Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4623 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 33 of 34
03 June 2012 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
I can relate to a lot of things mentioned, from my observations.

One thing that a fellow Englishman told me about was the custom of clinking glasses
with someone, and saying "Zum Wohl!". But you have to look the other person in the eye
while saying this. It can be quite an intimate thing, but it's not confined to lovers
(I don't think) (or men who want to become lovers of the beautiful woman opposite :-)
).

There are probably subtleties about it that I'm unaware of, and I wouldn't do it with a
German that I didn't know very well, and even then, only if they took the initiative.

Now, I love Germany, and the Germans, but I have to admit they do have their quirks :-)
Or that's my perception, especially among waiters and shop assistants. Usually I put
this down to cultural or linguistic misunderstandings of one sort or another, and I
usually assume that I'm in the wrong, so I try to figure out what I did wrong in some
situation where it's somehow been made clear to me that the person in question isn't
best pleased with me for some reason. And mostly I can't figure it out, and from my
perception, it comes over as a bit of a lack of flexibility on their part, which I
realise is akin to the clichéd observation about German rigidity.
More likely, it's because I've broken an unwritten rule, and don't realise it.

Now, you will often get bad service in England. Oh yes! :-) However, usually, no matter
how bad it is, it will usually be delivered with at least a veneer of politeness,
flexibility, and sometimes even humour. I suppose it's part of our "muddle through"
mentality. I think the Germans hate to "muddle through". Most of the time things just
work perfectly, but when they don't, the German is not happy. And then you know about
it.

Edited by montmorency on 03 June 2012 at 1:37am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Famos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4363 days ago

4 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: German*, English

Message 34 of 34
03 June 2012 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
You are right, German mentality and also language can feel very "direct" if you are not used to it.

If you found a nice T shirt in black but you ask: Could I have this one in red?" The response in a British shop would
be most likely "I am very sorry sir, but this is only available in black" . In Germany the answer would be a
simple:"No." Not an issue for a German, clear question, clear answer for a British customer this would be already
rude. So there is not much British politeness in Germany, but efficiency.

I learned it the "hard" way working with a lot of American and English colleagues, so if I a receive an email with a
question for something which is not possible or will not work if moved from the simple "No" to the " I am carefully
thought about it but I am very sorry to have to inform you that this will not be possible" For a German, a waste of
time but helps to keep the others happy.

Edited by Famos on 03 June 2012 at 12:15pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version