Language Learning Forum : Cultural Experiences in Foreign Languages Post Reply
34 messages over 5 pages: 1 24 5  Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6264 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 17 of 34
05 January 2012 at 11:37am | IP Logged 
Jeff, not saying that it's always like that, or that people are always conscious of the
reason for this fashion, but well-stocked bookcases in the living-room are ubiquitous
in Germany, even among people who are as likely to read a literary classic as I am to
watch Germany's Next Topmodel.

LebensForm wrote:
Going on the Goethe thing, this may seem like a dumb question, so
advanced apologies, but could his name be spelled with the ö? Göthe, since the ö makes
a oe equivalent... sorry if this has obvious answers. Just something I wondered.

Modern German words are not spelled with oe, the only time you'll see oe is as a
replacement for ö in crosswords or when someone doesn't have a German keyboard.
However, the original spelling must be preserved when it comes to names; "Göte" (th
also went out of use, we write "tun" instead of "thun" now) is just wrong.
Note that ae, oe, ue in names does not necessarily stand for ä, ö, ü. In my native
region, the Lower Rhine area, the E was historically used to lengthen a vowel. For
example,   my chemistry teacher's name was Paeßens, and it's pronounced Pahßens.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 18 of 34
05 January 2012 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Jeff, not saying that it's always like that, or that people are always conscious of the
reason for this fashion, but well-stocked bookcases in the living-room are ubiquitous
in Germany, even among people who are as likely to read a literary classic as I am to
watch Germany's Next Topmodel.

It is the same here. Book cases are simply the perfect wall paper. I do not know of any home with ethnic Norwegians where there are no books. I work at the book section of the flea market which my daughter's school organizes, and we do sometimes get people who come in and buy three meters of books, whith nice covers. Content does not matter.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 05 January 2012 at 11:46am

4 persons have voted this message useful

LebensForm
Austria
Joined 4844 days ago

212 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: German

Message 19 of 34
05 January 2012 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Modern German words are not spelled with oe, the only time you'll see oe is as a replacement for ö in crosswords or when someone doesn't have a German keyboard. However, the original spelling must be preserved when it comes to names; "Göte" (th also went out of use, we write "tun" instead of "thun" now) is just wrong. Note that ae, oe, ue in names does not necessarily stand for ä, ö, ü. In my native region, the Lower Rhine area, the E was historically used to lengthen a vowel. For example,   my chemistry teacher's name was Paeßens, and it's pronounced Pahßens.

Thanks for clearing that up!
1 person has voted this message useful

atama warui
Triglot
Japan
Joined 4495 days ago

594 posts - 985 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Japanese

Message 20 of 34
19 January 2012 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
The German weekly Der Spiegel has a Germany Survival Bible section with interesting articles written by expats that are more realistic than your sources. You might find the following articles relevant and/or interesting:

Brutally Honest
You Have What? - Mysterious Illness in Germany (Kreislaufzusammenbruch)
Baring It All - Get Naked with the Germans
Scoring a German - Flirting with Fräuleins, Hunting for Herren

I found those articles exagerrated. The original post also sounds like a collection of rather old customs. Today's Germans are relaxed people, not terribly different from the other Euros, who tend to turn more and more into a homogynous community already.
I'd think that the picture drawn in this thread might have been true in the 1970's.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5879 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 21 of 34
25 January 2012 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
What a fun thread! I'm not sure the "teen question" was addressed maybe I can help. I have a few of those in my house from time to time ^^

blackcherries wrote:
When eating or drinking together, wait until someone says Guten Appetit or wants to "anstossen" (click glasses to say "cheers". (Do young people do this too? Teens?)!)

No, not at all. As a rule, teens hate rules. Saying Guten Appetit is rather formal etiquette (Knigge). If you're sitting down to something rather formal (like somebody has a birthday) then it's good to wait to see if somebody might want to make a Prost. Other than that, the only eating custom that's really different is the thing with the silverware. I still eat/cut with my right hand and switch. My kids and my husband eat continental style. Also, silverware at the 5:00 o'clock position is a nice way to let the waiter know they can take your plate.

When I first came to Germany I had to get used to eating pizza and french fries with a fork, but now I've noticed things have loosened up a bit since I've been here ^^

blackcherries wrote:
Shake hands with someone you meet . Also when departing especially and definitely with people who are older. (Young people shake hands? Even when meeting someone new in highschool?)!)

Some girls hug each other and give each other a Wangenkuss (they touch lips to the cheek, rechts/links). It's a Turkish custom but also French and Italian -- so it comes across very well (no pun intended). But this is only reserved for really good friends. Foreigners are not expected to do this at all. Young men give each other the hand but if there's 10 friends waiting in one spot they don't normally waste time greeting each one with a handshake. It really varies. Sometimes they just hit each other, he-he. If you're new don't expect too much personal contact. The only contact a new person has to worry about is EYE contact. People will assume you're nervous if you don't look them in straight in the eye when saying hello.

blackcherries wrote:
Greet the people in your train compartment. The same goes for small restaurants and especially hotel dining rooms. (Really? Greeting everyone in a small restaurant seems time-consuming!)

I would never think to bother somebody in a restaurant by greeting them while they're seated and eating. I've never heard of that one. The only exception would be continental morning buffets in hotels -- but I'd only do this because I personally enjoy politeness. It's really not a big deal. Greeting people in a room is most common in small waiting rooms where everybody is all cramped and nobody is really happy to be there, like doctor's surgeries/offices. Basically, just glance around and mumble "Guten Tag". Then everybody in the room will mumble "Guten Tag" and then you can go about your business. Also,when you leave a store or doctor's office -- say "Auf Wiedersehen" or "Tschüss". It's just routine and doesn't mean anything personal. In stores it helps to signal the clerk that you've left the store.

Edited by Sunja on 25 January 2012 at 5:20pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4803 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 22 of 34
25 January 2012 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
About the flowers. Czechs have some traditions in common with Germans and giving the uneven number of flowers is one of them. There is one occasion when you are giving even numbers and that is a funeral. And I think it applies to later visits of the cemetary as well but I'm not sure as I prefer to bring candles.

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6346 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 23 of 34
25 January 2012 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
atama warui wrote:
Today's Germans are relaxed people, not terribly different from the other Euros, who tend to turn more and more into a homogynous community already.
I'd think that the picture drawn in this thread might have been true in the 1970's.

You might want to explain that to the large expat community that lives in Germany over at www.toytowngermany.com.

They often "complain" about all sorts of stereotypes like staring in the U-Bahn, not being able to cross on red...

A lot of posts over there are just letting off steam but they too have their list of strange behaviours.

My favorite are the passive-agressive notes that are left in the workplace.

:)

Edited by zenmonkey on 25 January 2012 at 11:53pm

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4770 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 24 of 34
13 March 2012 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
I think we all should be weary in overanalyzing all these supposed German 'oddities' when they seem to me
to be common across Europe. The continental style of eating is what I have observed everywhere except in North
America, and, having grown up with it, it doesn't seem odd to me, at all. In fact, I would hesitate to even peg the
United States with the 'American style' of eating, for I've seen people holding their utensils every which way
imaginable.

Some things, like cutting thin, Italian-style pizza with a fork and knife, seem just common-sense to me. I try to
refrain from touching as much as possible with my hands at the dinner table, when possible, so avoiding getting
my hands covered in pizza grease while dining out strikes me as practical. At home, whilst sitting with a pizza
box in front of the TV, sure, I'll use my hands.
And, obviously, certain things at the dinner table, like bread, mandate hand-use.

The flowers also seem rather obvious to me. First of all, worrying about an even number of flowers seems only
relevant if you're buying a scanty amount so as it to make it readily obvious that there are only four or six. Maybe
it's my aversion to symmetry when it comes to things like this, but even-numbered flower bouquets are not
visually appealing to me. I think bouquets look bigger, anyway, in odd numbers. -shrug-

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version