Groupie
Romania
Joined 5340 days ago

88 posts - 136 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, English, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 25 of 34
13 March 2012 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
I'm Romanian and I use the "American style" (hand-switching)... I did live in the US for three years, but I had been eating like this before I went to the States.

Apparently no other European does this, but no one ever said anything to me about it (including my parents - my mom was surprised just now when I told her that I switch the fork around, so she probably never noticed it before).

Until today I lived with the false impression that everyone eats like I do :(

On the other hand, Wikipedia says that the switching method was the traditional way of eating in Europe. British colonists brought it to America. The fork-only-in-the-left-hand thing is a relatively modern invention, apparently.

Edited by manish on 13 March 2012 at 5:58pm

1 person has voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4472 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 26 of 34
13 March 2012 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
About flowers, I was told that the reason was (in a romantic setting) that an odd number can't be "divided" (well, not by 2 and resulting in an integer, at least). Of course it is just something I was told...

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5354 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 27 of 34
24 March 2012 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
As no one has mentioned it, maybe people don't really do it much in practice, but judging by the TV advice-magazine-programmes, the Germans are terrified of Schimmelpilz, and you're supposed to air your dwelling for 5 minutes three times a day, long enough for the air to change, but not so long that the masonary starts to cool down. Even in Winter. Wear a coat if necessary. An interesting counterpoint to the fear of draughts/drafts.

I'm not really convinced that Walmart failed because of its Americanness. The service in its Berlin store was the same as at any large German Supermarket (The same goes for Asda, its subsidiary in the UK) I assume the discounters have got the market sown up, and it would be very difficult to break into, other than by buying one out, and as they are family concerns, that's not very likely.

One new tip: Keep your distance when queing at the cash machine. If the pavement is wide enough, the queue can start 3 or 4 metres away from the actual cash point.

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4785 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 28 of 34
28 April 2012 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
blackcherries wrote:
What people from other countries usually like (“Hey, open the window, let some fresh air in!”) is the most horrifying thing Germans can think of.

No... Normally I always have to ask the people around me to please close the window, because I am already freezing.

blackcherries wrote:
Due to a genetic misconstruction of the inner ear and the respiratory system in general... bla bla bla

This is an unfounded myth. From the medical point of view there is no difference between the average caucasian American and the average caucasian German.
In fact, American students at Medical School learn from the well-known anatomical atlas called Sobotta (named after the famous anatomist Johannes Sobotta). I doubt there are ANY comments about genetic differences between
Americans and Germans, not to mention any kind of generalizable genetic misconstructions of German inner ear and respiratory system in general. (Sorry, but I had laugh out loud!)

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 29 of 34
28 April 2012 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
Mae wrote:

blackcherries wrote:
Due to a genetic misconstruction of the inner ear and the respiratory system in general... bla bla bla

This is an unfounded myth. From the medical point of view there is no difference between the average caucasian American and the average caucasian German.
In fact, American students at Medical School learn from the well-known anatomical atlas called Sobotta (named after the famous anatomist Johannes Sobotta). I doubt there are ANY comments about genetic differences between
Americans and Germans, not to mention any kind of generalizable genetic misconstructions of German inner ear and respiratory system in general. (Sorry, but I had laugh out loud!)

I think this was sarcasm. Just give it a good laugh and forget it!
But it's quite interesting to read how Germans are being judged by other nations, nevertheless...

Edited by Josquin on 28 April 2012 at 7:06pm

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4785 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 30 of 34
28 April 2012 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:

Actually I don't "really" care, since I'm not German :-D
I just had to write something, because I was almost rolling over the floor laughing!

Edited by Mae on 28 April 2012 at 7:43pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4638 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 31 of 34
28 April 2012 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
Mae wrote:
Josquin wrote:

Actually I don't "really" care, since I'm not German :-D
I just had to write something, because I was almost rolling over the floor laughing!

Okay, understood! I must admit, it's rather hilarious! ;)
I think every nation has its pecularities and quirks, but nothing beats the German inner ear! ;)
But one could find a lot of Swiss clichés, too... (chocolate and cheese and neutrality...) So, watch out! ;)

Edited by Josquin on 28 April 2012 at 7:51pm

Sh'Naya
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 6552 days ago

48 posts - 65 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, French

Message 32 of 34
29 April 2012 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
There are two things I'd like to add regarding young Germans:

Quote:
SHAKING HANDS
For young students: Always wait for the older generation to offer their hand first.
Male: Always wait for the female to offer her hand first.
Don't forget to stand up to shake hands with people!
Shake hands with someone you meet . Also when departing especially and definitely with people who are older. (Young people shake hands? Even when meeting someone new in highschool?)

Yes, young people shake hands, especially when they meet someone new in highschool, at parties or elsewhere. However, after you have been introduced or introduced yourself, you normally greet or say goodbye with a short hug. This is especially true in discos, where you hug the person, even if you've only spoken a few words with each other after the introduction (This is not the case, if somebody tried to hook up with you, but when you were introduced by a shared friend or acquaintance). There are hugs between girls, girls and boys, and also between boys. To greet someone in such a setting by shaking hands often shows that you want to keep your distance. If you enter a room with lots of friends, you can simply raise your hand and say "Hi" or "Hallo".

Quote:
When eating or drinking together, wait until someone says Guten Appetit or wants to "anstossen" (click glasses to say "cheers". (Do young people do this too? Teens?)

Here, they sometimes say "Guten" or "Gud'n" (dialect) before starting to eat.

Something else:

Quote:
There is no line at the bakery or the butchers. (So, just these places?)

True, but this does not mean that there is no order. You have to be observant. Everyone who was in the bakery before you entered is in the invisible line ahead of you. When you miss your turn, people will oftentimes tell the salesperson that you are to be attended first. In big cities this is less likely to happen. The salesperson will have an eye on the chronological order as well and will ask "Who is next?", if he or she isn't sure.
There is no line at the pharmacy as well.

Quote:
LAUNDRY - CLOTHES

You do not have to have a different outfit for every day! (Do women in their 20's re-wear clothes without being made fun-of?)

The unwritten rule is: you can wear you clothes three days in a row, then you have to wash them. Of course you have to change your underwear and your socks every day.

Quote:
24 March 2012 at 4:25pm | IP Logged
As no one has mentioned it, maybe people don't really do it much in practice, but judging by the TV advice-magazine-programmes, the Germans are terrified of Schimmelpilz, and you're supposed to air your dwelling for 5 minutes three times a day, long enough for the air to change, but not so long that the masonary starts to cool down. Even in Winter.

Your actually supposed to air your rooms for 10 to 15 minutes three times a day in spring, summer and autumn and for 5 minutes three times a day in winter. Airing two times a day is enough for the working population (since nobody is at home for several hours).

Edited by Sh'Naya on 29 April 2012 at 3:18am

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version