United States
Joined 4797 days ago

24 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*, FrenchC1
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 49 of 58
02 January 2012 at 2:24am | IP Logged 
rivere123 wrote:
MSA and the dialects are Arabic. They are both widely considered by linguists one language. While you could say this makes it different from Spanish, it does not in the way I was referring too, which was demographically and geographically. They both cover a huge area and have several million speakers worldwide. The only real difference is that case of diglossia in the Gulf and Maghreb. This diglossia doesn't exactly represent the Arab-speaking world as a whole, but I'll admit this is a big blow to it being considered a World Language.

I think diglossia DOES affect the Arabi world as a whole, just to lesser degree in some areas than others. I think the reason why Arabic is lumped as one language has more to do with political nd cultural reasons than pure linguistic reasons. Mid eastern dialects definitely can be considered one language, despit differences, but between Moroccan and Iraqi, it wouldn't be a shocker if they were treated as separate, though related, languages.

I recommend you read "Questions Regarding Arabic" thread. Humdereel and Xaled gave great snwers regarding the language there.
1 person has voted this message useful

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5227 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 50 of 58
02 January 2012 at 2:27am | IP Logged 
SmilingStraw wrote:
UNLESS you actually meant that vernacular Arabic is different from MSA and CA, and I just didn't follow the sentyce correctly. =)

Whoops, my bad. Fixed. :x

SmilingStraw wrote:
May I ask, how long have you studied Arabic, if your studying it? Ive only read such good explanations from a few others on this forum.

Alas, I wouldn't consider myself to be actively studying it—it's just a small peripheral interest of mine. But thanks anyway. :)

rivere123 wrote:
MSA and the dialects are Arabic. They are both widely considered by linguists one language. While you could say this makes it different from Spanish, it does not in the way I was referring too, which was demographically and geographically. They both cover a huge area and have several million speakers worldwide. The only real difference is that case of diglossia in the Gulf and Maghreb. This diglossia doesn't exactly represent the Arab-speaking world as a whole, but I'll admit this is a big blow to it being considered a World Language.

Ok, so you were referring to demography and geography—fair enough. But to that point, I could counter with the issues of economic development and standards of living. Obviously, the Hispanosphere has its own economic problems—be it youth unemployment in Spain or consistently disappointing growth in Mexico—and living standards setbacks—be it high homicide rates across Latin America or impending "austerity measures" in Spain—but the situation is still much better and more stable than the current situation of the Arab world at the moment. Egypt is on the brink of running out of both money and food, and much of the rest of the region fares even worse (e.g., Syria), with only the authoritarian Kingdom of Saudi Arabia seeming particularly stable at the moment, aside from tiny oil-rich pseudo-countries like Qatar (total population: 55% non-Arab manual labor) and small, resource-poor countries like Jordan and Lebanon.

But I digress. What is or isn't a "world language" is a matter of how one defines the term, and that's purely subjective, so reaching a consensus on this matter isn't going to happen. :)

Edited by nway on 02 January 2012 at 2:30am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Mad Max
Tetraglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 4863 days ago

79 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, Russian
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 51 of 58
02 January 2012 at 11:34am | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:
Camundonguinho wrote:
Portuguese is spoken in Europe, South America,
Africa and Asia.

And Oceania. It is one of the official languages of East Timor.

Mad Max wrote:
Yes, but I said languages spoken in each continent by over 50 million
people. So,
Portuguese meets this requirement only in South America (Brazil).

The number of Portuguese language speakers in Africa is roughly equivalent to that of
Spanish in Europe, so if you want to count Spanish in Europe you would have to count
Portuguese in Africa. Of course, many other persons speak Spanish in Europe (myself
included), which is not true to Portuguese in Africa, but please don't discard the five
countries (some significant in numbers) where it is spoken. And a sixth where it's an
official language.

No. It is NOT true. I repeat it. When I post I read it before all the sources.
Portuguese in Africa is spoken by some 20 million people according to Wikipedia,
because not everybody speak it in Angola or Mozambique. So, Portuguese doesn't meet
the requirement of 50 million speakers. It is true that in the near future Portuguese
will meet this requirement, but not nowadays.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Africa

On the other hand, Spanish in Europe is spoken by a 15% of Europeans (only European
Union) according to the Eurobarometer 2006. So, some 75 million people speak it as
mother tongue or second language.

Another interesting point is the diglossia in the Arabic World. I speak Modern Standard
Arabic and I DON'T understand Moroccan Arabic. It is almost a different language. A
person from Iraq and another from Morocco speak different languages. If they don't
study MSA (and a lot of people in Morocco or Algeria speak it very bad), they need
English or French to understand each other.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5873 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 52 of 58
02 January 2012 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
Mad Max wrote:
Luso wrote:
Camundonguinho wrote:
Portuguese is spoken in Europe, South America,
Africa and Asia.

And Oceania. It is one of the official languages of East Timor.

Mad Max wrote:
Yes, but I said languages spoken in each continent by over 50 million
people. So,
Portuguese meets this requirement only in South America (Brazil).

The number of Portuguese language speakers in Africa is roughly equivalent to that of
Spanish in Europe, so if you want to count Spanish in Europe you would have to count
Portuguese in Africa. Of course, many other persons speak Spanish in Europe (myself
included), which is not true to Portuguese in Africa, but please don't discard the five
countries (some significant in numbers) where it is spoken. And a sixth where it's an
official language.

No. It is NOT true. I repeat it. When I post I read it before all the sources.
Portuguese in Africa is spoken by some 20 million people according to Wikipedia,
because not everybody speak it in Angola or Mozambique. So, Portuguese doesn't meet
the requirement of 50 million speakers. It is true that in the near future Portuguese
will meet this requirement, but not nowadays.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Africa

On the other hand, Spanish in Europe is spoken by a 15% of Europeans (only European
Union) according to the Eurobarometer 2006. So, some 75 million people speak it as
mother tongue or second language.

Actually, these are countries I know, and it works like this: not only there are a few million people that only speak Portuguese (maybe the 20 million you refer to), but the others also have to speak it, whenever they have to have things done. Oh, and that's also the language taught at school.

Mutatis mutandis, it's a bit like... er... your country. In some regions, as you well know, you can get by on your Catalan, Basque, or Galician, but it would be unthinkable not to know Castilian, .

Please note that I'm not writing this in order to make some point. To me, this 50 million limit is as valid as considering America to be two separate continents. Maybe I'm already quite old, but back when I studied, America was considered to be just one continent. It's all a convention.

And furthermore, we are always learning: a while ago, I read that Portuguese was the #1 language in the Southern Hemisphere. It turned out to be (arithmetically) true. Of no consequence, but true.

Edited by Luso on 02 January 2012 at 5:48pm

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4878 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 53 of 58
02 January 2012 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
Well, if the population of Spain is 46 million, assuming several more million expatriates of Spanish or Hispanic
origin in Europe, Spanish barely meets the requirement. I don't think foreign language speakers should be
included in this number since most do not speak it to fluency, and those who do live in Spain.

I disagree with the whole concept of coming up with an arbitrary number of speakers on an arbitrary number of
arbitrarily defined continents to define a concept as arbitrary as a "world language".

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4561 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 54 of 58
02 January 2012 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
And in Spain, many people speak it as the 2nd language: Galicians, Basques, Valencians, Balearics and Catalans. There are fewer than 40 million people in Spain who have Spanish as their 1st language.

Edited by Camundonguinho on 02 January 2012 at 4:38pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Mad Max
Tetraglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 4863 days ago

79 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, Russian
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 55 of 58
02 January 2012 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
"Actually, these are countries I know, and it works like this: not only there are a few
million people that only speak Portuguese (maybe the 20 million you refer to), but the
others also have to speak it, whenever they have to have things done. Oh, and that's
also the language taught at school."

Well, it can be true. Anyway, the population of Angola, Mozambique, Sao Tome, Guinea
Bissau and Cape Verde, all together, is 37 million and not 50.

"I disagree with the whole concept of coming up with an arbitrary number of speakers on
an arbitrary number of
arbitrarily defined continents to define a concept as arbitrary as a "world language"."

Yes. It is arbitrary, of course.

"And in Spain, many people speak it as the 2nd language: Galicians, Basques,
Valencians, Balearics and Catalans. There are fewer than 40 million people in Spain who
have Spanish as their 1st language."

Well, the number of Spanish speakers in Spain as mother tongue is 41.96 and everybody
speak it as mother tongue or second language.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idioma_espa%C3%B1ol

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5873 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 56 of 58
03 January 2012 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
Mad Max wrote:

Well, it can be true. Anyway, the population of Angola, Mozambique, Sao Tome, Guinea
Bissau and Cape Verde, all together, is 37 million and not 50.

According to Wikipedia (which you quote a few times), if you add just Angola and Mozambique (2009 and 2007 data respectively, and we know the population growth trend in such countries), you arrive to 38,5 millions.

This in pt.wikipedia; should you check en.wikipedia, you get a bit more: just over 40 millions for these two countries.

Edited by Luso on 03 January 2012 at 1:12am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version