58 messages over 8 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 8 Next >>
Nguyen
Vietnam
Joined 4905 days ago

109 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese

Message 25 of 58
30 December 2011 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
I suppose Mandarin could almost be considered a lingua franca according to the OP's criteria based on the fact that, for the majority of the 850,000,000 speakers it is a second language. Granted that most of these speakers are confined within China's borders. I wouldn't consider it a world language though as it's usefulness is confined, with the exception of Singapore and Taiwan, to one country.

The notable languages that are usefull beyond there original borders would be more in line with the original definition: English, Spanish, French and Portugese. I would definitely add Arabic also.
1 person has voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4584 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 26 of 58
30 December 2011 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
Nguyen wrote:
I suppose Mandarin could almost be considered a lingua franca according to the OP's criteria based on the fact that, for the majority of the 850,000,000 speakers it is a second language.

I'm confused about this statement. Which Mandarin are you talking about, the standard register based on the Beijing dialect that is taught in schools nationwide or the whole Mandarin dialect group which is generally considered to be a single Sinitic language? 850,000,000 is the number of the native speakers of all the Mandarin dialects put together; the total number of "Chinese" speakers, many of whom speak Standard Chinese as a second language, is closer to 1.2 billion. I don't speak Mandarin, so I cannot judge about the mutual intelligibility between, say, Beijing and Sichuan Mandarin dialects, but most of the linguistics sources I have seen treat them as the same language, as opposed to Cantonese, Hakka, Taiwanese and other non-Mandarin Sinitic languages. The only Mandarin dialect that is largely considered to be a separate language is Dungan, for reasons similar to why Maltese is considered a separate language from Arabic, so I'm not sure if the majority of the 850,000,000 Mandarin speakers can be considered second language speakers of Standard Chinese.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Fortwenster
Diglot
United States
Joined 4797 days ago

24 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*, FrenchC1
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 27 of 58
30 December 2011 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
My thoughts of world languages:

English
Spanish
French
Portuguese
Mandarin Chinese
Arabic
Russian

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6394 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 28 of 58
30 December 2011 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
vonPeterhof wrote:
I don't speak Mandarin, so I cannot judge about the mutual intelligibility between, say,
Beijing and Sichuan Mandarin dialects, but most of the linguistics sources I have seen treat them as the same
language, as opposed to Cantonese, Hakka, Taiwanese and other non-Mandarin Sinitic languages. The only
Mandarin dialect that is largely considered to be a separate language is
Dungan, for reasons similar to why Maltese is
considered a separate language from Arabic, so I'm not sure if the majority of the 850,000,000 Mandarin
speakers can be considered second language speakers of Standard Chinese.

As far as I know, all varieties of Mandarin are considered mutually intelligible, although it might take some
getting used to the rural version of some of the dialects. And Dungan is also considered mutually intelligible with
Mandarin.

Mandarin is of course a lingua franca for hundreds of millions of non-native speakers, and the only reason why
it's not spoken in as many countries as European languages is because China preferred to conquer neighbours
rather than faraway lands, and China has never let go of any conquered territory the way the Western counties
have withdrawn (for better or worse) from their colonies. Heck, China still claims ownership of Taiwan!

--

More general thoughts on the topic: "World language" is another of those meaningless words that can mean
different things to different people. "World" is not commonly used as an adjective and has no clear meaning when
used in a composite noun like this, so the concept is pretty elusive and people can read different things into it. I
prefer to use other, clearer terms. We could talk about "international languages", which would be easier to define.
Swahili is clearly an International language. Dutch is as clearly an "intercontinental language", albeit a very small
one. We could probably coin a term like "giant language" or something, to describe languages with a large
numbers of native speakers, such as Mandarin and Hindustani. These sorts of terms make it easier to know what
the heck we're discussing, although they, too, can be hard to define in edge cases. But "world language" just
muddles things.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4561 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 29 of 58
30 December 2011 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
If we give a status of a World language to Mandarin, we should give it to Bengali too.
4 persons have voted this message useful

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5644 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 30 of 58
31 December 2011 at 3:43am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

According to that definition, I would include all the languages mentioned in the OPs post, except Hindustani/Hindi. I do not know of any school in Europe where they teach Hindi.

And you may say that this is just Europe, to which I will retort that I am a European, and my view is based on that. I'll leave the floor open to people from other regions of the world to give their input.

Urdu is definitely taught in some schools in Britain and it is offered as an examination subject at GCSE and A Level. I think it tends to be ethnic minority children with a home background in the language who opt to take it. Both Hindi and Urdu can be studied at the School of Oriental and African Studies in London to degree level and beyond.
3 persons have voted this message useful

SmilingStraw
Diglot
United States
Joined 4722 days ago

35 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 31 of 58
01 January 2012 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
More general thoughts on the topic: "World language" is another of those meaningless words that can mean
different things to different people. "World" is not commonly used as an adjective and has no clear meaning when
used in a composite noun like this, so the concept is pretty elusive and people can read different things into it. I
prefer to use other, clearer terms. We could talk about "international languages", which would be easier to define.
Swahili is clearly an International language. Dutch is as clearly an "intercontinental language", albeit a very small
one. We could probably coin a term like "giant language" or something, to describe languages with a large
numbers of native speakers, such as Mandarin and Hindustani. These sorts of terms make it easier to know what
the heck we're discussing, although they, too, can be hard to define in edge cases. But "world language" just
muddles things.

Yeah, I agree. My original intentions were to discuss how each of the languages met the "requirements" listed in the Wikipedia artcle, but I worded it as "what do you think?", making it head another way.

But, yeah, so then...

Which languages could be considered international or intercontinental?

Mad Max
Tetraglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 4863 days ago

79 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, Russian
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 32 of 58
01 January 2012 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
Well, an Intercontinental language, spoken in at least 2 continents by over 50 million
people are 5:

English 4 (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Africa)

Spanish 3 (North America, Europe, South America)

French 2 (Africa, Europe)

Arabic 2 (Africa, Asia)

Russian 2 (Europe, Asia)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version