Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Understand Asia as a continent/cultures.

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
21 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5227 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 17 of 21
30 December 2011 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
Thor1987 wrote:
Aside from the himmalaya's all of asia's cultures generally blends together.

Not to offend, but that seems to be more a consequence of an outsider's ignorance than an intrinsic truth. The Philippines and Indonesia share more in common, in terms of social norms, with Latin America than Japan or Korea.

I've posted this once before, and I remember someone on this forum was "deeply offended" by it, but I think it's relevant and bears reposting:

Well, there ya go. It's already been quantified and measured. Gotta love science.

It ought to go without saying, but notice how countries from different continents are dispersed amongst each other.
1 person has voted this message useful

Thor1987
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4546 days ago

65 posts - 84 votes 
Studies: German

Message 18 of 21
31 December 2011 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
Nice graph but it leaves many other componets like ethnicity and language.

Second my best friends wife/very friendly in laws are cebuano speakers from the
philopines, so i think I got a grasp on the culture. But keep in mind that malaysia
blends with indonesia and indochine,which spans to china.

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5227 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 

Message 19 of 21
31 December 2011 at 5:14am | IP Logged 
^ Not sure what you mean by either of those two points.

Thor1987
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4546 days ago

65 posts - 84 votes 
Studies: German

Message 20 of 21
31 December 2011 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
I have a pretty solid understanding of the phillipines, but I do understand from what
I've heard from my malay/indonesian/singporean friend that malayasia has alot in common
with vietnam/china/indonesia.

The first point was that the graph looks pretty good, but it's leaving out several
cultural aspects, such as language.

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5227 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 

Message 21 of 21
31 December 2011 at 5:42am | IP Logged 
Thor1987 wrote:
I have a pretty solid understanding of the phillipines, but I do understand from what
I've heard from my malay/indonesian/singporean friend that malayasia has alot in common
with vietnam/china/indonesia.

Malaysia is roughly half Chinese and half Malay. It goes without saying (or rather, ought to) that Malaysian Malays will share many cultural similarities with Indonesians (and to a lesser extent, Filipinos), while Malaysian Chinese will share many cultural similarities with Singaporeans and Chinese. Many Chinese would consider Vietnamese culture completely different from Chinese culture (generally for the worse, but I digress).

Thor1987 wrote:
The first point was that the graph looks pretty good, but it's leaving out several cultural aspects, such as language.

Language isn't an intrinsic cultural aspect. At its roots, it's merely a collection of vocabulary and grammar. Only on an indirect level does it affect culture by bridging or isolating a community to and from other communities (e.g., Filipinos, being Anglophones, are often exposed to American culture, whereas Vietnamese generally aren't). But this survey side-stepped superficial aspects like language and ethnicity and cut to the core values of the world's communities (thus its name).

Edited by nway on 31 December 2011 at 5:43am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version