Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Understand Asia as a continent/cultures.

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
21 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
Thor1987
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4546 days ago

65 posts - 84 votes 
Studies: German

Message 1 of 21
29 December 2011 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
I'm starting to learn asian languages, mandarin and hindi, and having trouble
resolving the contrast from learning european languages versus asian.

I.E. europeans are a race or at least share a great deal of common ancestry, whereas
asia is very mixed and diverse.
Europe for the most part has indo european language, while asia has many many language
groups completely unrelated to each other.
Europe is relatively unified politically, asia is a mix of everything.
Europe is economically predictable, and is well established. Asia, is unified, and it's
future is very unpredictable as it's emerging from the bottom.
Europe's history, and it's people, have large themes that unify them, whereas asia is
much more diverse.

Anyhow I'm hoping this thread will not just be limited to what I've mentioned but your
issues as well.
1 person has voted this message useful

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5772 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 2 of 21
29 December 2011 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
Much of this problem is resolved by realizing that Asia is an artificial construct drawn up arbitrarily by Europeans. The term "Asia" is so all-encompassing that it borders on meaningless. It's better to think of East Asia and South Asia as entirely separate entities and forget about the term "Asia".
10 persons have voted this message useful

JimmyJameskun
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5760 days ago

35 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Indonesian

Message 3 of 21
29 December 2011 at 3:13am | IP Logged 
Hmm, yeah I was always wondering why the label Asia encompassed something so huge... like a 'miscellaneous'
pile. Don't forget to add the "Middle East" along with East Asia and South Asia.

At the same time, you have these different kinds of politics and odd Western classification systems that don't line up
with Asia.

If we look in China, we have Cantonese and Mandarin as part of the Chinese language but they are as diverse as
French and Italian where speakers trying to decipher the other language may understand a bit.
If we look at Japan, the Japanese have borrowed the Chinese writing system and many of their words, but if we go
back in time, we see that the Japanese language is unrelated to Chinese. The closest relative seems to be Korean...
but this releases a whole lot of other questions in my head... such as what does this language history mean for the
history of the people?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6968 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 4 of 21
29 December 2011 at 5:37am | IP Logged 
Thor1987 wrote:
I'm starting to learn asian languages, mandarin and hindi, and having trouble
resolving the contrast from learning european languages versus asian.

I.E. europeans are a race or at least share a great deal of common ancestry, whereas
asia is very mixed and diverse.
Europe for the most part has indo european language, while asia has many many language
groups completely unrelated to each other.
Europe is relatively unified politically, asia is a mix of everything.
Europe is economically predictable, and is well established. Asia, is unified, and it's
future is very unpredictable as it's emerging from the bottom.
Europe's history, and it's people, have large themes that unify them, whereas asia is
much more diverse.

Anyhow I'm hoping this thread will not just be limited to what I've mentioned but your
issues as well.

Pretty much what has been said so far is needed for you to examine this contrast and then some.

Our reference points are based heavily on what a handful of scholars based in Europe thought (who ironically couldn't have gone as far as they did without a bunch of "Asians" sometimes called "Arabs" who preserved some conclusions drawn by Ancient Greeks and passed on something called Indo-Arabic numerals).

Why is it called "The Middle East" and the "Far East"? Longitudinal 0 was devised to cross some village in Britain called Greenwich. In some ways, Europe is hardly a continent but just a densely populated peninsula of western (Eur)Asia. However it would never do for people considering themselves "Europeans" to be lumped in with the easterners... I mean the nerve of those people in Cathay to call their land "The Middle Country/Kingdom"! :-P

Another thing that I think you may need to reconsider is the idea that Europeans who speak Indo-European languages share some ethnic kinship. The trouble is that languages don't really mix in the way that genes do (i.e. they don't have sex) and the idea of tying ethnicity to language doesn't really solve anything (in fact I'd argue that the equation creates more problems than it supposedly solves). It's compromised fatally when confronted with entities such as Canada, the USA or even Russia where many people there of acknowledged different ethnic backgrounds speak only one of two Indo-European languages. I'll leave it to you to figure out which those are.

Your points of reference seem skewed toward today's alignment. The concept of Europeans cooperating or trying to work toward relatively even-handed intra-integration is striking when compared with events such as the Great Schism, The 100 Years' War, The 30 Years' War, WWI, WWII, Napoleonic Wars, and the Vikings' expeditions/raids among many conflicts.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Thor1987
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4546 days ago

65 posts - 84 votes 

Message 5 of 21
29 December 2011 at 8:28am | IP Logged 
lichtrausch wrote:
Much of this problem is resolved by realizing that Asia is an
artificial construct drawn up arbitrarily by Europeans. The term "Asia" is so all-
encompassing that it borders on meaningless. It's better to think of East Asia and
South Asia as entirely separate entities and forget about the term "Asia".

I do agree for some part, I prefer the east and indian subcontinent versus asia, but
there are some problems with this.

People from say the phillopines, singapoor, etc, would rather be grouped with a
continent, instead of cultures like china or india, which is what happens when you
people get grouped in with east asians or south asian`s etc.

Asia for the most part has little connection to the atlantic,
making it very much isolated from the western countries.

Asia is rising as an economic entity in a way that is unique in contrast to brazil and
russia.

Eurasia is I guess a better way to look at thing, but it seems hard to convert to the
concept.

Asian as a immigrant group are a important player demographically in canada where I
live.

P.S. don`t think I`m overly caught up on the issue I prefer the discussion over a
defined answer.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6394 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 6 of 21
29 December 2011 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
Thor1987 wrote:
Asian as a immigrant group are a important player demographically in canada where I live.

In which you include Indians and people from the Middle East? "Asian" as an ethnic term tends to mean "East Asian", in my experience.

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5215 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 7 of 21
29 December 2011 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
Few years ago I stopped looking at Europe as a continent but simply as a sub-continent or
a large peninsula of Asia. In that case, Europe is equivalent to for example China,
India, Russia, Persia or Arabia, i.e. it is mostly unified in one way or another, but
just as much diverse in terms of language, religion, politics, etc.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Thor1987
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4546 days ago

65 posts - 84 votes 

Message 8 of 21
29 December 2011 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
Thor1987 wrote:
Asian as a immigrant group are a important player
demographically in canada where I live.

In which you include Indians and people from the Middle East? "Asian" as an ethnic term
tends to mean "East Asian", in my experience.
In canada south asian is used just
as much as east asian.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version