Triglot
Spain
Joined 4716 days ago

36 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: Bulgarian*, Spanish, English
Studies: German, Russian

Message 17 of 31
27 December 2011 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
My native language is Bulgarian and I'm almost sure I wouldn't learn it if I wasn't Bulgarian, simply because there are a lot of languages which are more useful and popular. If I had to learn a Slavic language, I guess I would go for a language with more native speakers, like Russian or Polish. Besides, how many members of this forum are actually interested in learning Bulgarian? Less than 20, probably. Even languages with less native speakers than Bulgarian, like Norwegian or Danish are being learned by more people.

So, I guess that if I was from any other European country, I would aim at Europe's Big Seven (English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian). If I was from any other part of the world, I can't say.

Edit: I made a typo...

Edited by georgiqg on 29 December 2011 at 10:38pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tokenrove
Diglot
Canada
cipht.netRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4533 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Swedish, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 18 of 31
28 December 2011 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
As an anglophone, I'm, on one hand, disappointed that it is my native language, as it can
often be hard to escape it when trying to learn other languages. On the other hand, it
fills me with great sadness to see so many people who feel "forced" to learn English and
see no benefit to it -- through studying other languages I've come to feel great pride in
the body of English culture and its versatility as a language. I imagine myself growing
up Spanish (which almost happened), and can't imagine I wouldn't have been drawn to the
same body of literature that inspired Borges so. But I would have loved to have been
born to a more grammatically interesting language like Finnish or Hungarian.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 19 of 31
28 December 2011 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
As for choosing your native language, well not sure but i'd not want English (unless I could be bilingual) because so many things would be alien to me in foreign languages. I'd pick Finnish or Icelandic or another language with cases (and preferably genders too).

kyknos
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5308 days ago

103 posts - 140 votes 
Speaks: Slovak, Czech*, English
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 20 of 31
28 December 2011 at 1:12am | IP Logged 
If I were some completely random person somewhere in the world, I would probably not have any reason to learn Czech. However judging from my family history, if it were still me (just in a slightly alternative history), the most probable native language other than Czech would be German and I would probably live in Austria. I would then probably choose Czech as the locally best accessible Slavic language. And also for the cheap pubs with excellent beer :).

I hope it makes sense, it is too late.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 21 of 31
28 December 2011 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
kyknos wrote:
If I were some completely random person somewhere in the world, I would probably not have any reason to learn Czech. However judging from my family history, if it were still me (just in a slightly alternative history), the most probable native language other than Czech would be German and I would probably live in Austria. I would then probably choose Czech as the locally best accessible Slavic language. And also for the cheap pubs with excellent beer :).

I hope it makes sense, it is too late.
it makes sense and you got me thinking of the specific places where i could end up. my grandparents got married in Moldova and lived there for some time. if they had stayed and I was born there I'd probably end up learning Russian, but if I was born in Romania or Hungary I wouldn't I guess.

my grandpa was from Siberia originally and i don't wanna think of ending up in most places in Asia... but there i'd be more likely to learn Russian, i suppose.

Edited by Serpent on 28 December 2011 at 2:09am

lindseylbb
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4744 days ago

92 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, Cantonese*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 22 of 31
28 December 2011 at 3:24am | IP Logged 
Of course yes. If I were still me. There isnt much language written in characters, right? I love things unique. And I love things difficult so the whole why-chinese-is-so-damn-hard doesn't bother me at all. Not to mention its literature, history, philosophy, politics and economy. it's definitely fun. But the thing is, I wouldn't have known its rich culture if I am not chinese. And I wander if patriotism is working.

NickJS
United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4771 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 23 of 31
28 December 2011 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
I'd only learn English for the utility it provides and the fact that it is required for
quite a large amount of things such as popular movies and books. Other than that I
probably would not learn it.

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4878 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 24 of 31
28 December 2011 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
georgiqg wrote:
My native language is Bulgarian and I'm almost sure I wouldn't learn it if I wasn't Bulgarian,
simply because there are a lot of languages which are more useful and popular. If I had to learn a Slavic language, I
guess I would go for a language with more native speakers, like Russian or Polish. Besides, how many members of
this forum are actually interested in learning Bulgarian? Less than 20, probably.

I second that. It's unfortunate too since there really aren't adequate resources to feed such an interest either.

Edited by Kartof on 28 December 2011 at 3:51am

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version