Michael K.
United States
Joined 5541 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 25 of 28
26 December 2011 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
My mom took Spanish in high school and can only say "dame dos cervezas" (give me 2 beers), which is useless since my parents and most of my family are teetotalers.

My dad took Spanish in high school and 2 years of Russian at West Point. I think he can say the first line of a Christmas carol in Russian but besides that not much more. He had to take the test that the Army gives to see if you could be trained as a linguist during a Russian class, I don't know how he did, but since he was in the Signal Corp and never left the US while on active duty, probably not well enough.
1 person has voted this message useful

Humdereel
Octoglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4790 days ago

90 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written), Turkish, Persian, Urdu
Studies: Russian

Message 26 of 28
26 December 2011 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
My parents grew up in Spanish-speaking countries, so when they came to the U.S., they had to learn English. Other than that, however, my parents never truly tried studying another language, at least to my knowledge.

I'm the only person in my immediate family that has taken an interest in languages.

HenryMW
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4986 days ago

125 posts - 179 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, French
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 27 of 28
26 December 2011 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
My parents speak only English and despite my best efforts do not want to learn any
languages. My brother speaks only English. Two of my grandparents spoke only English and
two spoke Yiddish and English, but I never knew them that well. Extended family is the
same. I'm that guy in the family. My inspiration was the slow progress I was making in my
high school French class and stumbling on Francois Micheloud's homepage.

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4584 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 28 of 28
26 December 2011 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
Both of my parents speak passable English, so I'm not sure if they qualify. My father has tried learning German, Korean and Kazakh at various points in his life, but didn't really get far in any of those languages and doesn't remember much of them beyond the personal pronouns and numerals. My mother is half-Korean and half-German, born and raised in Uzbekistan, but she grew up speaking nothing but Russian and never really tried to master any of those other languages. I'm not sure if they influenced my interest in languages directly, to me it looks like it just sort of "happened" - I started learning Kazakh because I was living in Kazakhstan, took up German because of my ancestry and because it was offered at my school, and English simply goes without saying. It wasn't until I started my self-study of Japanese at the age of 20, without any prompts from my parents or any immediate necessity, that I began seriously learning languages with the aim of becoming functionally multilingual, or at least fluent in more than two languages.

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version