Triglot
United States
Joined 5062 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Latin, German

Message 17 of 28
25 December 2011 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
My dad knows English only. My mom and her side of the family know English and Spanish.
1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4942 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 18 of 28
25 December 2011 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
Neither of my parents spoke any language other than English, but...

My parents moved to Phoenix, AZ shortly before retirement. After my mom died, we were going through all the stuff left behind in their house before selling it. I found a couple Spanish course books that my mom had acquired at some point after they'd moved there.

So she had an interest in learning the language, but it's something I wasn't aware of while she was alive.

R.
==

birthdaysuit
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4629 days ago

48 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Swedish

Message 19 of 28
25 December 2011 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
No one around me was multilingual, unfortunately. My mother did, however, have an
interest in French (she didn't hesitate buying those awful Linguaphone cassettes they
used to advertise years ago) and she really encouraged us with our languages. Today she
is still "learning" Spanish, mainly stopping and starting with Michel Thomas (I
introduced her to it). But since I've become obsessed, and she sees the progress I'm
making, I think it's encouraging her to spend more time on it.

For the time being, though, I'm quite happy to be the person to whom my family refers
when people ask them "is anyone in your family multilingual?" Lol, it's gotta start
somewhere, right?

Edited by birthdaysuit on 25 December 2011 at 6:18pm

orion
United States
Joined 6833 days ago

622 posts - 678 votes 
Studies: German, Russian

Message 20 of 28
25 December 2011 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
Neither of my parents spoke anything but English, although my mom did take a year of French in high school in the early 1960's. She never really kept up with it though. My dad has never expressed any interest in anything foreign that I know of.

rivere123
United States
Joined 4642 days ago

129 posts - 182 votes 
Studies: French

Message 21 of 28
25 December 2011 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
Nearly all of my family over the age of 45 can speak French, which has been an inspiration for me.

Kevin Hsu
Triglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4550 days ago

60 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: English, Mandarin*, Korean
Studies: German

Message 22 of 28
26 December 2011 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
My family moved to Canada when I was in elementary so all my family members are
bilingual. It was my grade 8 French teacher who inspired me though.

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6677 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 23 of 28
26 December 2011 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
My parents aren't keen on languages. However, my great-great uncle was a British Army intepreter in World War 2. He learned French and German, which was useful when he took part in the D-Day landings! When he was in his 60s he learned Spanish for fun.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Carisma
Diglot
Argentina
Joined 5434 days ago

104 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC1
Studies: Italian, Mandarin

Message 24 of 28
26 December 2011 at 5:28am | IP Logged 
My mother achieved a B1 level in English during her youth, but lost it with time. My dad
never knew English very well, although he did take some classes. He also took Italian at
school, and he can still understand it, but probably it is more because Italian and
Argentine Spanish are somewhat similar than due to the fact that he still retains some
knowledge. You know, my family is pretty intellectual, but no one has ever been as
interested in foreign languages as me. I do not know what made me so interested... I
learnt to speak English really well because I was lucky enough to get good teachers and
because of my undying love for Harry Potter, that eventually led to an undying love to
all things British. Ánd I guess I just had this very superficial desire to learn a third
language, just as another achievement. Then I discovered this forum and my passion for
languages increased a lot.

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version