Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4547 days ago

40 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 1 of 28
24 December 2011 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
I watched that youtube series from Dr.Arguelles about the different language series. He mentioend his dad being a polyglot in a few of them. I imagine this is where he drew his inspiration from?

Do your parents learn languages or did they at one time? Are your parents, brothers, sisters multilingual? Did it inspire you?

My mother spoke zulu before she could speak English and my dad spoke afrikaans before he could speak English. However English is their native language. They don't speak these languages around the house and I imagine they have lost a bit over the years. My mom can still speak zulu though. When we go back home she can speak zulu to the maid for example. My dads parents arent even of dutch origin so I have no idea why or how he learnt afrikaans before English. His parents dont speak it around the house. I dont really know what happened there. So basically their multilinguism never really inspired me and they never actively learnt a language.
1 person has voted this message useful

anjathilina
Diglot
United States
Joined 6416 days ago

33 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin
Studies: Hindi

Message 2 of 28
24 December 2011 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
When he was in his forties and I was in jr. high, my then-monolingual dad decided to
learn Russian. Suddenly the house was filled with Russian music and movies, and Russian
friends my dad suddenly found somehow. :) My interest in languages had started before
that, but that certainly made an impression. Dad continues to work on perfecting his
Russian.
4 persons have voted this message useful

yaboycon
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4547 days ago

40 posts - 50 votes
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 3 of 28
24 December 2011 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
anjathilina wrote:
When he was in his forties and I was in jr. high, my then-monolingual dad decided to
learn Russian. Suddenly the house was filled with Russian music and movies, and Russian
friends my dad suddenly found somehow. :) My interest in languages had started before
that, but that certainly made an impression. Dad continues to work on perfecting his
Russian.

but you do not studdy russian yourself? You have no desire to?

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6721 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 28
24 December 2011 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
My dad was born in 1943, had maybe three years of English in school (back then...), but has been actively interested in anglophone music and movies ever since, and corresponds regularly with people from USA and UK. My mom has studied some German in addition to English.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5578 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 5 of 28
24 December 2011 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Mother's side of the family. The women of my father's side are bi- or trilingual as well. During my primary school years, my mum studied Spanish at university and she had a boyfriend who was more or less fluent in seven languages. (Sadly, that is about the only good thing I can say about him.)

So, I didn't grow up using several languages but I did grow up believing that it was more or less natural to learn several languages.

NickJS
United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4771 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 6 of 28
24 December 2011 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
I don't think my parents ever studied any languages, my brother apparently studied German
for quite some time though. Other than that I think I'm the only person in the whole of
my family with an interest in languages.

However I mainly grew up with bilingual friends all my life though, but my parents did
not, so I do not think they ever felt the need/urge to learn a language. They still
manage to inspire me though by taking an interest (sometimes).

mikonai
Diglot
United States
weirdnamewriting.bloRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4741 days ago

178 posts - 281 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Swahili, German

Message 7 of 28
24 December 2011 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
My parents learned Swahili in six-month intense language school in order to be
missionaries. Unfortunately I wasn't old enough for the whole time we were in East Africa
to pick up very much, and honestly I wasn't really interested at the time (We were there
for four years, though, and I was only ten when we arrived back in the States). They
still speak it now and then around the house, if they don't want us kids to readily
understand what they're saying, or else if a friend from Africa calls.

I can't say whether or not it made me want to learn a language or not, but Swahili is
definitely on my hit list now, and it probably doesn't hurt either that my mother is a
Speech Language Pathologist and loves usage of the English language, so I've grown up
with the enjoyment of the language I already do speak, with all of its oddities.

anjathilina
Diglot
United States
Joined 6416 days ago

33 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin
Studies: Hindi

Message 8 of 28
24 December 2011 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
yaboycon wrote:
anjathilina wrote:
When he was in his forties and I was in jr.
high, my then-monolingual dad decided to
Russian.

but you do not studdy russian yourself? You have no desire to?

I did study Russian back in the day, inspired by my dad. It's a beautiful language and
I love the Cyrillic alphabet. But my high school didn't offer Russian, so I took
Japanese, loved it, went to Japan as an exchange student... and since then the people
I've encountered and places I've been have led me to be more interested in other
languages. I doubt I'll get back to Russian, because there are so many other languages
I want to learn that have edged it back in my list, but you never know!

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version