Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 17 of 22
28 December 2011 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Christmas has not come to yet.

When does it come, and how do you celebrate it when it comes?

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 28 December 2011 at 2:50pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4868 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 18 of 22
28 December 2011 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
On the 7th of January. I usually don't celebrate it.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 19 of 22
28 December 2011 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
Yeah it's more of a religious holiday here... Cristin, haven't you heard of this? :O The Russian Orthodox Church still uses the Julian calendar. Also, during the USSR times at one point everything Christmassy was forbidden as religious, even Christmas trees, and then when the ban was lifted it was only allowed to celebrate New Year but not Christmas.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4942 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 20 of 22
28 December 2011 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Yeah it's more of a religious holiday here... Cristin, haven't you heard of this? :O The Russian Orthodox Church still uses the Julian calendar. Also, during the USSR times at one point everything Christmassy was forbidden as religious, even Christmas trees, and then when the ban was lifted it was only allowed to celebrate New Year but not Christmas.

Interesting. When I saw the date, I had just assumed it was in celebration of Epiphany (which is indeed a religious celebration).

Although if you happen to be in Madrid on Jan 6, for example, you'll see Epiphany being celebrated in the form of a huge party and spectacular parade.

R.
==

JimmyJameskun
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5760 days ago

35 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Indonesian

Message 21 of 22
29 December 2011 at 3:35am | IP Logged 
Hmm, interesting to hear other people's Christmas's and/or non-Christmas's in other languages. Here in the San
Francisco Bay Area, my parents do all the cards and chocolates. Otherwise, the conversations during our dinner was
either English or Cantonese. English for the newer generation (us) and Cantonese for the older generation (parents,
aunts, and uncles). Our dinner was mainly chinese cuisine though!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 22 of 22
29 December 2011 at 5:07am | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:

Interesting. When I saw the date, I had just assumed it was in celebration of Epiphany (which is indeed a religious celebration).

Although if you happen to be in Madrid on Jan 6, for example, you'll see Epiphany being celebrated in the form of a huge party and spectacular parade.

R.
==
In our calendar that's January 19th :) I'd say for most Russians, it's as important/unimportant as Christmas.

and we also have Old New Year on January 13th :D and wow it seems to be a bigger thing in Serbia

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version