Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 22
24 December 2011 at 8:42am | IP Logged 
At Christmas time in particular I am reminded of how international our society has become. Through my job I send Christmas cards to people from 20-30 different nationalities, and personally I usually write a 4 page Christmas letter in Spanish, English and Norwegian to send to my friends and relatives. This year I did not have time for the Spanish one, so it was just in two languages, but it went out to people from Norway, Denmark,Poland, France, Spain, Ukraine, Belgium, England, Portugal, Italy, Germany, Israel and the US. I also received a message in Faroese through Facebook from a relative - and was quite pleased to see that I understood it.

I was also very excited, when I discovered that we have a Greek relative, who will even come to dinner on the 27th!!! He is the husband of my husbands cousin, and I have only met her once (in my wedding 18 years ago, and I did not get to talk to her) and I have never met him, and didn't realize his existence until a week ago, but hey, family is family.

I have always found it unfair that I have no exotic relatives, they are all from Norway, Iceland and the Faroe Islands, South Africa and the US. - and these last 4 ones all descendants of Norwegians. The only foreign blood I have in my veins is Swedish - which is not terribly exotic, and anyway we are talking just 1/16 part here, and no relatives to show for it.

But a real Greek! Now we are talking! Otherwise I have friends in Spain and Ukraine that I consider more family than my family.

So how about the rest of you: How international is your Christmas?

And before I get up and dive into preparing a Christmas eve, let me take the occasion to wish all of you on the forum a particularly happy Christmas.

May all your wishes come true, and may you get many language related presents and many hours of good rest and a great new year of language learning.

A big Christmas hug to you all, from Cristina

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 25 December 2011 at 10:57pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4561 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 2 of 22
24 December 2011 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
Tusen takk.

My Christmas is not very international, I'm gonna send some virtual greetings to my friends, mostly in Portuguese, Spanish and English.

Feliz Natal.

Edited by Camundonguinho on 24 December 2011 at 3:17pm

1 person has voted this message useful

WentworthsGal
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4700 days ago

191 posts - 246 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Spanish

Message 3 of 22
24 December 2011 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Unfortunately my christmas is pretty much just English. I think the only remotely foreign part to this festive time for my household is the Irish Cream Liquer (cheaper version of Bailey's) and that probably wasn't even made in Ireland! Altho I am planning a trip to Ikea after Christmas to buy a skinny bookcase to house all my foreign books :oD I can't wait!! Sadly it's not Ikea in Sweden... Now THAT would be a christmas present and a half!!! :o)

At least I have this wonderful forum to keep dipping my toes into the wonderful world of language and culture :o)

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4769 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 
Studies: German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Irish

Message 4 of 22
24 December 2011 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
Well my family is kind of interested in learning Irish Gaelic so whenever we get together
we always pretend like we can actually speak it. Besides that, pretty much English and
Spanish.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6721 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 22
24 December 2011 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
I can't recall having sent a physical christmas card in another language than Swedish, but over the years I have sent emails in English and maybe German.

This year: a handful of emails and a dozen text messages. In Swedish. Two emails in Latin (just for fun).

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 25 December 2011 at 11:53am

WentworthsGal
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4700 days ago

191 posts - 246 votes 
Studies: Swedish, Spanish

Message 6 of 22
24 December 2011 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
Lol I love that you sent Latin emails!! Talk about mixing the old with the new :o) brilliant! :o)

Edited by WentworthsGal on 24 December 2011 at 6:27pm

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5917 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Studies: Polish

Message 7 of 22
24 December 2011 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
I'll be enjoying:

Advocaat (Dutch)
Wine     (French)
Disarono Amaretto (Italian)
Bailey's Irish Cream
A box of Turkish Delights

All washed down with a mellow Scotch.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5505 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 8 of 22
25 December 2011 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
Let's see... normally my Christmases aren't very international (it's a time to be at home with the family for me), but this year I sent Christmas greetings in English, French, and German. Two of my favorite Christmas stories are set in Spain ("The Visit of the Three Kings" by Ruth Sawyer) and Russia ("Babushka" by Katharine Gibson) – I highly recommend them, by the way.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version