Diglot
United States
Joined 5052 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 49 of 107
01 March 2012 at 1:41am | IP Logged 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRYje6_rKrE

Here is my video. I'll be finishing with the final review lesson in volume 1 tomorrow!
Honestly with my limited vocab I couldn't say much haha, but I'm curious to see how
much more I will be able to expand on my thoughts on language learning after the next 50
days passes by.

I'd appreciate some constructive criticism!

Edited by BobbyE on 01 March 2012 at 1:51am

1 person has voted this message useful

eggcluck
China
Joined 4506 days ago

168 posts - 278 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 50 of 107
01 March 2012 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
Congratulations especially on being able to avoid what I have seen most Chinese learners here do. When they try to speak they either move ther fingers for the tones or do it with their head, sometimes I feel like they are practicing to be a conductor!

You also seem to be trying to say words rather than just spit out the individual tones, I feel this is a good thing. I have seen the results of those who try to learn to speak via just spitting out single tones, they come out as very robotic and are usually less understood than those who say words but with bad tones.

While I am early into studies myself so I can not say too much, I hope the above that I have observed from other learners here who have several years behind them was helpfull. One of those guys I am thinking of has been here ten years and studided conventionally. It is hard for him to be understaood, both his pronunciation and tones are off. Whether that is a plus for assimil type courses of a sign of terrible language schools/teachers is your call :P

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5052 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 51 of 107
01 March 2012 at 8:39am | IP Logged 
Thanks eggcluck. I think when you try to speak based on how you've heard native speakers
speak, you avoid the problems of isolated tone and using your body to remember the tones.
Instead, correct intonation becomes more of a side-effect of correct practice. Usually
when there is a conflict between how I remember the word sounding and how I remember the
tones in the pinyin, the sound I remember comes out being the right one. Thanks again
for the encouragement.

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6034 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 52 of 107
02 March 2012 at 5:08am | IP Logged 
NIce job! Keep it up!

The Table15VT comment on you tube was me!
You have inspired me- I need to put up a Mandarin video!

Edited by liddytime on 02 March 2012 at 5:09am

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5052 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 53 of 107
02 March 2012 at 8:45am | IP Logged 
liddytime, cool man thanks again for your kind words. I look forward to seeing your
Mandarin video! Is Mandarin an active language for you?

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6034 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 54 of 107
03 March 2012 at 5:13am | IP Logged 
BobbyE wrote:
liddytime, cool man thanks again for your kind words. I look forward to seeing your
Mandarin video! Is Mandarin an active language for you?

Heh heh!
Yeah, you inspired me..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAVocXZTnt4

This is my attempt at Mandarin after 2 months.

Hopefully these videos will get better in the future!!

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4505 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 

Message 55 of 107
03 March 2012 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
Sorry for the delay in replying, I am currently using Pimsluer but am thinking of getting Assimil even more so now after watching your video.

Very well indeed and thank you for uploading it for us to see and get some encouragement.

Nice work.

smarg
United States
Joined 4605 days ago

10 posts - 12 votes
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 56 of 107
03 March 2012 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
As a fellow newbie Mandarin learner, I am really happy that I was able to understand everything except for "mo wan le"? I haven't come across that phrase yet. Not sure if I can speak like you yet, but hopefully getting there. Am extremely encouraged to see your progress. Thanks for uploading.

This discussion contains 107 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version