Diglot
United States
Joined 5052 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 97 of 107
27 December 2014 at 7:11am | IP Logged 
Thanks Expugnator and Geoff!

A few days ago I spoke with a Chinese person for the first time in probably four months. Over this period I've just listened and read rather casually, maybe an hour a day.

The conversation was great. I didn't even feel rusty or anything, especially after the first few minutes. I found myself using words I haven't used since I was in China (10 months ago). The only time I really felt like I was struggling was when I forgot how to say "divination", and instead had to make a work around using the word "predict", for which I remembered two or three words so I just used them all in case the first were in the wrong context. Anyway, I'm happy with my "minimal output"-based method and improvements so far.
1 person has voted this message useful

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5052 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 98 of 107
26 January 2015 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
Finally got around to making a little update video. I still think the solo video is less
demonstrative than a video of real conversation. I'll have to get the software to record
a skype conversation.

One note too, I've only spoken a few times in the last couple months. I'm probably
averaging once a month over the 6 months. The fluency of my speech would be better, I
think, if I spoke more. That said, I don't feel like I've forgotten anything at all.
I'm still reading/listening everyday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUMaqr557K0

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4505 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 99 of 107
27 January 2015 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
Great video mate. If you could start all over again, what material and methods would you use? Is there
anything you wish you did different and is there anything you wouldn't do or use this time?

Thanks for the videos

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5052 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 100 of 107
27 January 2015 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
Great questions Jay, and thanks for the compliment!

Here is what I wish I would have done (in order):

1. Finish Assimil.
1A) Don't follow instructions to the "T", instead just read and listen for meaning.
1B) Remember some phrases, repeat them.
2. Finish Linguaphone (80's version)
2A) Same modifications as 1A and 1B above
3. Starting using native-level content immediately.
3A) Find audio books and accompanying texts online.
3B) Use a pop-up dictionary to see the meaning of unknown words in the text.
3C) Read, listen, rinse and repeat.

There isn't a lot of talking about exactly how to go from textbooks and learning
material to high-level content. At the beginning, you don't know if what you are doing
is going to "work". If it's your first language, you have less perspective on the
long-term process. It also takes a lot of work. It took me an hour to get through a
few paragraphs at first. Because of these difficulties it took me a long time to let
go of textbooks completely and really jump headfirst into native content.

I started on native content after about a year and a half, but went back and forth
between textbooks and real content for a while after. I'd urge beginners to take this
jump sooner than I did. I would have been prepared after Assimil and Linguaphone to
make the difficult leap if I had had more faith and understanding in the process. 6
months would have been a plenty long introduction, at which point native stuff should
become primary. Even sooner than 6 months is probably better.
3 persons have voted this message useful

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4505 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 

Message 101 of 107
29 January 2015 at 8:25am | IP Logged 
Thank you Bobby for your reply. I've been on off with my learning and know some basics but want to knuckle
down and get further into it. It was hard for awhile with other commitments but now I've got time again to
spare I feel I can pick it back up.

I have assimil and some other things, but what native material and audio books can you recommend? Is it
easy to find the text and audio online for the books that are correct? Is there certain sites to use?

Thanks again Bobby

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4971 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 102 of 107
29 January 2015 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
Hi JayR9, I recommend you to try the teaching TV series with doubtle subtitles from CCTV:

Learn Chinese

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5052 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 103 of 107
29 January 2015 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
JayR9 wrote:

I have assimil and some other things, but what native material and audio books can you
recommend? Is it
easy to find the text and audio online for the books that are correct? Is there certain
sites to use?

Thanks again Bobby

I'm not sure what you're level is so I'm going to assume navigating Chinese websites
requires some guess work...

My favorite audio book websites are pingshu8, xtsw, and tingbook. Go to baidu.com and
search there for these sites.

I would browse their selection. Once I found a title I thought looked interesting, I
copy and pasted the name into baidu along with “在线阅读” or "txt". TXT doesn't
necessarily mean it will be in .txt format, it's just a common search term Chinese use
for online books.

If the first page of results doesn't lead me to an online table of contents with links
to each full chapter, I pick another title until I do find that.

Honestly, it's been rare to find audio and text that didn't match up once I actually
find the text.

Also, some of the above sites will list the most popular audio books. These texts are
almost always easier to find.

Also, there are phone apps, such as 懒人听书, 酷我听书,爱听 that contain audio books,
stories, comedy skits, radio shows (I think). Sometimes I can find text online for the
audio there too.

凤凰卫视 is a Mandarin language only Hong Kong-based TV station, their website provides
transcripts for the most recent episodes of a number of their shows, and most of their
shows are also on youtube. My favorite show is 《锵锵三人行》 and it is phenomenal for
learning authentic conversational Mandarin. The show consists of three people simply
carrying a conversation about social/political issues in China and throughout the
world. They're funny and smart people, so I'm a pretty big fan. Go to their website
(link below), look in the playlist and the most recent two episodes always have a link
called "详细", click on that to go to the transcript. I'll copy and paste the date or
title of the episode from the transcript into youtube and use a youtube to mp3 app to
download it straight to mp3 on my phone for listening. There are online apps for PC
too. I just use MandarinSpot or Pleco's Clipboard reader to read through the
transcript. The show airs daily so you'll never run out of material. The host is
always the same, he has a northern accent, uses 儿话音 but speaks very "standard". The
other two hosts are usually from Taiwan or Hong Kong, or elsewhere in China, so you get
to hear and accustom yourself to very different accents. This is the best resource
I've found! They're really intelligent people and they talk about such a variety of
subjects it never gets old for me.

Here's the link.
http://phtv.ifeng.com/program/qqsrx/

Finding resources can be a huge time-sink. Let me know if you find yourself wasting to
much time and you'd like some links to more stuff. I also recommend listening to
Xiangsheng... there are transcripts everywhere for xiangsheng skits. They are
hilarious IMO.

If you'd like direct links to audio and matching text I've used, I can post them up
too.
3 persons have voted this message useful

JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4505 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 

Message 104 of 107
30 January 2015 at 7:54am | IP Logged 
Oh wow, thank you very much for all this. I will check this out and see if I can do it once I get home. Thank
you for taking the time to write all this. I really appreciate all the help. I will see how I go with this and let you
know if I need any help or any other links. I am looking forward to trying these.

Thank you again and thank you too Expugnator, I will also check that out.

This discussion contains 107 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version