Germany
Joined 6346 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 33 of 38
02 March 2012 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
It is as if the person started this thread was recommending we all speak Polish...

On the other hand, to talk about "biodiversity" with respect to languages is an abuse of the word (unless we are talking about chimp and whale languages). It is sufficient to talk about diversity of languages; if all the languages of the world disappeared to be replaced by one single language this would have no impact on biodiversity.

3 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6066 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 34 of 38
19 March 2012 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
I would guess a lot of dialects are endangered and many have died out. Modern mass education and the mass media both tend to undermine dialects, since they tend to encourage standard or official languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 35 of 38
19 March 2012 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
zenmonkey wrote:
It is as if the person started this thread was recommending we all speak Polish...

On the other hand, to talk about "biodiversity" with respect to languages is an abuse of the word (unless we are talking about chimp and whale languages). It is sufficient to talk about diversity of languages; if all the languages of the world disappeared to be replaced by one single language this would have no impact on biodiversity.

+1

The idea of "biodiversity" of languages is rather um, incongruent to me too. Should we then open ourselves to considering entities languages as Esperanto or Interlingua as "engineered" entities similar to Dolly the Sheep or more maliciously "Frankenfood"? How about programming or musical "languages". How do they fit in the linguistic "biosphere"? :-P

In a wider sense I question the equation of language (including its technical components) with living things (specifically humans) which is no doubt fed by humans' observation that users of languages are often fellow humans. It manifests itself into thinking that languages as living things that can be "disfigured" or "infected" by "pathogens" in the form of loanwords or foreign expressions (I guess that even the terms "language birth" and "language death" play on this biological association).

I find that language purists tend to extend this metaphor of languages being like people for it seems to cloud the analysis with emotion and permits one to make judgements that would be inapplicable otherwise. I remember the nationalist Croatian linguist, Stjepan Babić earnestly stating in the 1990s when Croatian purism was moving into overdrive (since then it's died down): "The loss of a single Croatian word is the same as the loss of a Croatian soldier. By the same token, the rescue of a single Croatian word is equal to the rescue of a Croatian soldier.". This is really taking the metaphor quite far. Not only does he feel that his native language is human, but actually it's a coherent military unit with Babić the linguist tacitly being some kind of general or marshal. It sounds fancifully macho not to mention striking for an otherwise trained linguist to flash emotion so strongly.

Edited by Chung on 19 March 2012 at 9:17pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6066 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 36 of 38
21 March 2012 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
In a wider sense I question the equation of language (including its technical components) with living things (specifically humans) which is no doubt fed by humans' observation that users of languages are often fellow humans. It manifests itself into thinking that languages as living things that can be "disfigured" or "infected" by "pathogens" in the form of loanwords or foreign expressions (I guess that even the terms "language birth" and "language death" play on this biological association).

I find that language purists tend to extend this metaphor of languages being like people for it seems to cloud the analysis with emotion and permits one to make judgements that would be inapplicable otherwise. I remember the nationalist Croatian linguist, Stjepan Babić earnestly stating in the 1990s when Croatian purism was moving into overdrive (since then it's died down): "The loss of a single Croatian word is the same as the loss of a Croatian soldier. By the same token, the rescue of a single Croatian word is equal to the rescue of a Croatian soldier.". This is really taking the metaphor quite far. Not only does he feel that his native language is human, but actually it's a coherent military unit with Babić the linguist tacitly being some kind of general or marshal. It sounds fancifully macho not to mention striking for an otherwise trained linguist to flash emotion so strongly.

It is surprising how often emotion, frequently stimulated by nationalism, has unbalanced people whose judgements you would think would be scientific and rational. But since language defence and propagation are often motivated by nationalism of one kind or another, perhaps this should not be so astonishing.   

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6754 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 37 of 38
22 March 2012 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
Now I am in holiday in Sicily.
Here almost everybody is bilingual Sicilian/Italian
And is very nice ! and there are also some differences between different "dialects" and accents of Sicilian! Maybe biodiversity is not the right word .
Let it call it glosso-diversity ! Glosso-diversity make the world richer!

"A language is a dialect with an army and navy" is a humorous quip about the arbitrariness of the distinction between a dialect and a language
(from Wikipedia)

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4653 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 38 of 38
05 May 2012 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
zenmonkey wrote:

Yeah, and that's why I learn all of these languages, you've seen through me ;)

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version