Triglot
michaelwallaceauthor
Joined 6979 days ago

275 posts - 300 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 185
18 May 2006 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
Everyone has an embarassing moment where they said something silly in their target language. One of my favorite is when a guy in my Spanish school in Honduras said something dumb and followed it up by saying, "Estoy muy embarazado," trying to say, "I am very embarassed," but really saying, "I am very pregnant."

Here are a couple of mine.

What are yours?
7 persons have voted this message useful

morprussell
Diglot
United States
Joined 6951 days ago

272 posts - 285 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 2 of 185
21 May 2006 at 2:10am | IP Logged 
Last week while I was talking to a friend in Peru, I tried to say semicolon in Spanish, "punto y coma". Unfortunately I didn't quite say it right, instead of "punto y coma" I said "puta cama" (whore bed). We both had a good laugh, and I will probably always laugh whenever I hear "punto y coma" in the future.   
1 person has voted this message useful

winters
Trilingual Heptaglot
Italy
Joined 6832 days ago

199 posts - 218 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, Serbian*, Russian*, English, Italian, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: Greek, French, Hungarian

Message 3 of 185
21 May 2006 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
When I was younger, I said something in Russian which made everyone around me laugh. I wanted to say "He asked me...", which would be correct: "On menja sprosil..." However, my mind went just blank and I could not think of such an easy verb, so I used the Croatian verb for ask, which is "pitati", and russified it by saying: "On menja pytal...".
Unfortunately, that sentence in Russian means: "He tortured me." When everyone burst into laughter, I figured out what I said ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6556 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 4 of 185
21 May 2006 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
Not too long ago, I accidentally told a new acquaintance in Japanese that I
disliked eating both taco (octopus) and eki (train stations). I meant
to say squid (ika) instead of eki. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sierra
Diglot
Turkey
livinginlights.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6912 days ago

296 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: English*, SwedishB1
Studies: Turkish

Message 5 of 185
24 May 2006 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
I was explaining to my Swedish "sister" during her visit to the States why the dog had to stay inside.

I searched for "The dog barks too much" in the depths of my brain's rusting Swedish vocabulary pool. "Hunden skvallrar för mycket," I said finally, convinced that I had come up with the right word, but Emma looked at me like I was an utter lunatic.

It was a good ten minutes before we both realized my mistake- I was looking for "Hunden skäller", and had instead told her that "the dog gossips too much". No wonder she thought I was crazy.

Edited by Sierra on 24 May 2006 at 4:30pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

JFA
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6550 days ago

44 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written)
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 6 of 185
26 May 2006 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
These are not so much blunders as they are cute stories:

I was in Florence, Italy and after having gotten settled at a small hotel I stayed at, I asked an employee, who must have not known English that well, if they had any orange juice. After thinking about it and struggling to come up with the right word she said, "Orange juice is forever." She must have meant something like "we always have orange juice." Anyway, if I ever write a book about my travels through Italy (and possibly the other European countries I have visited) I would entitle it "Orange Juice is Forever" with a possible subtitle of "And other Misadventures in Europe."

The other story was when I was sitting in a cafe in Cairo, Egypt playing chess with one of the natives. This was before I knew much Arabic. I asked him which piece he moved and he told me, in English, his elephant. At first I was confused, but realized that he meant the bishop. In Arabic (or at least Egyptian Arabic) chess terminology the bishop is called the "fiil" (elephant).     

Edited by zindiiq on 26 May 2006 at 8:45pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6803 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 185
27 May 2006 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
zindiiq wrote:
I ever write a book about my travels through Italy (and possibly the other European countries I have visited) I would entitle it "Orange Juice is Forever" with a possible subtitle of "And other Misadventures in Europe."

Sounds as if it would be something Bill Bryson himself would be proud of!

siromar
Diglot
United States
Joined 6533 days ago

104 posts - 103 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Swedish

Message 8 of 185
20 June 2006 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
JFA wrote:
These are not so much blunders as they are cute stories:

I was in Florence, Italy and after having gotten settled at a small hotel I stayed at, I asked an employee, who must have not known English that well, if they had any orange juice. After thinking about it and struggling to come up with the right word she said, "Orange juice is forever." She must have meant something like "we always have orange juice." Anyway, if I ever write a book about my travels through Italy (and possibly the other European countries I have visited) I would entitle it "Orange Juice is Forever" with a possible subtitle of "And other Misadventures in Europe."

The other story was when I was sitting in a cafe in Cairo, Egypt playing chess with one of the natives. This was before I knew much Arabic. I asked him which piece he moved and he told me, in English, his elephant. At first I was confused, but realized that he meant the bishop. In Arabic (or at least Egyptian Arabic) chess terminology the bishop is called the "fiil" (elephant).     

Hahaha, when I was a kid, we had a chess tournament at my school, in which I was a participant. My English was quite good, but as a kid, your second language vocab always suffers due to lack of experience.

So I was playing against this British boy, and I wanted to ask him about his previous move involving the bishop.
"Did you just move the.......elephant?"
"What elephant?"
"you know, the one next to the horse"

A literal translation of the Arabic names of chess pieces would be: Castle-Horse-Elephant-King-Minister. :)

This discussion contains 185 messages over 24 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version