185 messages over 24 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 ... 23 24 Next >>
psy88
United States
Joined 5380 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 113 of 185
02 September 2009 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
   This is my first posting but I have been a reader of the forum for quite awhile. My embarrassing moment came when I was trying to get a native speaker of Spanish to tutor me. I told her that it might be difficult because - I wanted to say I was a little deaf-sordo-but instead said I was a little cerdo-a pig. The tutor did not react and it was only later that I realized my mistake. The tutor's not reacting made me wonder if the mistake was noticed but politely overlooked, or if she agreed.
3 persons have voted this message useful

lancemanion
Triglot
United States
Joined 5361 days ago

150 posts - 166 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Thai
Studies: French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 114 of 185
13 September 2009 at 6:17am | IP Logged 
How do the French even walk with a horse on their heads?
2 persons have voted this message useful

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5756 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 115 of 185
17 October 2009 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
Since I have almost laughed myself sick reading this thread, I guess it's only fair to participate in it. Here's an incident where I really blundered--and surely not my last!

My Swiss friends had a German calendar in their home featuring a cat character named Kater Jacob. I liked it and wanted to buy one. So we looked in several stores, and no one had it. One day, as I was waiting for my friend to park the car, I wandered into a card shop, where a saleslady approached and asked if she could help me. I said: "Haben Sie Kater Jacob?" in what I thought was my best German, and the look on her face was so shocked and bewildered that I wondered what I'd done wrong.   Later, I found out the slang meaning of the word "Kater" -- the poor lady must have thought I'd asked if she had a hangover!

rggg
Heptaglot
Mexico
Joined 6114 days ago

373 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French, Italian, Portuguese, Indonesian, Malay
Studies: Romanian, Catalan, Greek, German, Swedish

Message 116 of 185
17 October 2009 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
When I was studying French, my teacher brought along one of her friends to my class, I started talking to her and we were having a nice time .... and then I felt we were ready to move to the next level =), so I asked her: "Est-ce que je peux vous tutoyer?"

She opened her eyes and mouth wide open and replied to me: "Non, tu ne peux pas me tuer" .... suddenly I realized that I had used the word "tuer" (to kill) instead of "tutoyer" (addressing someone with "tu" instead of "vous").......Oh my God, I was so embarrassed, but then she looked at me and started to burst out laughing ... so no harm done =).

Envinyatar
Diglot
Guatemala
Joined 5325 days ago

147 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 117 of 185
18 October 2009 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
siromar wrote:
Hahaha, when I was a kid, we had a chess tournament at my school, in which I was a participant. My English was quite good, but as a kid, your second language vocab always suffers due to lack of experience.

So I was playing against this British boy, and I wanted to ask him about his previous move involving the bishop.
"Did you just move the.......elephant?"
"What elephant?"
"you know, the one next to the horse"

A literal translation of the Arabic names of chess pieces would be: Castle-Horse-Elephant-King-Minister. :)

Did you know that the Spanish word for the chess bishop is Alfil? Directly from Arabic.

I've been having a good laugh reading this thread, awesome stories! Unfortunately i don't have any funny personal anecdotes but I'll share one my father told me about an American missionary here in my country. When he finished his preaching he politely asked "Por favor cierren sus ojos que vamos a orinar" (Please close your eyes, we're going to piss), he tried to say orar (to pray) instead of orinar (to piss). My dad told me he also made references to the "libro de los ebrios" (book of the drunken) trying to say "libro de los hebreos" (Book of Hebrews).

psy88
United States
Joined 5380 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 118 of 185
19 October 2009 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
A similar story- an American bishop was called upon to ordain the new priests in a certain Latin American country. The bishop believed himself to be quite fluent in Spanish. You can imagine the congregation's reaction, and the expressions on the about to be ordained men's faces, when he loudly proclaimed he was going to "ordeƱar"( to milk) the new priests rather than "ordenar" (to ordain). Yes, the little squiggle over the "n" has an important purpose, it is there for a reason.

janababe
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5303 days ago

102 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German

Message 119 of 185
21 October 2009 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
psy88 wrote:
    This is my first posting but I have been a reader of the forum for quite awhile. My embarrassing moment came when I was trying to get a native speaker of Spanish to tutor me. I told her that it might be difficult because - I wanted to say I was a little deaf-sordo-but instead said I was a little cerdo-a pig. The tutor did not react and it was only later that I realized my mistake. The tutor's not reacting made me wonder if the mistake was noticed but politely overlooked, or if she agreed.

She might not have noticed ur mistake there psy88. The 2 words are similar and in a foreign language u will have an accent anyways. Good for u learning a language when ur a little deaf, it's hard enough when ur not. Cool ;)

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6454 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 120 of 185
30 October 2009 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
Envinyatar wrote:
Did you know that the Spanish word for the chess bishop is Alfil? Directly from Arabic.

As a sidenote: 'Ivory' is 'marfil' in Spanish, equally from Arabic.

This discussion contains 185 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version