United States
Joined 6104 days ago

276 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Norwegian, Spanish

Message 57 of 185
20 March 2008 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
In my German I class, a boy was trying to say "I want to meet your sister" ("ich moechte deine Schwester treffen"). But he forgot the word for "meet" and decided to Germanize the English one, so it came out 'ich will deine Schwester mieten'. After giving him a strange look, the teacher informed him that he had just said "I want to rent your sister".

Not a gaffe, but once, as I was being given a ticket by an Austrian highway patrolman, he'd thought I was Swiss, from my accent in German (and the rental car had a Swiss tag). When I confessed that the car was a rental car (I was playing dumb, hoping I could dodge paying it), he stepped back, looked at it and said "So, es ist ein Mietwagen?" I had to laugh, which he didn't much like, because, being a native English-speaker, the term "Meat wagon" popped into my head...

Edited by Earle on 20 March 2008 at 4:56pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5898 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 58 of 185
21 March 2008 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
When my mother was young, she was working in a hotel reception. One day she showed to an elderly German couple their room, wishing them a pleasant stay in German, something along the line "have a good living here!" (sorry I don't know German and I forgot her exact wording).

Unfortunately, she messed up and used lieben instead of leben.

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6454 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 59 of 185
21 March 2008 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
Leopejo wrote:
wishing them a pleasant stay in German, something along the line "have a good living here!" (sorry I don't know German and I forgot her exact wording).

'Lieben Sie wohl!' instead 'Leben Sie wohl!'
(But that would be for saying goodbye...)

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5898 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 60 of 185
21 March 2008 at 5:48am | IP Logged 
Marc Frisch wrote:
'Lieben Sie wohl!' instead 'Leben Sie wohl!'
(But that would be for saying goodbye...)

It must have been that. Maybe she said it when leaving the couple in their room, would it be possible? Anyway her German was quite bad then. Otherwise she wouldn't have confused leben and lieben...

Halcyon
Diglot
United States
Joined 6244 days ago

35 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese

Message 61 of 185
21 March 2008 at 7:56am | IP Logged 
When we were learning foods like dumplings, soup, rice, baozi, etc. in my Mandarin class, a couple people kept mixing up the pronunciations and tones... like the ones for dumplings (饺子 jiao3zi) and steamed-buns-with-stuff-inside (I don't know the English equiv. for 包子 bao1zi), so instead of:

“我喜欢吃饺子。”I like to eat dumplings.
wo3 xi3huan chi1 jiao3zi.

They were saying:

“我喜欢吃婊子。” I like to eat whore(s).
wo3 xi3huan chi1 biao3zi.

epingchris
Triglot
Taiwan
shih-chuan.blog.ntu.
Joined 6817 days ago

273 posts - 284 votes 
5 sounds
Studies: Taiwanese, Mandarin*, English, FrenchB2
Studies: Japanese, German, Turkish

Message 62 of 185
28 March 2008 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
A joke in Mandarin is that a foreign not quite familiar with is invited to a Chinese's house. As the host was introducing his house (fang zi), table (zhuo zi), chairs (yi zi), the guest noticed that each of these nouns contained a "zi", so he figured that it must be a common suffix for nouns. When the host's wife came out with a watch (biao), the foreigner exclaimed: "Oh! What a beatiful biao zi!"

As said above, "biao zi" means whores.

Overgeneralizations can be bad.

Edited by epingchris on 28 March 2008 at 8:36am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ems_8674
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5866 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Latin, Italian
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 63 of 185
05 April 2008 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
My friend told me about how once on a French exchange her host had been feeling ill so she tried to ask "tu te sens mal?" (Do you feel unwell?), but came out instead with "tu sens mauvais?" (Do you smell bad?).

Ems_8674
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5866 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Latin, Italian
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 64 of 185
05 April 2008 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
Oh, and also not me but a friend of a friend on holiday in Spain had to change some money and insisted despite not really speaking Spanish that she knew the word for change and marched right up to the counter demanding "gambas"...which would have been great except that the word she wanted was "cambio" and what she was actually asking the guy for was prawns!

This discussion contains 185 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version