Triglot
Groupie
Finland
Joined 4759 days ago

94 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Polish

Message 33 of 88
28 April 2011 at 12:54pm | IP Logged 
There are example certification exams out there, identical to real ones. The listening & reading comprehension as well as grammar parts, that require choosing an answer or writing a single word, are easy to self-assess with the provided answer key. The assessment of the writing and conversation parts is obviously not so precise, but you should be able to objectively decide whether you'd pass such a certification exam or not.
1 person has voted this message useful

JamieJoseph
United Kingdom
Joined 4754 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 34 of 88
28 April 2011 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
I just think that in a generalistic sense it sounds a whole lot better than "i'm learning". As there is some word association with learning, as though you haven't got a grasp of something. So people declare themselves fluent before they truly are.

Edited by JamieJoseph on 28 April 2011 at 1:45pm

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5225 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 35 of 88
28 April 2011 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
Naomi Chambers wrote:
I know a woman, whom after studying Spanish for a few semesters at a community college is telling people that she speaks Spanish fluently.

It is clear to me that she is lying.

Why do people feel the need to lie about fluency?

Just to show how this question of the definition of fluency perverts our judgment, I'd like to return to the opening statement of this thread. Can a person speak Spanish fluently after a few semesters? Why not? Ah, it all depends on how one defines fluently. I certainly think one can speak fluently after, let's say three semesters (Is that about a year?), according to my understanding of fluently. Here I get the impression that the OP is using fluently to mean "like a native".

Is it clear that the person is lying? I don't think so because fluently can mean so many different things.

Why do people feel the need to lie about fluency?, the OP asks. First of all, we really don't know what fluency means here. Are we to assume that it means "like a native" or "can get by"? Secondly, I don't people are lying. I think they are just overestimating their ability.

Actually, this debate is essentially the same when we talk about people saying they speak a language X. Most people here speak multiple languages. Are we to assume that they speak all these languages equally well? Of course not. Are people lying about their linguistic skills here at HTLAL? I really don't think so. In fact, I think people are usually quite modest because they are in company of serious language enthusiasts. To say that you speak 10 languages is perfectly all right if you are willing to qualify how well or badly you speak them.

Edited by s_allard on 28 April 2011 at 1:58pm

Naomi Chambers
United States
thepolyglotexperienc
Joined 4866 days ago

23 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: Spanish
Studies: FrenchC1, Swedish

Message 37 of 88
28 April 2011 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
etracher wrote:
Splog wrote:
Naomi Chambers wrote:
I know a woman, whom after
studying Spanish for a few semesters
at a community college is telling people that she speaks Spanish fluently.

She isn't lying. It is due to the
Dunning-Kruger
effect
, Beginners tend to believe they have superior abilities than they actually
have, and people with advanced skills tend to be overly critical of their own
abilities.

I was going to mention the Dunning-Kruger effect, too. It also made me think of
anosognosia (just because my wife
works in neurorehabilitation). Plus I also think that Ari is right that people have
different opinions about what 'fluency' means.

As human beings we often tend to delude ourselves about many things. In addition, many
people tend to exaggerate or even to lie for whatever reason. If I know that they are
exaggerating, I take that into account and that's that. Personally, I would not really
be interested in making this person understand that she is not fluent. What would that
accomplish? I would just let it go and keep studying my own languages.

I am very surprised at the number of replies this post has gotten already!

I was looking for some different opinions from people that did not go too much into,
¨What does it mean to be fluent.¨ If people can make their own definition of the word
fluent, then fluent will not have any universal meaning anymore. Imagine what life is
like when we change the definition of any word in the dictionary just to suit our own
agenda. What value will a dictionary even have anymore? Not much.

That being said, without divulging too much information about the woman in question, I
can tell you that she did not even earn an A in Beginning Spanish. She has only taken a
few semesters total.

She is not close to fluency. With her abilities, I would say she is at least 2 years
away from fluency. ( Without living abroad )

Naomi Chambers
United States
thepolyglotexperienc
Joined 4866 days ago

23 posts - 30 votes

Message 38 of 88
28 April 2011 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Kuikentje wrote:
Splog wrote:
Naomi Chambers wrote:
I know a woman, whom after
studying Spanish for a few semesters
at a community college is telling people that she speaks Spanish fluently.

She isn't lying. It is due to the
Dunning-Kruger
effect
, Beginners tend to believe they have superior abilities than they actually
have, and people with advanced skills tend to be overly critical of their own
abilities.

wow, the Dunning-Kruger effect is absolutely true!!!!

I know some people who are not intelliegent at all, or talented but they find
themselves great and the best, and I know some people who are very intelligent, know
very much, talented etc but they think that they are not so good and are extremely
modest. personally, I like the modest people who are intelligent and kind and I hate
the ones who are arrogant.

i've noticed as well, that the people who haven't good skills, are critical of the ones
who have advanced skills because they don't understand the people's modesty and think
that the modesty = stupidity

The woman who lied about being fluent in Spanish also boasts about how intelligent she
is.

I wish this was a joke, but it isnt

Naomi Chambers
United States
thepolyglotexperienc
Joined 4866 days ago

23 posts - 30 votes

Message 39 of 88
28 April 2011 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
Keilan wrote:
Basically what Ari said. It depends what your standard is. Some people
would say I'm fluent in German (although very few) in that I could probably survive in
Germany, but it would involve lots of yelling and repeating things to be understood.

On the other hand, some people (such as myself) would define fluency as being able to
speak freely without needing to deliberately form the sentence in my head (right now, I
have to think "Okay, I'm using "weil" so the verb goes the end of the sentence").

It just depends who you ask.

If everyone gets to make up their own definition of the word fluent, then what meaning
can the word have anymore? Not much.

Imagine changing any word in the dictionary, or altering their meanings just to suit
our own personal agenda. What is a dictionary worth after a while? Not much.

There has to be some standards.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4804 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 40 of 88
28 April 2011 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
That is worse. But for her only. Around her are most probably much more people able to easily find out whether she is inteligent than those able to judge her language skills. :-)

edit:Was a reaction to post above the one above me. I typed slowly this time.

And just out of curiosity, I opened my Macmillan's English dictionary for advanced learners and found this:

fluent:
1.able to speak a foreign language very well
1a. spoken well and without difficulty
2. expressing yourself in a clear and confident way, without seeming to make an effort

The rest of definitions (points 3 and 4) didn't apply to languages.

Edited by Cavesa on 28 April 2011 at 4:33pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 88 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version