Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
88 messages over 11 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 10 11 Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6498 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 88
27 April 2011 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
In an earlier discussion it was suggested that "fluent" should b restricted to those cases where you can speak without stop (maybe even without thinking), and instead the word "proficient" should be used for the situation whre you know a lot of words and a lot of grammar and you can form correct sentences - but maybe not speak fluently in the literal sense. This would partly solve the problem - the only problem is that it is too late, the word "fluent" is already used in both cases.

The result is that we have some persons that can't accept that anybody is fluent unless that person both speaks like a waterfall AND in absolutely impeccable phrases with a pronunciation at the level of a native speaker. And at the other end of the scale we have those beginners who see themselves as fluent if they can order a beer in Swahili (the Dunning-Kruger syndrome).

A formal test might settle matters, provided that the test itself was administered in a fair and balanced way. But formal tests are for those who might need a score for their career, or who like the safety of an independent test.

My own definitions for active fluency - which follow the system of this forum, but otherwise are totally unfounded and unauthorized - are as follows:

I'm a mere beginner until I have reached the level where I can construct simple phrases in my head. Then I'm intermediate until the moment where I can survive discussions with natives sufficiently well to do a monolingual journey - that level is called basic fluency. And I gradually become advanced when I have weeded out the most glaring errors AND can perform without using dictionaries and grammars to check the things I already have said or written. The other side of the medal is passive fluency where I generally is at least one step ahead.

As you can see this is a mixture of the speaking-without-pauses and the proficiency definitions, but this is not worse than disregarding up the chiasm between active and passive skills, and between skills based on writing and aural/vocal skills.

PS: I also find it irritating when people claim fluency just because they can order the aforementioned beer. But I would only feel sick about it if they got the job I wanted by falsely claiming fluency. Otherwise it is not something that really matters.

Edited by Iversen on 27 April 2011 at 10:02am

20 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5561 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 10 of 88
27 April 2011 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
Apart from what's been mentioned so far - you always sound more fluent and eloquent in your own head, unless you belong to the minority of people who seem to use non-verbal thought strateges even for things that are easier to consider with the help of an internal monologue.

My own idea of levels is relatively similar to Iversen's, though I won't claim basic fluency until conversation becomes more or less effortless and natural for my conversation partner.
1 person has voted this message useful

Nguyen
Vietnam
Joined 4888 days ago

109 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese

Message 12 of 88
27 April 2011 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
I think an answer to your question would be to look at human nature. People often boast about their income, education, sexual conquests etc.. This is a sign that these people are dealing with self doubt and insecurity.

Some people also just have a boastful nature and like to show off. As far as the fluency, proficiency debate; I don't think that was the OP's intention. As far as promoting ones language ability beyond it's boundaries. This seem's to be quite normal given the whole Polyglot You tube thing! Better to post this question in a psychiatric forum I think...

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5561 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 13 of 88
27 April 2011 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
No, you are correct, Nguyen.* The OP seemed either to want to complain about people who grossly overestimate their skills, or get visitors for their own blog. I'm not sure, I never visit links given in such a context. But that doesn't mean that we can't waste out time on the umptieth discussion about this kind of thing, does it? =)
(If the internet throws spam at you, open the tin.)

One of the things one might keep in mind that it can be helpful to slightly overestimate one's skills and just learn the rest on the go.

*and I will likely never sort out in which languages I am supposed to disagree with the topic the other person I agree with disagrees with, and in which I am supposed to agree with the other person.

Edited by Bao on 27 April 2011 at 12:39pm

Haukilahti
Triglot
Groupie
Finland
Joined 4759 days ago

94 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Polish

Message 14 of 88
27 April 2011 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
Bao, I actually visit the link and found the blog post better and differently written than the original post here.

But yes, let people claim fluency. It's such a subjective concept, as long as they don't fake language certification exams.
3 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5225 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 15 of 88
27 April 2011 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
As Iversen mentioned, the word "fluency" is grossly misused around here. But that's a battle for another day. In my opinion, the problem isn't really about people lying about the level of proficiency; it's really one of underestimating what speaking a language really means and also the impossibility to define language performance with vague words. As imperfect as they are, the scales such as the CEFR do give some idea of the level of performance. If someone says to me I'm about a B2 in French, I have a better idea than "I'm pretty fluent in French, but my vocabulary sucks."
5 persons have voted this message useful

Romanist
United Kingdom
Joined 5077 days ago

261 posts - 366 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 16 of 88
27 April 2011 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
She's fluent according to her definition ("I'm able to hold a conversation") and not according to yours.

If she is able to "hold a coversation", then she is fluent - end of argument.

Holding a conversation implies the ability to participate in and sustain a meaningful exchange of information, while not being able to control or predict exactly which direction the exchange will take. If you can do that, you must have at least basic fluency.

Having said that, it's not at all clear from the original post whether the lady in question actually IS able to "hold a conversation" in Spanish...

Edited by Romanist on 27 April 2011 at 3:41pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 88 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version