United States
thepolyglotexperienc
Joined 4853 days ago

23 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: Spanish
Studies: FrenchC1, Swedish

Message 1 of 88
27 April 2011 at 6:10am | IP Logged 
I know a woman, whom after studying Spanish for a few semesters at a community college is telling people that she speaks Spanish fluently.

It is clear to me that she is lying.

Why do people feel the need to lie about fluency?

Edited by newyorkeric on 28 April 2011 at 7:56am

1 person has voted this message useful

GREGORG4000
Diglot
United States
Joined 5305 days ago

307 posts - 479 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Amharic, French

Message 2 of 88
27 April 2011 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
Probably because they fool themselves and want external reinforcement
3 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6364 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 3 of 88
27 April 2011 at 7:25am | IP Logged 
They don't (well, most don't). There's no single definition of "fluent" that is universally used. She's fluent according to her definition ("I'm able to hold a conversation") and not according to yours. That's not very strange with a fuzzy word like "fluent". The "able to speak without stopping to think" definition makes some sense looking at the word itself, and it's probably a lot more common than you think.

The real question here should be "Why do people feel the need to put people down as soon as they use the word "fluent"? I've seen it many times, not the least in this forum, where "fluent" has become a word everyone is scared to use. I don't dare call myself "fluent in English" on this forum, despite passing with ease the criteria for "advanced fluency" on the webpage.

(Oh, no, are we going to have another definition-fight on this word? What I'm saying is that there are many definitions. I'm not trying to claim one definition is better than another.)
28 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5907 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 4 of 88
27 April 2011 at 7:44am | IP Logged 
I try to make honest appraisals of myself and my own abilities because I do know that self-deception can be a really sad thing to watch. I've seen it in others at times, and I don't want to go there.

However, I have had this idea myself -- if I just declare "I'm fluent" and manage to somehow convince myself, maybe it would just be.   Could there is something do this? I do meet, now and then, people who just seem to pull it off with a bit of knowledge and a lot of self-confidence.    Though when I do build up the courage to drop myself into situations where I'm surrounded by Japanese -- usually what happens is I fail miserably, and crawl back in my non-fluent little hole.

I have been working on this awhile, and I think maybe because I do have Japanese speakers in my family, and because of all the time and tests and reading and studying, that language learning civilians assume I'm fluent -- and I admit to on occasion just not telling everyone the full extent of how non-fluent I am. I don't know how this is judged.

With Japanese people and others who study Japanese, of course, there's no fooling anyone, and no need to really explain.   Really, saying "I'm Fluent" to a room full of Japanese guys who just set the room laughing. In these situations you just talk, you don't need to say "I'm fluent."   Native speakers can figure out everything after less than 10 words out of your mouth.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Keilan
Canada
Joined 4868 days ago

125 posts - 241 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 5 of 88
27 April 2011 at 7:45am | IP Logged 
Basically what Ari said. It depends what your standard is. Some people would say I'm fluent in German (although very few) in that I could probably survive in Germany, but it would involve lots of yelling and repeating things to be understood.

On the other hand, some people (such as myself) would define fluency as being able to speak freely without needing to deliberately form the sentence in my head (right now, I have to think "Okay, I'm using "weil" so the verb goes the end of the sentence").

It just depends who you ask.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5451 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 6 of 88
27 April 2011 at 8:08am | IP Logged 
Naomi Chambers wrote:
I know a woman, whom after studying Spanish for a few semesters
at a community college is telling people that she speaks Spanish fluently.

She isn't lying. It is due to the
Dunning-Kruger
effect
, Beginners tend to believe they have superior abilities than they actually
have, and people with advanced skills tend to be overly critical of their own abilities.
28 persons have voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7003 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 7 of 88
27 April 2011 at 8:15am | IP Logged 

I think some of it is ignorance and the idea of knowing something more than others. Unfortunately some people set themselves up for a big fall when reality sets in. Others might revise the previous mindset and realize this "The more I know, the more I don't know."
2 persons have voted this message useful

etracher
Triglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 5116 days ago

92 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Russian, Latvian

Message 8 of 88
27 April 2011 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
Naomi Chambers wrote:
I know a woman, whom after studying Spanish for a few semesters
at a community college is telling people that she speaks Spanish fluently.

She isn't lying. It is due to the
Dunning-Kruger
effect
, Beginners tend to believe they have superior abilities than they actually
have, and people with advanced skills tend to be overly critical of their own abilities.

I was going to mention the Dunning-Kruger effect, too. It also made me think of anosognosia (just because my wife works in neurorehabilitation). Plus I also think that Ari is right that people have different opinions about what 'fluency' means.

As human beings we often tend to delude ourselves about many things. In addition, many people tend to exaggerate or even to lie for whatever reason. If I know that they are exaggerating, I take that into account and that's that. Personally, I would not really be interested in making this person understand that she is not fluent. What would that accomplish? I would just let it go and keep studying my own languages.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 88 messages over 11 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version