54 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 25 of 42
21 April 2011 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
JasonE wrote:
One of my aims in learning languages is to be able to understand other
cultures better and to not be so anglo-centric. The language that I am studying now (french) will help me to
understand the french community within Canada and the other french speaking parts of the world. I'm looking
ahead to my second language, and I'm wondering what will give me the most cultural perspective for my time
invested.

(disclaimer: I don't know you personally, so this is just a general answer to give you food for thought)

Learning another language alone is NOT sufficient to significantly impact one's view of the world, and learning 10
languages does not automatically imply that you no longer view the world the same way.

If your goal is to expand your cultural horizons and understand another culture in order to see past your former
anglo-centric views, I have to ask: do you really understand Québécois and French-Canadian culture in your own
country so well that you already need to learn another culture? Can you put yourself in their shoes and cast a
critical look on your own group? Do you understand how their cultural, historical and linguistic heritage tints their
view of the world? (I could ask the same of various Aboriginal or minority groups in Canada, but you said you
were learning French.)

For instance, an election campaign is underway in Canada. I have no intention of starting a political debate in any
way, shape or form, but for the sake of the question, can you understand why a large number of Québécois reject
the Conservatives, or why the leading party there is the Bloc québécois? Do you understand what motivates so
many Québécois to wish for sovereignty? I'm sure you understand the average Canadian's disdain of Québec
separatism, but do you know how it feels from the other side of the looking glass? Are you ready to abandon
your anglo-centric views to really understand the issue?

The views and values of the group we grow up in plays a huge role in the way we see things. To be able to
perceive things, genuinely, from the other's perspective is not easy and it requires a lot more effort than
shopping around for an easy language that'll give you a bang for your buck.

As I mentioned in a previous comment, I don't expect learning a language to be enough, but it will give me the
ability to delve into a new culture and give me the opportunity to see things from their eyes.

I know very little about politics, but it is a situation that I hope to remedy in the not too distant future. I've got
the rest of 2011 to devote to french study, and after that I'll keep learning about the french community in
Canada. I'd like to get a french Canadian magazine subscription along the lines of 'Macleans', so if you've got any
recommendations I'd be glad to hear them.

There seems to be a negative reaction towards picking an "easy" language, and my wanting to break away from
the "anlgo-centric" cultural viewpoint. This is probably due to poor word choice on my part, because I really can't
imagine what would be so bad about my idea as it is in my head. On reflection, I think even a language such as
American Sign Language could be a candidate, despite it being American in origin, due to the deaf culture that
I've caught glimpses of and have been fascinated by.

I want to be able to see things in a different light, and this isn't an easy thing to do, as others have mentioned.
Because learning about a culture "from the inside" isn't an easy thing to do, I'd like to not be struggling with the
native language for years to come. If Persian and Arabic both have cultures that are fairly different from what I'm
used to, but Arabic is arguably more difficult, then I'm probably going to choose persian. Again, this won't be my
only criteria for choosing my next language, it is just the factor that I would like to discuss right now.

jimbo wrote:
That seems like a good reason to learn it.

I've just moved back to Canada and noticed that the Spadina Road branch of Toronto Public Library has some
study materials for first nation languages. Not sure if they have Cree. I hope someone is out there making
recordings and trying to build up some reference material for languages facing extinction.

I've got little to no problem with language death. It's a huge task to save a language from the brink, and I'm not
interested in fighting that battle. I do know however that video and audio recording are being taken of the elders
who still speak Cree natively, and it is nice to know that we will have those recording for posterity.

More thoughts and comments are welcomed and appreciated!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5190 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 28 of 42
21 April 2011 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
JasonE wrote:
I've got little to no problem with language death. It's a huge task to save a language from the brink, and I'm not interested in fighting that battle.

Somewhat of a surprising comment for someone who just claimed to want to learn languages to understand other cultures and who is part Cree to boot.

Edited by Arekkusu on 21 April 2011 at 10:30pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6248 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 29 of 42
21 April 2011 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
Judane1 wrote:

Even learning the languages at a 'survival' level where you can simply function in basic situations, then going to a country that speaks that language will give you a very good introduction into the customs and culture of that nation.

Reading a decent book or two for tourists would give a better introduction, with perhaps 1% of the effort. The amount of culture and customs that you can learn via 'survival' language is significantly less than that which you can pick up via a few hours of reading or watching serious video about a culture.

Judane1 wrote:

I would hold off on Esperanto for now.
A previous poster mentioned there were 2 million speakers worldwide.
There are 192 nations in the UN. If speakers were equally spread between those nations it would mean less than 10,500 speakers per country. Roughly the population of a small town.

I think it would be a brave folly to plan a visit to China, Russian, India, etc. with the idea of getting around simply in Esperanto.

Unless you plan out, coordinate, and schedule, you will likely never meet an Esperanto speaker in those countries. And you must hope that they will be in the specific city you are in, can assist you based on their own schedules and commitments, etc. etc. etc.

Interesting language. One that I could see be worth studying.
But the current limitations of usage would, in my opinion, hinder the goals that you have mentioned.

I wouldn't go to China with the idea of randomly getting along in Russian, either. Randomly mixing with native speakers is one way to learn and get by, but it's certainly not the only option.

If you want to get around in a place in a language that's not widely spoken there, yes, you need to plan in advance.

The edge of Esperanto in this is that Esperanto speakers tend to be incredibly helpful towards each other. I can't count the number of nights I've slept in rooms owned by Esperanto speakers, or the number of meals I've shared with them. And at Esperanto events, I can live purely in Esperanto for a week, and if I wanted to spend all day hearing about other cultures from people who live in them, I could. And foreign Esperanto speakers visiting an area are often keen to get to know and talk to Esperanto speakers living there.

Esperanto speakers often show each other around during visits, while sharing bits of local culture with each other, or at least recommend interesting local things to do/see. You can't assume that this will happen with a specific person without asking, but it's fairly common. You can get similar experiences with other languages, especially by making friends from the area(s) you're interested in, but the 'barrier to entry' with Esperanto is lower, in my experience.

Between interacting with survival level language in an area, or touring it with a friend who speaks the local language fluently/natively but with whom you need to speak in another language, I find the latter to be a significantly richer experience. I've done both, in quite a few countries.

Actual immersion for extended periods of time is also possible, though it doesn't sound like what the original poster is seeking. I know people who have had Esperanto be their primary language for months or years, too, and others who have it as their household language.

Esperanto also has a rich tradition of original and translated literature. I've found Esperanto translations to usually be better than English ones - partly because they're often done by native speakers of the source language.

In most places, it would indeed be sheer folly to try to get by with only Esperanto with no advance planning. I freely admit that if your main interest is interacting with survival level language as a tourist in one specific place, it makes more sense to learn the main language of that place. Similarly, if you're deeply fascinated by, say, Russian literature, there is no alternative to learning Russian.

However, for the specific goal of broadening your cultural worldview while wasting as little time as possible on prerequisites, I honestly think Esperanto is the single most useful option.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6965 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 30 of 42
21 April 2011 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:

However, for the specific goal of broadening your cultural worldview while wasting as little time as possible on prerequisites, I honestly think Esperanto is the single most useful option.

Actually if the goal were for someone to simply expand one's cultural vistas, don't overlook travelling using Couchsurfing or Hospitality Club (Pasporta Servo would be OK however it's designed for Esperantists, and so the pool of people who could help you or available to meet is tiny compared to what's there on Couchsurfing or Hospitality Club. Anyway some people who are on Pasporta Servo are on Couchsurfing or Hospitality Club too). I can't tell you how much more cultural knowledge I got via Couchsurfing or Hospitality Club through visits or just discussions/debates with other members of these groups done all in whichever language we had in common, be it in my case in French, German, Hungarian, Polish, Slovak, not to mention English (at least half of the time). I say all of this even though I'm a language geek and get a kick out of doing things in the local language.

With this in mind, it's not quite as useful as it seems to learn foreign languages to broaden cultural perspectives even though it doesn't necessarily hurt since the odds of your finding multilingual people these days are actually fairly high. A sympathetic guide or local friend with whom you can contact, meet and communicate meaningfully in ANY language while travelling/exploring culture is priceless and trumps a simple accumulation of foreign languages. There's also an implied opportunity cost since you could have used the time to travel or widen cultural vistas now rather than learn the foreign language in isolation with the expectation/hope of using that accumulated knowledge for travelling or widening your those vistas.

Edited by Chung on 21 April 2011 at 10:42pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6279 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 31 of 42
21 April 2011 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
Anyway some people who are on Pasporta Servo are almost certainly on
Couchsurfing or Hospitality Club too).

Actually there is very little overlap, partly because many Pasporta Servo hosts don't
speak English (i.e. they are not indoctrinated, in developing countries like China
where good English almost certainly means an elite school), and partly because they
come from different traditions.

To illustrate: the newly-launched online version of Pasporta Servo currently has 2000
members; Couchsurfing's Pasporta Servo group has only 68 members. All in all there are
1000 Esperanto speakers on Couchsurfing, most of whom only speak it at a beginner
level, while Pasporta Servo hosts tend to be better-than-average Esperanto speakers.
Pasporta Servo was first published in 1974, Couchsurfing in 2003. Couchsurfing is a new
phenomenon, while Pasporta Servo has matured and become an integral part of Esperanto
culture. You can tour Iran or Senegal and be hosted by Esperanto speakers - it's not
amazing or scary, it's what Esperanto speakers do and have been doing for almost 40
years now.

Traveling with or without Esperanto is a vastly different experience, even taking
Couchsurfing into account. You just have to experience it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6474 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 32 of 42
22 April 2011 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
JasonE wrote:
And I agree that it would be a lot easier to just read books in English about various cultures, but a lot of books never get translated, and it world be interesting to read contemporary books and news.

In larger languages, thousands of books are published each year. There is no way you could read all of them anyway. Now if you only look at the number of translations (see the Index Translationum), you'll still find that even for small languages there are still hundreds to thousands of translations available in English or French and the best books are most likely to be among those that are translated.

Translations are generally pretty good. There is always something lost, but in order to appreciate the original more than the translation, you need to know the original language extremely well and that takes a lot of time. For example, if you want to read Russian literature, you'd need to spend about 3000 hours (as estimated by the DLI) of your time just to get to the level where you can actually start reading - more than enough time to read the complete works of Tolstoi, Dostoyevski, and Pushkin in translation.

I think reading a lot of different books from different countries might give you a better idea of which culture/language interests you most and then you can still learn the language to read the originals. For example, I read Persian poetry (Hafez, Rumi, Sadi, Omar Khayyam) in German, which sparked my interest for learning Persian.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version