Canada
Joined 4879 days ago

54 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 9 of 42
20 April 2011 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
Jinx wrote:
I have to say that I think learning a language such as Afrikaans won't do much to expand your
cultural boundaries if you don't plan on spending some time in South Africa. It's extremely similar to English,
linguistically speaking, and just staying in Canada and studying a language so close to English won't do much for
you, culturally speaking. Of course you'll be able to experience films/literature/etc. in the language, but I don't
think the language ITSELF will broaden your mind much.

Good point. Since I'm not an aspiring globe trotter, I don't think I would want to include necessarily traveling to a
country which speaks the target language. But for sure literature, film, news, and other media would be included.

And the language doesn't necessarily have to be an easy one. If a language were moderately difficult but provided
the opportunity for tremendous cultural expansion then it might still meet the criteria that I'm looking for.
1 person has voted this message useful

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6474 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 10 of 42
20 April 2011 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
If you learn French, you can really dive deep into European culture, so learning another European language like German or Italian wouldn't really open a entirely different culture.

Spanish wouldn't "cost" much and open a whole new continent and its culture (although you'd still stay in the so-called Western culture).

Persian is a rather easy language (although learning to read the Arabic alphabet can be off-putting) and since geographically and culturally it's been the bridge between the West and the East, it can open a door to the Islamic and (to some extent) Indian cultures.

Hindi is the lingua franca of India, whose culture is extremely different from Western culture. I'm not an expert, but I've studied it a bit and it doesn't seem overly complicated.

Probably, East Asian cultures are the most exotic from your perspective, but languages like Chinese or Japanese require a huge investment of time to get anywhere.

Personally, I think Persian or Hindi would be the best investment in terms of time spent vs. cultural insights gained. However, I also think that if your goal is to break anglo-centrism, it would be easier (and less time-consuming) to make a reading list including authors from many different countries and read their works in English translation (for example, pick a book each from Mexico, Peru, Denmark, Austria, Portugal, Poland, Greece, Russia, China, Iran, Egypt, Nigeria, India, Japan and Indonesia). I believe that you will learn a lot more about different cultures than by studying the grammar or vocabulary of any single language.

One final remark on Afrikaans: I've traveled to South Africa several times and also studied some basic Afrikaans. It didn't give me much insight into African culture, since Afrikaans is basically used by a rather European subset of the South African population. English is much better to explore South African culture.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6474 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 11 of 42
20 April 2011 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Other difficult languages which would work as kind of "key to culture" for you might be Hindi or Arabic (a friend studied it for this purpose)

Linguistically, Arabic is probably one of the best choices if you want to broaden your horizon, since virtually everything is different from English.
Culturally, I think that Persian and Arabic offer similar benefits, but Persian is much easier to learn.

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4995 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 12 of 42
21 April 2011 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
While I'm personally not a fan of Esperanto, I agree that it would be a good language for experiencing many different cultures. However, I have a suspicion that most of the people who learn it are European, so it might not get you too far out of "Western" culture.
3 persons have voted this message useful

JasonE
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4879 days ago

54 posts - 78 votes 

Message 13 of 42
21 April 2011 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
Marc Frisch wrote:
If you learn French, you can really dive deep into European culture, so learning another
European language like German or Italian wouldn't really open a entirely different culture.

Spanish wouldn't "cost" much and open a whole new continent and its culture (although you'd still stay in the so-
called Western culture).

Persian is a rather easy language (although learning to read the Arabic alphabet can be off-putting) and since
geographically and culturally it's been the bridge between the West and the East, it can open a door to the
Islamic and (to some extent) Indian cultures.

Hindi is the lingua franca of India, whose culture is extremely different from Western culture. I'm not an expert,
but I've studied it a bit and it doesn't seem overly complicated.

Probably, East Asian cultures are the most exotic from your perspective, but languages like Chinese or Japanese
require a huge investment of time to get anywhere.

Personally, I think Persian or Hindi would be the best investment in terms of time spent vs. cultural insights
gained. However, I also think that if your goal is to break anglo-centrism, it would be easier (and less time-
consuming) to make a reading list including authors from many different countries and read their works
in English translation (for example, pick a book each from Mexico, Peru, Denmark, Austria, Portugal, Poland,
Greece, Russia, China, Iran, Egypt, Nigeria, India, Japan and Indonesia). I believe that you will learn a lot more
about different cultures than by studying the grammar or vocabulary of any single language.

One final remark on Afrikaans: I've traveled to South Africa several times and also studied some basic Afrikaans.
It didn't give me much insight into African culture, since Afrikaans is basically used by a rather European subset
of the South African population. English is much better to explore South African culture.

I've never really considered Persian before, thanks for the recommendation, I'll be sure to read up about it. And I
agree that it would be a lot easier to just read books in English about various cultures, but a lot of books never
get translated, and it world be interesting to read contemporary books and news.

I find Spanish to be interesting as well since it would open up a huge portion of South America to me.

What about Swahili? The FSI rated it at 750-900 hours, about the same as German.

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5859 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 14 of 42
21 April 2011 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
JasonE wrote:

Is learning one language in the same general culture (Western) enough to break anglo-centrism, or would
learning a non-western language go much further towards that aim? Would it be worth the extra study time that
comes from the hurdles associated with learning a "more foreign" language? I'm an economics major, so I'm
looking to talk efficiency here. This won't be the sole determinant in choosing my next language, so lets not start
saying that this is a poor method to choose a language to learn.

Something about this paragraph bothers me. Are you more concerned with not being perceived as "Euro centric" in the least amount of time and work than you are in learning about other cultures? Do you expect to be suddenly not Euro-centric when you learn an "exotic" language?

In my opinion, learning languages are the effect, not the cause, of a genuine interest in other cultures.

Edited by irrationale on 21 April 2011 at 2:20am

5 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5071 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 15 of 42
21 April 2011 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
JasonE wrote:
One of my aims in learning languages is to be able to understand other cultures better and to not be so anglo-centric. The language that I am studying now (french) will help me to understand the french community within Canada and the other french speaking parts of the world. I'm looking ahead to my second language, and I'm
wondering what will give me the most cultural perspective for my time invested...Any opinions?

So many good suggestions have already been offered. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. You say you want to be less "anglo-centric". Spanish will help you do that and open up a large indigenous community to you in our hemisphere. Portuguese will do the same for you in our hemisphere with Brazil. It is also an African language (Angola, Mozambique, São Tome, Guinea Bissau) and to a much smaller extent, an Asian language (East Timor, Goa, Macau). Granted, Portuguese and Spanish are still western languages but there are plenty of non-westerners who speak both.

You're learning French to better understand your fellow Canadians- what about Inuktitut? Inuit related languages stretch from Greenland to across the Bering Strait. Inukitut is representative of a non-western culture with many speakers spread across the vast northern tier of your own country. Inuktitut is probably not easy for an indo-european language speaker but it would definitely give you a fascinating cultural perspective within your own country.

More conventionally but still outside the mainstream, your French would open up Haitian Creole to you at very little cost and there are many Haitians living in Canada.

It's always good to broaden one's horizons. Best of luck to you and please let us know what you decide to do!

Edited by iguanamon on 21 April 2011 at 2:49am

2 persons have voted this message useful

JasonE
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4879 days ago

54 posts - 78 votes 

Message 16 of 42
21 April 2011 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
irrationale wrote:
JasonE wrote:

Is learning one language in the same general culture (Western) enough to break anglo-centrism, or would
learning a non-western language go much further towards that aim? Would it be worth the extra study time that
comes from the hurdles associated with learning a "more foreign" language? I'm an economics major, so I'm
looking to talk efficiency here. This won't be the sole determinant in choosing my next language, so lets not start
saying that this is a poor method to choose a language to learn.

Something about this paragraph bothers me. Are you more concerned with not being perceived as "Euro centric"
in the least amount of time and work than you are in learning about other cultures? Do you expect to be
suddenly not Euro-centric when you learn an "exotic" language?

In my opinion, learning languages are the effect, not the cause, of a genuine interest in other cultures.

I'm not worried about being perceived as less "euro centric", I simply have a strong desire to learn and increase
my mental horizons. As much as I hate to admit it, I'll never have enough time to learn about everything that I'd
like to, so I must therefore be efficient in my learning to get the most out of life. I don't expect to become non
"euro-centric" once I learn a sufficiently different language, but rather I'm hoping that the new language will
enable me, through reading it's books and absorbing it's media, to better understand the target culture,
especially contemporary culture, which often gets translated slowly for us westerners if at all.

Edited by JasonE on 21 April 2011 at 3:01am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version