4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 25 of 47
26 January 2011 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
Cammela wrote:
slucido wrote:
Cammela wrote:
His method doesn't appeal to me because he had a terrible accent, he isn't a model of excellence;D

What accent are you talking about?

His Mandarin seems native. This is his stronger language and he learned Mandarin using this method.

I'm not a polyglot, I have been studying mandarin for 2 years without big results ;D , but of one thing I'm sure, his French, Italian and Spanish accent are atrocious. And these are simple languages...

I don't like this forum because you are destroying all my heroes.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Elagabalus
Diglot
United States
Joined 4990 days ago

12 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*, PortugueseC1
Studies: Mandarin, German, Russian, French

Message 26 of 47
28 January 2011 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
Quote:
I'm not a polyglot, I have been studying mandarin for 2 years without big results ;D , but of one thing I'm sure, his French, Italian and Spanish accent are atrocious. And these are simple languages...

He definitely does comes off to me as wooden in Spanish, which is rather odd considering all his ear training. But, at issue here is the method, not him as a practitioner of the method.

To that end, my question would be about the type of sentences to choose for the 10,000 sentences. It seemed like random ones or, at least, I don't recall anything stipulating the criteria for selecting them or grading them by structure or in some progression. In short, I question what appears to be a purely mechanical procedure. Learning a language cannot be solely about repetition and other memory training techniques.
2 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6471 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 27 of 47
28 January 2011 at 8:06am | IP Logged 
Elagabalus wrote:
Quote:

He definitely does comes off to me as wooden in Spanish, which is rather odd considering all his ear training. But, at issue here is the method, not him as a practitioner of the method.

To that end, my question would be about the type of sentences to choose for the 10,000 sentences. It seemed like random ones or, at least, I don't recall anything stipulating the criteria for selecting them or grading them by structure or in some progression. In short, I question what appears to be a purely mechanical procedure. Learning a language cannot be solely about repetition and other memory training techniques.

It seems it is the criteria of the phrasebook or textbook he uses. For example, you can record the whole example sentences in a grammar book.

If I understand, this the core method he uses and not the only one.

1 person has voted this message useful

hypersport
United States
Joined 5677 days ago

216 posts - 307 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 28 of 47
30 January 2011 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
First of all I think trying to memorize sentences and phrases is a joke. That isn't learning the language, it certainly isn't thinking in the language.

When you get the opportunity to speak with natives, you can't be pulling crap out of your bag that was memorized.   All your canned responses will become obvious so fast when you can't think on your feet and adapt to the flow of the conversation.

I agree with zerothinking, read novels. The advantages are many and I've already gone over them many times.

On another note, I watched part of his video and then clicked on a link where he was trying to speak in Spanish.   Freaking train wreck, his spoken Spanish was incredibly bad and many people commented as such. I couldn't even take the whole thing, had to cut it short it was so bad.

Speaking with natives in their language isn't about parroting off canned phrases and sentences. It's about engaging with them and their culture, joking with them, being sarcastic, showing emotion, etc. Everything that you do with friends in your native language.

I was speaking with a guy from Spain and another guy from California for a couple of hours the other night and we talked about all kinds of stuff, all in Spanish. Would have been a disaster if I would have had to pull sentences and phrases out of my big bag of tricks.   

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5807 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 29 of 47
30 January 2011 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
Elagabalus wrote:
I don't recall anything stipulating the criteria for selecting them or grading them by structure or in some progression.

This is the problem with all advice from successful learners -- very few people are aware enough of the detail of what they're doing to describe it completely and accurately. The end result is that the advice is very superficial and not much use to anyone.

What I like about forums like this one is that when you get a chance to challenge each other properly, you can eke out all the little details until you have a full picture. With YouTube videos, there isn't the same give and take.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5226 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 30 of 47
31 January 2011 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
hypersport wrote:
First of all I think trying to memorize sentences and phrases is a joke. That isn't learning the language, it certainly isn't thinking in the language.

When you get the opportunity to speak with natives, you can't be pulling crap out of your bag that was memorized.   All your canned responses will become obvious so fast when you can't think on your feet and adapt to the flow of the conversation.

I agree with zerothinking, read novels. The advantages are many and I've already gone over them many times.

On another note, I watched part of his video and then clicked on a link where he was trying to speak in Spanish.   Freaking train wreck, his spoken Spanish was incredibly bad and many people commented as such. I couldn't even take the whole thing, had to cut it short it was so bad.

Speaking with natives in their language isn't about parroting off canned phrases and sentences. It's about engaging with them and their culture, joking with them, being sarcastic, showing emotion, etc. Everything that you do with friends in your native language.

I was speaking with a guy from Spain and another guy from California for a couple of hours the other night and we talked about all kinds of stuff, all in Spanish. Would have been a disaster if I would have had to pull sentences and phrases out of my big bag of tricks.   

I want to take exception with some of the blanket statements here. I don't know if this so-called 10,000 sentence method really is a method, but I don't think the idea is to just memorize phrases randomly and then spit them out at the appropriate moment. My impression is that these collections of phrases are resources that can to be used intelligently and with great effectiveness.

For me (and maybe for me only), the idea behind this approach is use these phrases as examples that are to be not only imitated but also studied to understand how the language works--see the underlying patterns-- and then used as templates to build one's own examples. I look at these examples as sources of inspiration.

In fact, I believe this is how most people learn languages, it's just that we don't want to admit it, and it is not often done systematically. When we read a grammar book, we digest the explanations and then look at the examples as illustrations of the "theory". What do we do with the examples? In some manner we imitate them and try to reformulate them "in our own words". Aren't conjugation tables just structured lists of examples that we attempt to memorize and then apply in sentences?

My idea of this 10,000 sentence approach is to think of it as a grammar and a vocabulary book without any explanation. The examples would be organized by grammatical or lexical patterns. The examples are not be be parroted. They are illustrations of the pattern. If an example can be used as is, fine. If not, then modify it until it fits the bill.

Let me give a real example. For Spanish I use a wall chart product in the form of a large calendar that I have on the wall next to my computer screen. The theme that I'm currently looking at is the subjunctive mood. There are 41 complete sentences that illustrate the present tense subjunctive in Spanish. There are no explanations, just examples. Since the page is in front of me all the time, my eye roams over all the examples every day. Sometimes I choose one or two to work on. I can modify the examples to my liking or needs. The important thing is understanding how the underlying pattern works.

The neat thing I like about this tool is that I have 41 real, trustworthy and idiomatic "chunks" to build on. I have found this very useful for developing true fluency. I also have flash cards for these phrases and when I go to Spanish-language meetups, I take a couple with me so that I can deliberately try to use a particular turn of phrase.

As a matter of fact, at these meetups I see that most learners are struggling because they are thinking too much about the grammar and the vocabulary. Their speech is often awkward, hesitant and downright inaccurate. You can see the cogs turning in their head as they search for the right form. The people who speak the best tend to be those who have lived in Spanish-speaking countries. That only makes sense. They have spontaneously assimilated the patterns in complete phrases. In a sense they have naturally used the 10,000 sentence method in some form of immersion setting.

Just a little note on reading novels. Obviously not a bad idea. I would just add that some thought should be given to what kind of Spanish one is learning and for what purpose. If you want to learn conversational Spanish, I would choose something contemporary with lots of dialogues. Comic books are excellent for this. So are movies and telenovelas. Certainly not Don Quijote or Cien aƱos de soledad.
9 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6705 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 47
31 January 2011 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
To hypersport:

Maybe I remember Glossika's Youtube clip wrongly, but I don't think he advocated that we should memorize the sentences (after all, he does 500 of them per day - who could remember that amount?). What this vocal sentence method is about (in my opinion) is to get a feel for the grammar and to exercise your muscle (i.e. your tongue) at the same time by reading the sentences aloud. Twice is better than once, of course. Maybe some of the sentences stick, especially after listening to the recordings, but that's about the same thing as when great musicians improvise. Some patterns re-appear, but the improvisations aren't rehearsed (and neither is "real" speech).
7 persons have voted this message useful

Thuan
Triglot
GermanyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6726 days ago

133 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese, German*, English
Studies: French, Japanese, Romanian, Swedish, Mandarin

Message 32 of 47
31 January 2011 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
From what I remember he mentioned recording several sentences where just a single word is changing (i.e. different fruits) which reminded me of the FSI drills.

I don't expect him to memorize a couple of thousand sentences in a week, but he sure does get to practice speaking much more than most people on this forum (who else is saying out loud 40,000 sentences in two weeks?).

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 47 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version