Joined 6470 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 9 of 47
15 January 2011 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:

I am sure if the very same sentence pairs were available from a native speaker, people
(including Glossika) would be happy to use them. The problem, though, is that most
bilingual sentence lists are only available on paper - and it takes many hours to make
audio for them. So, it isn't really something you can reasonably expect a friend to do
for you, or (unless you are rich) pay somebody to do. Anyway, the purpose of the audio
sentences method is to absorb meaning not pronunciation. The argument that minor
mistakes in pronunciation being impossible to correct later is simply nonsense.

Overall, the audio sentences method is, at least in my experience, an excellent way of
throwing a lot of sentences at your ears very quickly and very often. It is really
fast-paced brain-training.

I agree. It seems that if we keep moving our tongue, we will retain more even if our pronunciation is not very good.

Using phrasebooks with pronunciation transcription seems useful. Other trick is to OCR the sentences and to use a TTS software to be sure about your pronunciation.

By the way, being an advanced learner, reduces mispronunciations.

1 person has voted this message useful

aabram
Pentaglot
Estonia
Joined 5328 days ago

138 posts - 263 votes 
Speaks: Estonian*, English, Spanish, Russian, Finnish
Studies: Mandarin, French

Message 11 of 47
15 January 2011 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
I am sure if the very same sentence pairs were available from a native
speaker, people (including Glossika) would be happy to use them. The problem, though,
is that most bilingual sentence lists are only available on paper - and it takes many
hours to make audio for them.

Sure, same pairs are not available with audio, but there is no lack of audio for
Russian in general. Why not recite news clips or podcasts, for that matter? Take a
recording of morning news and recite all day long. Should give real enough vocabulary.

I'm not critisizing him for doing what he does, because obviously it works for him at
some level, just wondering why he chose that particular path that he did.

Splog wrote:
The argument that minor mistakes in pronunciation are impossible to
correct later is simply nonsense.

Who argued where?

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6470 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 12 of 47
15 January 2011 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
aabram wrote:
Splog wrote:
I am sure if the very same sentence pairs were available from a native
speaker, people (including Glossika) would be happy to use them. The problem, though,
is that most bilingual sentence lists are only available on paper - and it takes many
hours to make audio for them.

Sure, same pairs are not available with audio, but there is no lack of audio for
Russian in general. Why not recite news clips or podcasts, for that matter? Take a
recording of morning news and recite all day long. Should give real enough vocabulary.

He explains in the video that his approach to learning languages is very conversational. It makes sense he uses this kind of sentence method with huge phrasebooks (5,000 to 20,000 phrases)as main resource.

I think it is possible to use this approach with news transcriptions, sitcom scripts, books and so on. If we like literature, I think it's possible to use a paralell text and to read aloud L1 and L2 alternatively.

Edited by slucido on 15 January 2011 at 9:13pm

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5806 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 13 of 47
16 January 2011 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
The argument that minor
mistakes in pronunciation are impossible to correct later is simply nonsense.

That's a rather tautologous statement -- any pronunciation mistake that is impossible to correct later would fall into the category of a major mistake, if you ask me.

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5464 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 14 of 47
16 January 2011 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
aabram wrote:

For the same reason many language courses exist, rather than just telling people to
listen and repeat radio shows. Lists of sentence pairs usually have a specific focus.
For example, sentences relating to business meetings ("If we now turn to the agenda
...", "We can bring this meeting to a close.", etc) and cram a lot of relevant
vocabulary and sentence structure into them. By creating several such lists, you then
cover several areas. In effect, it is like a giant audio phrase book.

The process is certainly very intensive (this stuff tends not to work as "background
listening"), and can certainly be followed up with lots of more extensive listening
(radio, TV, etc).
2 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6470 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 15 of 47
16 January 2011 at 10:11am | IP Logged 
It is interesting that Glossika speed up the audio every time he listens to it. I have been doing this with my L2 audios (sitcoms, radio, audiobooks) . I use Audacity. It is a way to make the most of my time. If I understand 100% an audio, I seed up it. It means same input in less time. It's a good idea.

Edited by slucido on 16 January 2011 at 10:12am

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6167 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 16 of 47
16 January 2011 at 12:28pm | IP Logged 
A good way to get exposure to thousands of sentences is to read books in the target
language. Quick, easy, cheap, and limitless.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 47 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version