Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Using Esperanto to learn other languages?

Language Learning Forum : Esperanto Post Reply
22 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
Enriquee
Triglot
Groupie
United States
esperantofre.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5132 days ago

51 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Esperanto, English

Message 17 of 22
22 July 2010 at 7:52am | IP Logged 

Mrhenrik said

>How does this benefit any of us, who mostly
>speak another language already or have at
>least gotten over the barrier?

Here, you are right.

It is not just "the barrier", but looks like generally the third language is easier than the second ... and you already have the second. Those 2 parts of the benefits of learning Esperanto before the next language, will not benefit you.

The structure of Esperanto, makes it easier to grasp grammar concepts. Many Esperanto students say that while studying Esperanto, they begin to understand better the grammar of their native languages.

There is one other benefit. Suppose that you already learned German, and Russian, and Arabic ... and now you want to learn Japanese ... Just 20 hours of Esperanto learning would allow you to communicate (with mistakes) with people in Japan. This people will be very happy to help you learn their native language. The other languages would not help you.

You may say that using English you can also find people in Japan. But the people that learned Esperanto, did so to be able to communicate with people of other countries, other cultures. They want to talk to you. They want to help you. The same is valid for most countries.

>I am aware of how quick Esperanto is
>to learn, but that is hardly relevant.

I don't agree. I wouldn't have learned Esperanto if that would take me the same time that took me to learn English. I didn't have that kind of time for Esperanto. I had to learn English because I moved to New York City.

If I were to tell you that you should use your next 2000 study-hours to learn Esperanto, so you can save 100 hours from the study of your next language ... that wouldn't make any sense.

>If the benefits are so obvious, why
>can't you just tell us what they are

The benefits that I have seen in other Esperanto speakers, I have already mentioned here: Learning Esperanto makes easier the study of the next language saving some study time. It also helps improve the use of their native languages. I just don't know any other way to explain what I have seen in other Esperanto speakers and in myself.

>instead of telling us to "learn it and see for yourself"

Before learning Esperanto you don't believe what I am saying and what other Esperanto speakers say. It looks that the only way that you can appreciate Esperanto is after using it. This happened to many Esperanto speakers.

1 person has voted this message useful

Enriquee
Triglot
Groupie
United States
esperantofre.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5132 days ago

51 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Esperanto, English

Message 18 of 22
23 July 2010 at 4:15am | IP Logged 

Vilas said

>If you want learn a conlang that can help you to learn other
>languagesinterlingua the modern latin , is the best choice

There are at least 4 faces to the learning of a language. For people speaking one of the languages that came from Latin, it is "easy" to read Interlingua. When I read it I believe that I understand most of it, but I don't know if I misinterpret any word or group of words.

I suppose that listening to Interlingua could be about the same ... only that I never had the opportunity to hear 2 people speaking in this language. Where can I participate in a conversation in Interlingua?

I believe that learning to speak and to write is not that easy. How long takes the average person to learn to speak and to write in Interlingua?

How long will take to learn to speak and to write Interlingua to a person that doesn't know any of the languages related to Interlingua?

Thank you,

Enrique

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6706 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 22
23 July 2010 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
Enriquee wrote:
It is not just "the barrier", but looks like generally the third language is easier than the second ... and you already have the second. Those 2 parts of the benefits of learning Esperanto before the next language, will not benefit you./.../Learning Esperanto makes easier the study of the next language saving some study time.

I'm not arguing with this. Learning Esperanto enables you to:
1) communicate/read in Esperanto (no surprise)
2) learn how a "new", "easy" language "works", which possibly leads to...
3) every new language becomes easier to learn - but, other than that Esperanto may be easy and give the average Joe decent command of grammar and confidence in having learned a new language, I fail to see how Esperanto is "unique" in that respect.

Enriquee wrote:
The structure of Esperanto, makes it easier to grasp grammar concepts. Many Esperanto students say that while studying Esperanto, they begin to understand better the grammar of their native languages./.../It also helps improve the use of their native languages.

This I don't get. Esperanto itself doesn't teach me much about "grammar", I already know Swedish grammar inside out.

Enriquee wrote:
There is one other benefit. Suppose that you already learned German, and Russian, and Arabic ... and now you want to learn Japanese ... Just 20 hours of Esperanto learning would allow you to communicate (with mistakes) with people in Japan.

This would allow us to communicate with Japanese who already speak Esperanto, I assume? I might be wrong, but I think it's more likely that anybody of those speak some other, "major" language, e.g. English.

Despite the snake oil arguments, I like Esperanto. :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

vilas
Pentaglot
Italy
Joined 6757 days ago

531 posts - 722 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Italian*, English, French, Portuguese

Message 20 of 22
28 July 2010 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 

I suppose that listening to Interlingua could be about the same ... only that I never had the opportunity to hear 2 people speaking in this language. Where can I participate in a conversation in Interlingua?

I believe that learning to speak and to write is not that easy. How long takes the average person to learn to speak and to write in Interlingua?

How long will take to learn to speak and to write Interlingua to a person that doesn't know any of the languages related to Interlingua?

Thank you,

Enrique
[/QUOTE]
Interlingua is really an "Auxiliary language" because gives an easy help to communication with ease.
Interlingua is more useful than esperanto because if you learn it you can communicate with somebody speaking a romance language , even if he/she does'n't know the existence of interlingua .Paradoxically Interlingua is more known in Scandinavia than in Southern Europe . There are many danes, swedes, norwegians that don't know neolatin languages but they know interlingua and when they visit Italy,Spain,Portugal they don't find any difficulty to make themselves understood . The local they meet just think that these scandinavians speak a kind of funny latin...but they understand them . I have heard that frenchmen are not easy with interlingua, but , usually they prefer allways speak only in french.

With skype and chatrooms in some interlingua.com or other sites and forums.If you want to hear it go on youtube and write "interlingua"

I believe that learning to speak and to write is not that easy. How long takes the average person to learn to speak and to write in Interlingua
For you that are a Spanish mothertongue frome one week to one month .
You can start here. www.interlingua.com/novas/2009-01-11-espaniol

I dont'know but I know that the majority of Interlingua speakers are Scandinavians,Germans,Dutch.........if you want you can ask them

www.interlingua.dk Denmark www.interlingua.nu Sweden www.interlingua.fi Finland
etc etc .

joha87
United States
Joined 5543 days ago

14 posts - 21 votes
Studies: Korean, English*
Studies: German

Message 21 of 22
11 August 2010 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
If interlingua is useful for romance languages, wouldn't lingua franca nova be much better in that regard? Lingua Franca Nova draws its vocabulary from only the Romance Languages, giving you a greater coverage of cognates while interlingua also draws a lot vocabulary from English and some from the other Germanic and Slavic languages.

I also picked Esperanto because it seemed more useful to me than interlingua in the grammar department. It can get you acquainted with cases, agglutination, building words from roots and free word order which is lacking in Interlingua. And given the other languages that I'm mainly studying right now, Japanese and Korean, I find Esperanto's word-building, agglutination, and free word order useful for reinforcing and illuminating those elements in these languages. And since German is next on my hitlist, I feel being used to Esperanto grammar will give me an even greater leg-up in German than it does in Japanese or Korean.

Edited by joha87 on 11 August 2010 at 6:36pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version