Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Using Esperanto to learn other languages?

Language Learning Forum : Esperanto Post Reply
22 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
joha87
United States
Joined 5543 days ago

14 posts - 21 votes
Studies: Korean, English*
Studies: German

Message 1 of 22
17 July 2010 at 5:58am | IP Logged 
Is this possible? Are there any materials in Esperanto for learning other languages? Mainly I'm thinking about for French and just basic grammar books, like Schaum's Outline of French Grammar, really. And possibly any graded readers with a bilingual Esperanto-French format. Do such language materials exist? And if they do, how good are their quality? Can they stack up against similar materials for English speakers?

Of course, I could find out this information probably if I could read Esperanto, but I'm not at that level, and this is just for the somewhat more distant future, since french is on my hitlist.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6236 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 22
17 July 2010 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
Esperanto is a small language. There are some nice materials in it, but nowhere near the amount that there are in English.

There are some bilingual books; I haven't seen graded readers, but I haven't looked. There are also some good dictionaries and phrase books. Everything tends to be the labor of love of an individual or small group, though, so don't expect to find large series.

Enriquee
Triglot
Groupie
United States
esperantofre.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5132 days ago

51 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Esperanto, English

Message 3 of 22
20 July 2010 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
>and this is just for the somewhat
>more distant future, since french
>is on my hitlist.

Do you know that it takes LESS time
to learn Esperanto and French, than
just learning French?

Do you know that the best course to
learn French is in French, not in English?

Here is the address of the introduction
in English to this best French course ...
Everything else is in French. But,
remember, you will save time if you start
with Esperanto. It will take you about
15 hours to complete the basic Esperanto
course.

Kurso de Esperanto:

http://www.kurso.com.br/index.php?en

French:(From Yale University)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKSSF9Mt480

Enrique

mrhenrik
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5876 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, French
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 22
20 July 2010 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
Do you have any sources for any of those claims?

Enriquee
Triglot
Groupie
United States
esperantofre.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5132 days ago

51 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Esperanto, English

Message 5 of 22
20 July 2010 at 5:34am | IP Logged 
>Do you have any sources for any of those claims?

French: As you must know, everything you tube is a 10-minute file. The Yale University course has 52 lessons of 26 minutes each ... about 22 hours in total ... 156 youtube files. The first lesson in English, takes 3 files. The other 153 files are French only.
Watch at least half an hour of the French only files, and tell me what you think of
that. The whole thing was made by Yale University ... in 1987. More info at

http://fiafans.org/about
      http://www.learner.org/r esourc es/ser ies83. html?pop=yes&pid=684#

Esperanto: There are some sources about my claims ... all written in Esperanto. There are references to at least 10 experiments in many countries. One of the earlier ones, in Columbia University, New York City, 1924.

I don't need those testimonials. I can assert those claims from my own experience. First, my own learning English got a little better after I learned Esperanto ... 50 years ago. Then, many more similar experiences from Esperanto speakers I met in different occasions. Then ... I have been teaching Esperanto by email for many years, and I can see the reactions of those that have finished at least one course.

Another source: A famous Esperanto speaker, by the name of Claude Piron, left this world 2 years ago at the age of 76. He learned Esperanto when he was 12. The fact that he was capable of speaking another language after a short learning period, and the connections he made through Esperanto (no Internet at that time) helped him to try
another languages. His native language was French. After Esperanto he learned Chinese,
and then several other languages. He worked 6 years as a translator for the United Nations, and then went to work for the Health World Organization.

Because he knew several languages, his work took him to many countries, where he always met local Esperanto speakers.

http://www.youtube.com/w atch?v =_YHAL nLV9XU

http://esperantofre.com/ book/i ndex.htm#piron

(No matter how many times I re-edit this post, the web addresses always appear with spaces. Make sure to remove any spaces from these addresses)

Enrique

Edited by Enriquee on 20 July 2010 at 6:46am

1 person has voted this message useful

mrhenrik
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5876 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, French
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 22
20 July 2010 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
You can assert from your own experience that it is quicker to learn Esperanto and French than just French? You've tried both? I would be interested in some links to these sources if you have, even if they're in Esperanto.

Personal anecdotes helps for you, but they're not very convincing for me. How does your improvement with English support your claim that Esperanto+French is learnt quicker than just French? Similarly, I'm sure Claude Piron was a fantastic person, but I'm equally sure there's similar stories and persons who learnt French or English and used those languages to become a polyglot, without that being a testament to either language's ability to superspeed your language learning.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6267 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 7 of 22
20 July 2010 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
There is a detailed listing of experiments proving this claim at
http://www.worldlingo.com/ma/enwiki/en/Propaedeutic_value_of _Esperanto . This
used to be a Wikipedia article but Wikipedia decided to merge it into the main Esperanto
article, losing a lot of the detail and references.
1 person has voted this message useful

Romanist
United Kingdom
Joined 5079 days ago

261 posts - 366 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 8 of 22
20 July 2010 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
There is a detailed listing of experiments proving this claim at http://www.worldlingo.com/ma/enwiki/en/Propaedeutic_value_of _Esperanto . This used to be a Wikipedia article but Wikipedia decided to merge it into the main Esperanto article, losing a lot of the detail and references.

These experiments seem to have been carried out either directly by the Esperanto University in San Marino, or by people who were/are very closely involved with that institution.

Obviously, this does not automatically invalidate the integrity of these studies. But one should be somewhat sceptical about experiments carried out by researchers who have a personal or vested interest in getting a particular result, I think.

To be convinced, I would also want to see some research done by completely independent people.

Edited by Romanist on 20 July 2010 at 2:06pm

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version