Language Learning Forum : Esperanto Post Reply
78 messages over 10 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 9 10 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6281 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 49 of 78
15 April 2010 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
dmaddock1 wrote:
dmaddock1 wrote:

Even better, Google Books has Z_8CG9g2jIC">limited preview, though I'll have to buy this if I decide to go for
it.

Ok, this book already has me converted. Don't leave HTLAL yet please! At least, not
without first suggesting your favorite piece of Esperanto literature. Holding a quality
book in my hand I can't read is my prime motivator.

d.

I'm not as much of a literature buff as you are; I mostly learn languages for the
linguistic insights, also because of my job as a computational linguist developing a
machine translation system. That being said, I usually recommend "Fajron sentas mi
interne" by Ulrich Matthias because it's of good literary value while still being
suitable as a first or second read for a language student. I also really enjoyed "La
ŝtona urbo" by Anna Löwenstein because it's the kind of book I'd want to read in any
language. On the other hand, I fail to understand the awesomeness of "La infana raso",
which was proposed for the Nobel prize in literature. I'm probably not the best one to
talk to about this.

Splog, if this was just a matter of some people being wrong, I would not care. In fact,
I prefer talking to people with different opinions rather than those who think the same
as me on everything; it makes the world interesting. However, I have no tolerance for
racism, tenacious prejudices or people looking for gratuitous fights. If I want to talk
to people who think it's a waste of time to study languages other than for business
reasons, I only have to step outside the door in my hometown. The same people may say
that Swahili speakers don't have a culture, that the French are an arrogant bunch that
nobody should want to associate with, and that the Maori language holds no insights for
anyone. While growing up there I was berated left and right for this language-learning
hobby of mine, some even threatened to burn my flashcards and books. A few people still
won't cease berating me for not doing something useful with my time (like going out and
getting drunk) even though studying exotic languages is arguably necessary for my job
now. I really don't need this attitude when I'm relaxing online, and I definitely had
expected better from this forum. There should be respect for every language and every
culture here.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 15 April 2010 at 7:37pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6955 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 50 of 78
15 April 2010 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the kind words, dmaddock1, although I'm sure that not everyone would necessarily agree with you, and I'm well aware that I have just as much of a tendency to get caught up in the emotions of a debate as others. I do apologize to anyone I may have offended, either in my views or my choice of words.

For what it's worth, though, I suspect that if you ask about Esperanto literature, in what Caintearr has referred to as an "internal thread", you'll probably get helpful answers with little of the deadly pro et contra that's marked this thread. (Although once Sprachprofi gets her Esperanto board up and running, that would probably be the best place to put such questions.)    
1 person has voted this message useful

mrhenrik
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5890 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, French
Personal Language Map

Message 51 of 78
15 April 2010 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
Blunderstein wrote:

It's not arrogant to claim that you have a culture (which is what we Esperantists do).
However, denying somebody else's culture, that is very arrogant.

I wouldn't call not accepting evidence for, denying.

Quote:
So, Tombstone, you gave me the answer that I expected. Of course one has to be
prepared to listen to differing opinions on an Internet forum, but there are limits.
How long would you keep on talking to someone who consistently insulted you, and
refused to listen to anything you tried to explain to him? Eventually, you would (most
likely) no longer feel that it was worth your effort to continue the discussion.

I'm leaving this forum, because of the arrogance displayed by you and others on this
forum. Who will you bully next?

I haven't read the other thread, so I can't comment on what was posted there, but in
this thread there has been very little hostility in my opinion. This is not a witch
hunt against Esperanto - I would imagine the responses would be very similar had I
posted the same thread praising any other language. What's happened in this thread is
far from bullying. If you make big claims about something, of course there are people
who will disagree with them.

Just recall similar threads posted by people praising language learning methods - the
negative replies are not the result of a witch hunt, it's people with conflicting
opinions.

Quote:

daristani wrote:
As for Cordelia's supposedly having claimed that all native English-
speakers are "Esperanto-bashers" (your term, not hers), I never suggested she
did.

No, you didn't. Here is another quote from this thread:

mrhenrik wrote:
Drawing the conclusion that English natives hates Esperanto based on a
couple of threads here seems a bit peculiar.

mrhenrik was probably the one who went furthest in critizing Cordelia.

What is your point? It seemed clear to me that Cordelia was presuming this, especially
considering her previous posts which have often been not too excited about English.

Quote:

daristani wrote:
(...)

Naturally, only the Esperantists are to be blamed... I suggest that you reread some of
the posts critizing Esperanto, and the try to find threads were someone expresses the
same kind of contempt for some other language and culture.

In this thread I would say yes - the original poster, although with the best
intentions, posted in a very elitist and preaching style which certainly warranted
replies disputing his opinions. I cannot see any posts in this thread which expresses
contempt for Esperanto or it's culture - could you perhaps point them out for me?
Discrimination like that could of course be a cause of disciplinary action, but I
haven't seen any in this thread yet.

I haven't seen a thread with the same number of negative replies, but then I have never
seen a thread proclaiming the brilliance of a language and it's people in such a
fashion either.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5214 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 52 of 78
15 April 2010 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
dmaddock1 wrote:
Tombstone wrote:
That actually is not accurate. What is pointed out is that the things you list that you say make it a culture do not fit the criteria of something being a culture.

You need to study some Anthropology, my friend.

Though I'd grant you the latitude to comment on the quality of such a culture.

There is a difference in definition of culture. In America culture and civilization and used in the same way, they are practically synonyms. In Continental Europe there is a sharp difference between culture and civilization. Basically, culture is consider a lower stage of civilization (a remnant of the colonial period i.e. Europeans had civilizations while others only had cultures).

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5244 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 53 of 78
15 April 2010 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
Delodephius wrote:
There is a difference in definition of culture.

I think you are right. I think part of the problem is that people have different ideas of what qualifies as "culture". Nevertheless, I don't see why some feel the need to remind others that they don't fit into their preferred definition. The first poster does not sound like a crazy zealot to me (to be fair, neither do the "critics").

And on a personal note, I know some crazy religious zealots and I would advise against participating in debates with them. You will never convince them they are wrong and they are biters. ;)

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5480 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 54 of 78
15 April 2010 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
Delodephius wrote:
dmaddock1 wrote:
Tombstone wrote:
That actually is not accurate. What is pointed out is that the things you list that you say make it a culture do not fit the criteria of something being a culture.

You need to study some Anthropology, my friend.

Though I'd grant you the latitude to comment on the quality of such a culture.

There is a difference in definition of culture. In America culture and civilization and used in the same way, they are practically synonyms. In Continental Europe there is a sharp difference between culture and civilization. Basically, culture is consider a lower stage of civilization (a remnant of the colonial period i.e. Europeans had civilizations while others only had cultures).

My PhD was (in part) about culture, and I came up with a definition that I was eventually happy with: "A culture is a set of deeply held beliefs around which a group of people have gelled." Somebody who shares those same beliefs will be attracted to and welcomed into the culture by the group members. Somebody who has conflicting beliefs threatens the unity of the group and will see the group as an "enemy" (and the feeling will be mutual).

Importantly, you can't use logical debate to convince people from a different culture (i.e. deeply held beliefs) that you are right and they are wrong (or even that your own beliefs are just as valid as theirs). Culture clashes are emotionally-felt "injuries" to deeply held beliefs, even when the injury wasn't intended (the "outsider" doesn't have the same beliefs and so can't "feel your pain").

To get somebody "on your side" you have to get them to undergo a culture shift - and there is a whole long path for doing that, but slanging-matches, or even intellectual debate, are not part of that path.

Edited by Splog on 15 April 2010 at 10:15pm

Silvance5
Groupie
United States
Joined 5305 days ago

86 posts - 118 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, French

Message 55 of 78
16 April 2010 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
I would just like to add that Esperanto is now being taught in quite a few schools, even in the US, as it is a great gateway to other European languages.

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5233 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 56 of 78
16 April 2010 at 5:39am | IP Logged 
Blunderstein wrote:

Why don't you just leave us Esperantists alone?
Because Esperantists won't leave me alone.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 78 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version