Language Learning Forum : Esperanto Post Reply
78 messages over 10 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 9 10 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6280 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 33 of 78
15 April 2010 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
Blunderstein wrote:
Of course one has to be prepared to listen to differing opinions
on an Internet forum, but there are limits. How long would you keep on talking to
someone who consistently insulted you, and refused to listen to anything you tried to
explain to him? Eventually, you would (most likely) no longer feel that it was worth
your effort to continue the discussion.

I'm leaving this forum, because of the arrogance displayed by you and others on this
forum. Who will you bully next?

I'll check personal messages, no more.

This forum has a history of attracting more and more close-minded people (or allowing
banned ones back) and every discussion about Esperanto is of lower value than the
previous. What's more, it's impossible to simply talk about Esperanto here as you would
talk about any other foreign language, ask questions about it, mention cool features
you came across or report milestones in your learning without getting drawn into these
interminable arguments, the largest part of which are off-topic and designed to make
you unable to enjoy your language-learning success.

I will not be long now, Blunderstein, and I'm in the process of setting up a similar
forum in Esperanto. I meant to do so anyway because I have a feeling that there will be
great revelations when we can get people from Asia and Africa to weigh in with their
language-learning methods and stories.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6280 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 34 of 78
15 April 2010 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
dmaddock1 wrote:
3. Practical benefit of application of the language is access to #2.
3a. I am a introverted literature-lover without any particular inclination to foster
inter-language unity or meet people.

So, the structural aspects really appeal to me. However, the culture, while interesting
and valid, offers no real draw for me. Can some knowledgeable Esperantists speak to my
point #3a? Most of the Esperanto literature I've found are translations. Is there a
significant body of original material such that it offers a lifetime of enjoyment? And
if so, is it rife with the general ideological sentiment so often alluded to?

Actually, there are similar numbers of leftists among Esperanto speakers as there are
libertarians and anarchists in my experience [I mis-used the word "balance out"], just
center parties are less represented than could be expected. Esperanto speakers tend to
think for themselves ;-)

There is plenty of literature for you, including a lot of literature without agenda.
Esperanto has even produced several quantifiable literature movements, a key aspect of
culture imho, as it indicates that writers aren't producing in a vacuum, there is
reception, adaptation, re-mixing, referring... Get the book
"Concise Encyclopedia of the Original Literature of Esperanto"
(Esperanto/dp/1595690905">link) if you would like to confirm this aspect before
embarking on study.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 15 April 2010 at 7:34pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6966 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 35 of 78
15 April 2010 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Blunderstein wrote:
Of course one has to be prepared to listen to differing opinions
on an Internet forum, but there are limits. How long would you keep on talking to
someone who consistently insulted you, and refused to listen to anything you tried to
explain to him? Eventually, you would (most likely) no longer feel that it was worth
your effort to continue the discussion.

I'm leaving this forum, because of the arrogance displayed by you and others on this
forum. Who will you bully next?

I'll check personal messages, no more.

This forum has a history of attracting more and more close-minded people (or allowing
banned ones back) and every discussion about Esperanto is of lower value than the
previous. What's more, it's impossible to simply talk about Esperanto here as you would
talk about any other foreign language, ask questions about it, mention cool features
you came across or report milestones in your learning without getting drawn into these
interminable arguments, the largest part of which are off-topic and designed to make
you unable to enjoy your language-learning success.

I will not be long now, Blunderstein, and I'm in the process of setting up a similar
forum in Esperanto. I meant to do so anyway because I have a feeling that there will be
great revelations when we can get people from Asia and Africa to weigh in with their

As much as I have sparred with you in the past, Sprachprofi, it would be a shame if you'd leave. You do offer valuable stuff about languages other than Esperanto. I'm just sayin'...
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6280 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 37 of 78
15 April 2010 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
Sprachprofi wrote:

As much as I have sparred with you in the past, Sprachprofi, it would be a shame if
you'd leave. You do offer valuable stuff about languages other than Esperanto. I'm just
sayin'...

There's nothing I enjoy so much as a good spar here and there, and you're a good
opponent for whom I have a lot of respect. Yet I'm tired of this forum's thrashings
whenever Esperanto is brought up, and I'm not ready to censor myself to only talk about
my other languages.

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 38 of 78
15 April 2010 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:

Actually, leftists balance out with libertarians and anarchists in my experience, just
center parties are less represented than could be expected. Esperanto speakers tend to
think for themselves ;-)

There is plenty of literature for you, including a lot of literature without agenda.
Esperanto has even produced several quantifiable literature movements, a key aspect of
culture imho, as it indicates that writers aren't producing in a vacuum, there is
reception, adaptation, re-mixing, referring... Get the book
"Concise Encyclopedia of the Original Literature of Esperanto"
(Esperanto/dp/1595690905">link) if you would like to confirm this aspect before
embarking on study.

EXACTLY the sort of resource I was hoping for, thanks! Even better, Google Books has limited preview, though I'll have to buy this if I decide to go for it.

Funny too that the guy who wrote the preface is a professor at the Uni. of Hartford--virtually in my backyard.

Tombstone wrote:
I would also hope you would grant that the definition of 'culture' appears to have been broadened.

I would actually. It happens, though I don't find that fact or others' propensity to use it offensive and am not that interested in a semantic argument.

d.

daristani
United States
Joined 6954 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 39 of 78
15 April 2010 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
I guess that, based on the above, when it comes to the final intergalactic showdown between constructed languages, I'm now going to put my money on Klingon rather than Esperanto. Somehow I don't think that the Klingons will fold their tents and withdraw so easily merely because their culture has been treated with contempt...

On a more serious note, I would still be interested to hear thoughts as to WHY the threads on Esperanto seem to engender such emotion when most discussions on other languages don't. I truly don't think it's a matter of English speakers feeling threatened by the juggernaut of Esperanto.

But the idea that the Esperanto "movement" is a sort of self-congratulatory social club with presumptions of moral superiority, which various contributors have alluded to, is supported by some of the above comments as well, e.g., the suggestion that skeptics of Esperanto are "close-minded", and that Esperantists "tend to think for themselves". (As an aside, the idea that "leftists" are balanced by "libertarians and anarchists" may partially explain the language's lack of traction in the broader world outside of language hobbyists.)

In any event, I wish the new Esperanto forum, and its participants, success.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6966 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 40 of 78
15 April 2010 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Chung wrote:
Sprachprofi wrote:

As much as I have sparred with you in the past, Sprachprofi, it would be a shame if
you'd leave. You do offer valuable stuff about languages other than Esperanto. I'm just
sayin'...

There's nothing I enjoy so much as a good spar here and there, and you're a good
opponent for whom I have a lot of respect. Yet I'm tired of this forum's thrashings
whenever Esperanto is brought up, and I'm not ready to censor myself to only talk about my other languages.

Thank you. It's kind of you to say that.

To use the clichéd expression: "Why can't we all just get along?" *sigh*.

This discussion contains 78 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version