616 posts - 725 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 10 of 78
14 April 2010 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
furrykef wrote:
Johntm wrote:
A language that can be learned in 3 months is not an "intellectual challenge,"

Ouch. I imagine you don't mean to be inflammatory, but this comment could be seen that way. My own opinion is that learning any language (so long as it's not extremely similar to your own) is a challenge. It's not as much of a challenge as natural languages are, and it's not a difficult feat, but it's a heck of a lot more demanding than, say, a video game.

Also, I doubt one can become fully proficient in Esperanto in three months. Fluent, sure, but their speech will probably still be overly reliant on paraphrase and such -- they may be understood, but their speech will be less elegant than it could be.

- Kef

I would agree that learning a language is an intellectual challenge, but if you're just talking about languages themselves then Esperanto is far from an intellectual challenge.
And I'm not exactly sure on the three months thing, that's just what I've heard from a lot of Esperantists, and I think I've seen that estimate on this forum.
mrhenrik wrote:
To be frank the almost religious zealousness of some Esperantists can also get somewhat
tiring. Of course I respect the language and it's culture, whatever it's culture might
be, but I can't help but marvel at the missionary-like style of advertising the language.
I know it's with the best intentions, and Esperanto might be the best thing since sliced
bread, I'm just saying it might be expected to get a few snappy replies when you post a
thread professing the language's general awesomeness - just like you'd get with any other
language.

That's one reason I'm getting turned off to Esperanto.
2 persons have voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5649 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 11 of 78
14 April 2010 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
With the possible exception of MrHenrik, it seems that everyone else who appears somehow provoked by Esperanto in this and other threads, are native English speakers.
While the people who are positive as a rule are continental Europeans.

How do you explain that?

1 person has voted this message useful

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5214 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 12 of 78
15 April 2010 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
I'm not positive about Esperanto and I'm a Continental European. But I must be in the minority (of those people who know about Esperanto, not people in general).

robsolete
Diglot
United States
Joined 5196 days ago

191 posts - 428 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 13 of 78
15 April 2010 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
I have no problem with Esperanto in concept, just in form.

If you want to make a language for the whole world, it's pretty short-sighted to just make a language that sounds like simplified Italian and push it in the Latin script, with an entirely Eurocentric group of phonemes. For its time it was an admirable effort.

But Esperanto is not a world language--it is a Eurocentric language with a very smart and simple design. And I think this rings true in that, as Cordelia mentioned, most speakers of it--from what I can tell--seem to be continental Europeans. Some folks from Asia, Africa, and the Americas may pick it up, but only if they're true language nerds (which implies a certain amount of economic privileges and education).

A true world language can't have a Eurocentric bias, which is why I think Esperanto, while an interesting track of linguistic history, is not going to take the world by storm.

I think what irritates many is that this Eurocentric bias is sort of swept under the rug as Esperantists push the image of us all singing Esperanto Kum-Ba-Yas around an international bonfire.

If people were seriously interested in an international language, I think that something like Lojban (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lojban) is the best direction to move in: its vocabulary base is evenly influenced by English, Mandarin, Spanish, Arabic, Hindi, and Russian. It is unfortunately only written in Latin or Cyrillic script, which I would personally like to see replaced with an innovative new script that borrows from several script traditions but is easily reproduced.

THEN we would truly have the start of an international handshake, because nobody would have a significant leg up on anyone else in learning the language, as Europeans currently have with Esperanto.

But what, you say, Lojban isn't popular enough, right? There's no base of speakers worth mentioning, and there's no real literary tradition, right? It's just some exercise made up by a small group of scholars and has no chance of making it, right?

Well, that's how most people feel about Esperanto.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5378 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 15 of 78
15 April 2010 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
robsolete wrote:
I have no problem with Esperanto in concept, just in form.

If you want to make a language for the whole world, it's pretty short-sighted to just make a language that sounds like simplified Italian and push it in the Latin script, with an entirely Eurocentric group of phonemes. For its time it was an admirable effort.

But Esperanto is not a world language--it is a Eurocentric language with a very smart and simple design. And I think this rings true in that, as Cordelia mentioned, most speakers of it--from what I can tell--seem to be continental Europeans. Some folks from Asia, Africa, and the Americas may pick it up, but only if they're true language nerds (which implies a certain amount of economic privileges and education).

A true world language can't have a Eurocentric bias, which is why I think Esperanto, while an interesting track of linguistic history, is not going to take the world by storm.

I think what irritates many is that this Eurocentric bias is sort of swept under the rug as Esperantists push the image of us all singing Esperanto Kum-Ba-Yas around an international bonfire.

If people were seriously interested in an international language, I think that something like Lojban (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lojban) is the best direction to move in: its vocabulary base is evenly influenced by English, Mandarin, Spanish, Arabic, Hindi, and Russian. It is unfortunately only written in Latin or Cyrillic script, which I would personally like to see replaced with an innovative new script that borrows from several script traditions but is easily reproduced.

THEN we would truly have the start of an international handshake, because nobody would have a significant leg up on anyone else in learning the language, as Europeans currently have with Esperanto.

But what, you say, Lojban isn't popular enough, right? There's no base of speakers worth mentioning, and there's no real literary tradition, right? It's just some exercise made up by a small group of scholars and has no chance of making it, right?

Well, that's how most people feel about Esperanto.

I definitely understand your sentiment, and I have similar concerns. I'm not saying Esperanto is a perfect language, or that it lacks a certain Eurocentric bias, or even that it necessarily should be the world's lingua franca. My reasons for enjoying the language are purely pragmatic. It is the only language of its kind that's actually spoken by a significant number of people, and has a culture behind it.

I've put some thought into how I would construct a lingua franca, and I think I would definitely make something less Eurocentric. I would base the vocabulary on the twelve languages with 100 million+ speakers (Mandarin, English, Hindi-Urdu, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, Bengali, Portuguese, Malay-Indonesian, German, French, Japanese), make the grammar much more analytic, simplify the phonology and get rid of the consonant clusters that present difficulties (the word scii, pronounced 'stsee-ee' and meaning 'to know', was a big mistake). I would also make the pronouns more distinct; it's hard to tell mi 'I' from ni 'we', and it doesn't help that the other personal pronouns are vi, li, ŝi, ĝi, ili. There are a lot of aspects about Esperanto that could be improved and which make the language sub-optimal for use as a lingua franca. And Lojban too for that matter; I just don't see it catching on with its strange, non-intuitive grammar, and I would prefer something that more resembles the grammar of creole languages.

I apologize if I came off as preachy in the original post. Rereading it, I can definitely see how one could get that impression. My point is that Esperanto is a great language to learn because of the great people who speak it. If that sounds "elitist", then so be it, I don't care. My experience has validated time and time again that Esperantists really are a very intelligent, friendly bunch of people on the whole, and it makes sense when you consider the sort of person who would decide to learn the language. I have gotten a lot of utility out of it, finding likable people all over the world who are interested in languages like I am, and who often speak the languages I am studying, and I don't really see the problem with encouraging others to share in this incredibly rewarding experience. If you don't want to, don't.

As regards my comment about Esperantists being the sort of people who enjoy an intellectual challenge, I meant that in the sense that furrykef clarified:
furrykef wrote:
My own opinion is that learning any language (so long as it's not extremely similar to your own) is a challenge. It's not as much of a challenge as natural languages are, and it's not a difficult feat, but it's a heck of a lot more demanding than, say, a video game.

Edited by Levi on 15 April 2010 at 1:50am

mrhenrik
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5890 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, French
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 78
15 April 2010 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
With the possible exception of MrHenrik, it seems that everyone
else who appears somehow provoked by Esperanto in this and other threads, are
native English speakers.
While the people who are positive as a rule are continental Europeans.

How do you explain that?

The problem here is that you see things in black and white only, but there's so much
more to it. Drawing the conclusion that English natives hates Esperanto based on a
couple of threads here seems a bit peculiar. For starters, I'm not really negative
towards Esperanto - I just don't really get the point. Europeans will know English
through culture and if you're not European you'll have more of a reason to learn
English seeing as Esperanto won't give you much of an advantage anyhow. I'm not
negative, I'm just not very.. positive.

If it counts for anything, I started learning Esperanto myself a couple of years back
but I kind of lost motivation with the whole pointlessness of it all. If it did become
a lingua franca I wouldn't mind of course.

I know you're very keen on latching out on English and it's stance in society - in my
opinion English has spiralled out of control now as a part of the natural evolution of
the language world, no point in fighting the currents. Of course, the fact that I love
the language does help me personally.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 78 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version