32 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
sammiad
United Kingdom
Joined 5219 days ago

26 posts - 28 votes
Studies: English*, Spanish, Japanese

Message 25 of 32
05 February 2010 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
I don't think im doing enough of L-R for it to help, but what kindof worked for me was listening and reading (L2) ,becuase its easier to get a feel for it. Also using Express Scribe slow the speed down to 95% makes it a little clearer also.

Earlier today while using smart.fm i found a way to turn up the volume so that helped and also found/tried iknow and brainspeed (i think thats what its called).
I quite like using smart.fm but find that my memory going from the English word into japanese tricky, and when you guess wrong it often repeats the kanji more than the kana. But I think it just throughs all the info at you and lets you find your own way, because im not sure if there is a system or order (although north, south and west just came together).

I've got a friend who either says he is bored or wants to do something and would quite like to study Italian, i know the languages arnt similar but i wondered if anyone know how we could help each other. Like if there are drills exercises or anything....? I'm not sure if ill be able to learn two languages at the same time but maybe a little whlie he is learning would be possible becuase then he could learn it and figure it to teach me.

Anki/RTK
another 10 or so done.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sammiad
United Kingdom
Joined 5219 days ago

26 posts - 28 votes

Message 26 of 32
08 February 2010 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
rosetta stone
about to start cd 2 unit 4

i found another japanese learning app. dictionary thing, called tagaini jisho. apparently it has a study option so you can do flashcards and different study options with it. Also it has stroke order compounds components and much more. homophones
Well worth a look because i recon it could be really helpful, it even has vocab field on things like onomatapoeic/mimetic words and idiomatic expressions.

http://www.tagaini.net/quickstart

so i spent my morning just looking at it and going through options... unfortunatelty ive not started using it yet but hopefully if/when im reading and come across something ill find it and enter it.
1 person has voted this message useful

sammiad
United Kingdom
Joined 5219 days ago

26 posts - 28 votes

Message 27 of 32
16 February 2010 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
I got Assimil Japanese with Ease vol.1 and have already listened and repeated a couple of the lessons. There wasnt really any instructions in it other than how to read and pronounce the letters, and i guess volume 2 is the active phase so i'm just reading/listening and getting used to the book lay out.....

Has anyone got any experiance with watching in L2 and reading subs L2 ?

sammiad
United Kingdom
Joined 5219 days ago

26 posts - 28 votes

Message 28 of 32
03 March 2010 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
Still working through Assimil.

Looked at more RTK but didnt unsuspend them in anki so its been abut a week and i dont think i can remember them.

I think im in a little same-ness slump.

oh i forgot to mention i havent been on smart.fm in ages or attempted any L-R, due to finding the rate of vocab extreme and well just basic confusion repectively

Edited by sammiad on 03 March 2010 at 12:16am

sammiad
United Kingdom
Joined 5219 days ago

26 posts - 28 votes

Message 29 of 32
07 March 2010 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
I dont know wether it was my mood or the subject/difficulty of certain lessons of Assimil but one of the ones this week was tough.
I read and listen, shadow read literal and go through the questions several times and repeat later and throughout the day. I dont try to memorize passages words just the gist of whats going on. The first practise' is fairly understandable becuase it uses words the same as already seen, and or i can guess from reading. But the 2nd completely throws me. I think its just repetition again, blitz it a couple of times and the words/pattern will stick, so im not too disheartened about them either. Its the passive phase after all.

I try to watch one Lets learn basic japanese (yan and the japanese people) a day also. Its good hearing stuff i kindof know done normal speed sound et. Its good fun watching it also so at the moment its going over stuff i know but its not a problem.

This monday ill open RTK and do another bunch, my consistency with that book is bad.... last bunch was the husband based ones. just need power and go based ones and ive finished lesson 25. I dont think im in a hurry to finish the book, get it out of the way, or avoid it. Just get through it as if i already know it.

I tried to write out some Assimil as a bit of scripting and it didnt feel natural. I suppose i have a little problem writting kana and another problem fitting kanji on the lines too but they combine and make the sentance unfimiliar to the sentance printed in the book. Ive thought about trying it in clear romanji (but my writing is terrible anyway) and im not sure if itll work when typing it. But sometimes i think if i could do something else adding to the learning ill make better progress. kind of plait the stuff together.

sammiad
United Kingdom
Joined 5219 days ago

26 posts - 28 votes

Message 30 of 32
16 March 2010 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
I'm getting near the end assimil passive and starting to get a little nervous about the active phase..... it could be excitement but i doubt it. Just going over lesson 43, as i listened and read japanese only and realised although i recognised it i didnt actually know what it was in English.

I've also started looking through another book, "Conversational Japanese" it was going fine til it came to something i've not previously met, probable present and future.

きょうはあめがふるでしょうか。
あめがふるないだろう。

do you think it will rain today?
i dont think it will rain.

(I converted it to kana, as the book is written romanji.)

Because i like the setup of the book, i think it could be helpful as at the start of the lesson it includes a small vocab list and a new conjugation (currently probable). Then 30 sentences in japanese with English tranlations below. So small steps with a decent amount examples, but im worried that i could be learning outdated or incorrect forms. I dont know if this possible for tenses/forms like it is with words ( densha electric car, kuruma a rikisha)
If anyone could ease my mind it'll be a huge help. thanks

sammiad
United Kingdom
Joined 5219 days ago

26 posts - 28 votes

Message 31 of 32
25 March 2010 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
Rosetta Stone
cd 3 unit 2

RTK
the wheats ...私秋

Pimsleur

Also just started the active phase of Assimil, and currently have every track on my ipod so i can move forwards and backwards with writing the japanese from the word for word English tranlation.

I've also thought more about Spanish and or latin, but the thrill of starting a new thing is against time pulled away from japanese.

sammiad
United Kingdom
Joined 5219 days ago

26 posts - 28 votes

Message 32 of 32
13 April 2010 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
Japanese with Ease
lesson 61 (passive 12)
The exercises of the higher lessons are confusing me, and sometimes i cant even propperly decypher the answers back to the question.
But im trying not to stress over it by focusing on the passive side, a very unlike me approach of itll all work out in the end.

RTK
moved on from wheat to rice... next bamboo!

IKnow!
ive managed to pick up my vocab again though. using Iknow aswell as the beta drill. im only through 60% of the first step of core 2000 and currently recognising most of them but not outloud without the kanji.But with the preview of the 10 thats coming i listen and see if i remember the kanji (and the pic clue) so it makes it easier. possibly cheating a little but it could be what its there for, atleast i feel like im doing more and moving forward.
i think ill go do another couple of batches now.

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version