Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 93 ... 105 106 Next >>
Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5912 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 737 of 844
09 January 2014 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Japanese. we are on the same TAC team this year ^^
(maybe I should have said something about that earlier
instead of just invading your log, sorry. :X)
aww, that would be lovely if you could do that. thank you :)
1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5445 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 738 of 844
09 January 2014 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
Ah, I didn't see that. I usually wait until February/March before I start actively
reading team members' logs because by that time, a good chunk of the members drop out
because life becomes too busy (I had to drop out of the 2013 TAC because of that), so I
didn't recognize your name right off the bat.

For the example, I'm using this paragraph (and I hope the forum doesn't mess up any of
the characters):

幼少期から戦場で生き抜いてきたため、人を 殺した数は軽く3桁を超え息をするように人 殺せる。命乞いする捕虜を射殺した経験
や、背中を見せ泣いて逃げる敵兵を殺した経 験もなどあり、作中で目的のために非人道的 行動を取る事も少なくない。

Now, I'll end up making 16 cloze deletions over 8 cards that I put in. (I'll still have
16 reviews, I'll get to that in a second.)

For the first two cloze deleltions, they'll look like this.

Card 1:

幼少期から戦場で[...] きたため、人を殺した数は軽く3桁を超え息 するように人を殺せる。命乞いする捕虜を 殺した経験や、
背中を見せ泣いて逃げる敵兵を殺した経験も などあり、作中で目的のために非人道的行動 を取る事も少なくない。

Then when I click to see the answer, the word will show up in blue. In the extra box,
the definitions will be there.

生き抜く (いきぬく) - to live through; to survive
軽い (かるい) - light (i.e. not heavy); feeling light (i.e. offering little resistance,
moving easily); light (i.e. of foot); nimble; agile; non-serious; minor; unimportant;
trivial; slight; small; gentle; soft; easy; simple; indiscriminate

Second deletion from this card will cloze out "軽く", which you can see its definition
under "生き抜く" just above.

The reasons I only do two cloze deletions per card are simple: the first one is to keep
the extra field from being way too long. I just keep it to two definitions for brevity.
The other reason has to do with the scheduling mechanism in Anki. Related cards get
buried until the next day, so when I review this particular card, I'll learn the first
cloze deletion the first day and the second one the next day when I review. If I did 3-
4 cloze deletions per card, it will be three days before I see every word for the first
time, which kind of defeats the point since I am using this for intensive reading.

I repeat this until I have made cloze deletions with every unknown word/every unknown
word I feel like learning at the moment in the paragraph. I'm assuming that this will
be slow for the short term but will help tremendously over the long term, so I do plan
on throwing in some extensive reading in there to solidify what I'm learning. I do
watch about 3-5 hours of dramas total between the three languages everyday (the joys of
being an undergrad/being a graduate while job searching), so I do hear a lot these
words in other contexts.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Hasi
Diglot
Austria
Joined 5912 days ago

120 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 739 of 844
11 January 2014 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
I am terribly sorry for the super late reply.
Thank you very much for taking the time and explaining
your studying method in more detail. After reading
this explaination I want to try it out myself even more.

Thank you :)

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5445 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 740 of 844
05 February 2014 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
I didn't realize that it had been so long since I updated. I've just been focused on
actually studying instead of reading posts about other people studying haha.

Since my last post, I have changed things up a little bit. I was experimenting with FSI
(I have the German courses downloaded) and was just messing around with the first
chapter, but I found the drills really helped, and going through them even more made
things more automatic. I didn't continue since I have enough on my plate as is, but
when I do learn German in the future, I will definitely use FSI.

So, with that, I started doing the same with my other languages. I started writing and
reading out loud the example sentences in my grammar books multiple times and then
moving on to the next point. I plan to do this throughout the whole year. First, I'll
go through the books so that I'm familiar with all of the grammar points, and then the
subsequent reviews will hone in on the points I'm struggling on. After that, I plan to
keep going through certain points until I can use them easily. For example, if there's
a grammar point I can understand while reading/listening but can't produce (easily),
I'll drill the example sentences in my head and then focus on creating my own
sentences. I have found out that personally, unless I can understand the structure
well, I can't produce it. I was trying to produce sentences in Chinese without
understanding the structure that well, which made it hard for me to produce a sentence
using certain structures days later.

For vocab, I noticed that with Anki, it really helps with short term memory, but it
doesn't help me with long term memory. I would always start forgetting certain words
after a couple of weeks and would get frustrated. So, to work around that, I went back
to paper flashcards, reviewing the cards until I got them all right. Of course, I would
only go over the cards that I got wrong again instead of torturing myself going through
the whole deck. For now, I have the cards in bundles of 100 waiting to be reviewed in
the future, but no planned date. I have a feeling that I'll remember 1/3 to 1/2 half of
them through extensive exposure (TV, reading), and that when I review the cards in the
future, I'll have to work on remembering the remaining 1/2 to 2/3. However, that's fine
with me, as through experimenting with several vocabulary learning methods, I think I
found something that will work for myself. It essentially combines mass repetition and
intensive reading, and then since I don't believe I have any control of what goes into
long term memory, I don't even worry about it.

For output, I stopped tweeting everyday because one of my non-language goals is to use
SNS less this year. I barely use Facebook anymore, but Twitter is still a bad addiction
of mine. I'll probably find something to do in the second half of the year to work on
output as I should be much more prepared to start using the language (especially
Japanese and Chinese, as I can use Korean, but with difficulty, right now).

Now, reports on individual languages.

Chinese

I'm focusing on Chinese for the 6 Week Challenge. So I am watching more Taiwanese
dramas and focusing on intensively reading song lyrics from my favorite Taiwanese
singers. I have already learned 90-100% of the words in about 15 Taiwanese songs by
now, so I would like to keep that up. I'm getting closer to the point where it takes
less effort to learn words, but it's still not as easy as Japanese, and nowhere as easy
as Korean. The grammar is slowly getting easier for me to get used to, as I'm so used
to Korean and Japanese grammar. I'm focusing on certain topics in my grammar book (like
conjuctions, modal verbs, dummy verbs, etc.) that are within my grasp right now,
skipping things like the passive and "ba" constructions for now. Though its seems like
the "ba" construction should be easy for me since it turns the sentence into SOV, which
I'm more used to. I'm skipping hanzi for now as getting used to the grammar and vocab
is enough work, though I'm familiar enough with hanzi because of my Japanese studies.

Japanese

Japanese was my focus in January, as I finished about 5 Japanese dramas (they are short
compared to Korean and Taiwanese dramas) and learned a lot of words. Learning words has
become easier the more I learn, and I would like to keep up the work after the 6WC
ends. I do need to focus more on grammar as it isn't as easy for me to use certain
structures.

Korean

I have made decent progress in Korean, learning a lot of words and honing in on some
grammar points that I need to work on. I have translated quite a few articles and that
is getting easier as well. For now, it only takes me about 20 minutes a day to learn
about 20-30 words, but with my focus on Chinese and Japanese, I probably will only
learn a couple thousand words this year.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4643 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 741 of 844
07 February 2014 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
For vocab, I noticed that with Anki, it really helps with short term memory, but it
doesn't help me with long term memory. I would always start forgetting certain words
after a couple of weeks and would get frustrated.

How about deleting cards after a while? I haven't done it lately, but for a while I was deleting all cards with intervals of six months or more. Basically, when I did a card and showed the answer, I looked at the button that I was about to press. If it said that the next time the card would come up would be in six months or more, I would go ahead and delete it on the spot. I started doing that to reduce the number of cards I had to do every day, but I found that I didn't have to worry about those pesky cards that I remembered quite well in the first few weeks, but didn't remember after half a year or more.

The way I figured it, if I could remember a card after six months, it was in my long-term memory to stay. If not, it was never meant to be (so to speak... not really never never, but if it came up again in the future, I'd just add another card and try it again).

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5445 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 742 of 844
11 February 2014 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
The Real CZ wrote:
For vocab, I noticed that with Anki, it
really helps with short term memory, but it
after a couple of weeks and would get frustrated.

How about deleting cards after a while? I haven't done it lately, but for a while I
was deleting all cards with intervals of six months or more. Basically, when I did a
card and showed the answer, I looked at the button that I was about to press. If it
said that the next time the card would come up would be in six months or more, I would
go ahead and delete it on the spot. I started doing that to reduce the number of cards
I had to do every day, but I found that I didn't have to worry about those pesky cards
that I remembered quite well in the first few weeks, but didn't remember after half a
year or more.

The way I figured it, if I could remember a card after six months, it was in my long-
term memory to stay. If not, it was never meant to be (so to speak... not really
never never, but if it came up again in the future, I'd just add another card
and try it again).

The problem I have with Anki is that it's too efficient, if you understand what I'm
trying to say after this. Sure, Anki has scheduling that's supposed to help you so that
you study something at the right time, however, that makes me want to study less. I
can't have rigid schedules when I study, thus Anki makes everything worse for me
because I'm studying according to a pre-determined schedule. I have to go with the
flow, and my studying schedule all of my life has been very flexible.

---

I started studying Hanzi again, and instead of trying to memorize them like I would
vocabulary cards, I'm simply learning the mnemonics for the character as I write each
character out a few times. I was reading one of my Full Metal Panic light novels and
realized that I remembered quite a bit of kanji without specifically trying to learn
the meanings. I think the mnemonics, mechanical memory through writing, and lots of
exposure will help me learn the characters in a much easier manner. Sure, it's less
efficient, but like I wrote about, trying to be 100% efficient when it comes to
studying just isn't my style.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5445 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 743 of 844
18 February 2014 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
@Warp

I saw your tweet, but Twitter is too short to explain my answer. First, you have to
remember that Japanese has "on" and "kun" reading. "Kun" is the native Japanese
word/reading, while the "on" is the Chinese reading. In your 車 example, comparing the
"on" reading to the Korean and Mandarin readings.

Japanese "on" reading: sha
Mandarin reading: che1
Korean reading: cha

Most readings will be very similar, but different enough where I don't get them mixed up.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4664 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 744 of 844
18 February 2014 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
Regarding this Kanji/Hanja/Hanzi, do you find that studying all three languages helps you with vocabulary acquisition a lot? How much does knowing Korean well help with Mandarin?

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version