Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24 ... 105 106 Next >>
The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5444 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 185 of 844
12 July 2010 at 4:29am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I really like Strong Heart, but I can't bring myself to watch it every week unless someone I like is on there (and actually gets to talk.) You can always ignore the subs. It takes a while to get used to, but after watching several shows like that, your eyes hardly wander. (I'm stuck with this problem when I watched streamed dramas and some anime on DVD.)

--

Today, mainly a Korean day. I've watched 4-5 hours of Korean TV, and a new show called Running Man. Yoo Jae Suk is the main MC, it has some other funny guys (like HaHa,) and the two guests were Lee Hyori and Hwang Jung Eum, so I had to watch it. Kind of long (90 mins) but it didn't feel 90 minutes long.

--

I made myself a bet. Finish RTK1 by Saturday night. I'm tired of looking at it. Sure I'll have to learn 200 kanji a day, but no way in hell will I put 200 a day in the SRS.
1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5444 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 186 of 844
14 July 2010 at 6:11am | IP Logged 
Yeah. Spent most of the past 2 days watching High Kick Through The Roof. Totally worth it. Listening is my second worst skill anyway.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5444 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 187 of 844
20 July 2010 at 5:58am | IP Logged 
Back on track now. Last week was mainly watching High Kick Through The Roof. This week I'm gonna be a SRS whore for both languages, work on speaking in Korean, and work on kanji in Japanese.

Today, I also finished Tablo's Pieces of You, and I moved onto The Vineyard Man. I never watched the drama, but the synopsis seemed good, so I bought it (a long time ago.)

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5444 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 188 of 844
22 July 2010 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
I've been reading a lot in Korean this week, so I changed my focuses to reading and vocab. I've been adding a lot to the SRS lately (added 40+ cards today.) Some of it is vocab from the books I've read/am reading, and the other vocab is coming from song lyrics. Rap music is a goldmine for lyrics (and it helps learning what they're rapping about.) Though, I decided not to put lyrics in and found an example sentence for each word.

For Japanese, I've hardly put a dent in kanji (can easily be changed) and starting to add more vocab to the SRS. It's harder for me in Japanese, mainly because of level, but also remembering the readings. Glad I don't have this problem in Korean. Also found some m-flo lyrics and added some of the vocab from the songs into the SRS.

Oh, Warp (since I know you'll read this eventually), check out Running Man and Heroes (both on SBS.) Running Man is a variety that has some funny people (it's a contest variety show) and Heroes is a female celebrity show. Can't really tell you what it's about since only one episode has aired and half was the the cast meeting each other, but the preview for episode two looked good.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5330 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 189 of 844
23 July 2010 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
I'd heard about "Heroes" through Karaholic (since Nicole is one of the cast members), but haven't seen it yet. I was aware there was a show called "Running Man," but didn't really know anything about it beyond that.

Speaking of Korean TV, I finished the final 2 episodes of "Kara Bakery" last night. Overall that show was rather...disappointing, to be honest. I did like the fact that all the dialog was captioned on-screen in Korean (which, when paired with the English subbed versions, has great potential for language learning), but the problem is that I didn't really find it interesting enough to re-watch it (even though the whole series is only about 4 hrs long). The show had several funny scenes in it (mostly in the later episodes), but overall it just wasn't as interesting as I'd hoped.

I've also watched one episode each of "2 Days 1 Night" and "Qualifications of Men" recently, but haven't yet decided whether I like them or not (though I'm leaning toward "not" for both at the moment). I almost hope I don't like them since I already have a bit of a backlog of Korean TV to watch as it is.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5444 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 190 of 844
24 July 2010 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
Most shows about idols are average to above average. I don't necessarily watch them for the quality...I watch them for the girls (and the funny dudes.) I've tried to like 1 Night 2 Days because I like the cast, but I only watch once in a while. But man, good Sunday variety shows are plentiful as it is (SBS has me watching 3 new variety shows: HaHaMong Show, Running Man, and Heroes.)

--

Today, besides being a download day (a Korean friend linked me to a Korean torrent site that has manhwa, novels, and just about everything else that is media), I started something a bit different. In regards to reading, I've shared the same philosophy as I do with everything else: learn the stuff that's the most common. See a word 2+ times? Write it down and look it up and put a sentence containing that word in the SRS. See a grammar structure that keeps on making you say "I know I f**king learned it, but I can never remember it!" Then go look it up and remember it.

Well, I started reading the Fullmetal Alchemist manga and a Korean book that I downloaded (I think they're web books) and wrote down every word I don't know. Well, it just makes me more sad that I still need to write down so many words, but hey, what are you gonna do? So, I'll be doing both types of reading with different books/comics and hopefully they both help.

Yeah, kanji....me and you are going to have a two day date this weekend (the other thing in Japanese I planned on focusing on.) Still deciding what I'm gonna focus on next week.

Well, off to watch The Good Day When The Wind Blows episode 63 (man, I'm 60 episodes behind. I remember when I was happy being 20 behind.) But hey, I watched 80 or so episodes of High Kick Through The Roof in two weeks (avg ep is 23 mins.)

Edited by The Real CZ on 24 July 2010 at 4:55am

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5444 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 191 of 844
25 July 2010 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
The extreme heat took out any will to do anything, so I didn't do much. Looking at my goals, I decided to make Japanese my priority for the next month in order to reach them on time. I won't be spending less time on Korean, it just means I'll actually be spending time on Japanese. >.> I like it, but kanji pisses me off. Yeah, Japanese is harder to read without it, but I just gotta man up and learn the kanji already. I also need to learn a shitload of vocab, because my listening in Japanese has fallen behind my listening in Korean (picking up what's said and comprehension.)

--

BoA - Game MV

Finally! BoA singing in Korean again. I like the song. Can't wait until she reveals the title track.

Edited by The Real CZ on 25 July 2010 at 5:11am

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5330 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 192 of 844
25 July 2010 at 7:48am | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
Most shows about idols are average to above average. I don't necessarily watch them for the quality...I watch them for the girls (and the funny dudes.)

True, most idol shows aren't really that great on their own (kinda like their US equivalents), but Kara Bakery still seemed to fall a bit short compared to the other idol-based shows I've been watching (like IY and Hello Baby).

The Real CZ wrote:
I've tried to like 1 Night 2 Days because I like the cast, but I only watch once in a while.

Yeah, I actually decided this evening to stop watching 1N2D and QoM as they just aren't interesting enough to be worth spending time on them.

The Real CZ wrote:
But man, good Sunday variety shows are plentiful as it is (SBS has me watching 3 new variety shows: HaHaMong Show, Running Man, and Heroes.)

I do have an unsubbed video of the HaHaMong show (the episode where they visit Kara's new dorm), but I haven't had the chance to watch it yet.

The Real CZ wrote:
In regards to reading, I've shared the same philosophy as I do with everything else: learn the stuff that's the most common.

That's pretty much how I've been attacking my Hanja studies. Originally, I was just adding one whenever it caught my attention. However, most of the recent ones I've added I got from a thread I found on an expat forum about the most useful Hanja characters: http://www.expatkorea.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=92742dc9d6b02 1ea66ed7acd0af5881c&t=15487

On a related note...Friday I added the Hanja for left (左) and right (右) to my SRS. That evening I was rewatching an old SGB episode and imagine my surprise when suddenly both of them appear on screen.

That reminds me: I also bought "A Guide to Korean Characters" recently. It is sorted by stroke count (all the way up to 26 strokes...wow), which should be good for learning them all since you'll learn the radicals before the composite characters. For now, though, I'm sticking with learning the common ones first and using this as a reference book instead. (AGtCK covers the 1800 school-taught Hanja which is my eventual end goal anyway.)

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version