Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

CZ’s TAC 15 CHN/JPN/KOR

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
844 messages over 106 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27 ... 105 106 Next >>
The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5445 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 209 of 844
09 August 2010 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
I can distinguish all the sounds of Korean (all the drama/variety show watching and listening to music really helped.) Producing them is another story. I'll get some mixed up, just like I do in English, but I can distinguish the sounds when I'm listening.

For 석 and 넉, they're usually followed by another consonant. EX:

난 그녀를 석 달 동안 좋아했어.

But then again, I see 세 달 more than 석 달.

1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5445 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 210 of 844
11 August 2010 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
This week is a focus on listening and speaking. Mainly "listening" as I'm trying to watch as much stuff before Monday when school starts. 15 credit hours, and I expect Comp II to be the only class I actually I have to spend any outside time on, but good thing Tuesday and Thursday I'm at school 8-7 with a bunch of free time between classes (going to two different schools gives you a bad schedule.) So, I'm should get all my work done on those days and can spend the rest of the days doing normal stuff.

Oh, Kara's Mister is doing well in Japan. Allkpop and Tokyohive (sister sites) have had quite a few articles about Kara and them being on Japanese TV. They actually changed the music just a bit (sounds like it has more brass instruments in it) and they kept some Korean in the lyrics due to Japanese having words twice as long as Korean (that's what I'm assuming.) Their EP debuted #5 on Oricon (Japan is dominated by male idol groups) and their music video is #1 on Japan's iTunes.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5445 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 211 of 844
15 August 2010 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
Lately I've been using Lang 8 a lot more for Japanese (for Korean, I have a friend who I exchange emails with frequently,) and I'm finding out I really need some work on it. Getting a good passive knowledge in Japanese will be easier for me, because in some SRS cards for grammar points, I sometimes put the Korean equivalent. The active use is harder, and that's coupled with my low vocab. I'll be beefing that up a lot in the coming months anyways.

내 여자친구는 구미호를 보기 시작해서 벌써 사랑해요. It's another 홍 sisters drama, and they've written a few of my favorite K dramas. Also finished two Japanese dramas in the past two days. Starting to like the J dramas more and more.

One of these days (maybe tomorrow) I gotta start putting all the corrected sentences into my SRS decks. It seems day by day that Korean gets a little easier to use, so I need to ramp up the amount of writing and grammar study (basically putting sentences into the SRS) that I do.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5331 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 212 of 844
15 August 2010 at 7:11am | IP Logged 
The Real CZ wrote:
Getting a good passive knowledge in Japanese will be easier for me, because in some SRS cards for grammar points, I sometimes put the Korean equivalent.

That's one of the big advantages of having access to knowledge of multiple languages. I've found a few examples where it was easier to link a Korean language feature or word meaning to Spanish than it was to English. I can only imagine how much more true that is of languages like Japanese and Korean, given their grammar similarities.
2 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5445 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 213 of 844
15 August 2010 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, it makes it a hell of a lot easier. I remember being frustrated learning some grammar structures in Korean, because no matter how many times I saw some of them, I wouldn't understand it until a couple of week later when I tried studying them again. With Japanese, it's like "okay, got it, put it in the SRS and move on."

Today is my last day of summer vacation, so I'm obviously bummed about that. I also decided to stop the reading where I try to learn every unknown word, mainly because that has deterred me from reading those books/comics.

Gonna watch some more Korean and Japanese TV, put some more stuff in the SRS, and start waiting until December.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5445 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 214 of 844
18 August 2010 at 4:17am | IP Logged 
Man, I wish I had classes where it was just exams. I'm very good at remembering stupid facts, but noooo....the classes require homework. Anyway, in between classes (yeah, sucks, I know, got hours in between classes) I was able to read in both languages and around 20 new kanji. I was surprised I finished all my SRS reviews this morning before I left for school (it was in the 250-300 range for my 3 decks.) I only added about ten cards in my Japanese and Korean decks (all grammar cards.) Tomorrow is a day off, so gonna use that time to read a lot of my textbooks in advance and actually get in some good time with the languages.
2 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5445 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 

Message 215 of 844
20 August 2010 at 5:02am | IP Logged 
Since I have a lot of time between classes and because it's the first week, I got some reading and kanji study done at school. I watched an episode of Nobuta wo Produce, an episode of Unstoppable High Kick, and found a few T-ara articles on Naver and looked up every unknown word, found a sentence, and added 60-65 cards in about two hours. I had to look up Korean definitions for some, and for others where the Korean definition made no sense to me, I just skipped them.

Edit: Man, 2010 has been great for K dramas and Kpop. This month: BoA, Se7en, Secret, Kara (in Japan.) Next Month: Kara, 2NE1, SNSD (in Japan), Outsider, Wheesung (I think.) October: T-ARA (<---most excited for.)

Edited by The Real CZ on 20 August 2010 at 5:04am

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5331 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 216 of 844
20 August 2010 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Yay...KARA comeback. In a way it's kind of lucky for you studying Japanese as well since you can use their Japanese debut material to learn with as well. For me it would be a waste of time that I could better spend on Korean or Spanish.

As for me, I've been mostly watching shows lately (and continuing with the LSK videos and some Hanja here and there). I've recently started watching "Strong Heart" subbed (which is much more entertaining than it was unsubbed), "Family Outing" subbed (I'm really starting to like this show), and "Heroes" UNsubbed (stopping and translating on-screen text here and there helps a lot with context, but it's still annoying not knowing exactly what is going on...{sigh}).

I also tried using LingQ some the other day and did learn some things, but not having an English translation (just a dictionary/hint lookup system) seems like a bit of a downside. You can get the English text for the "Who is she?" dialogs by switching to the English lessons, but that won't work for most of the other content. I need to go ahead and dive into a bilingual book instead, which I think will be more effective. (Most likely I'll start with "The Little Prince" since I have English, Korean, and Spanish versions of it.)

This discussion contains 844 messages over 106 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version