Diglot
Australia
Joined 6506 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 41 of 57
11 June 2009 at 6:25am | IP Logged 
Oh and I have certainly suffered from "interlingual interference" too.

I remember being in the local supermarket here and I was looking for certain vegetable. Now, I'm not a big cook, but my good Hungarian friend had taught me a few recipes (I actually think it's her goal to make me 'marriable' - win a man by his stomach! LOL). So anyway, I was looking for this vegetable, but I didn't for the life of me have a clue what the English name of the vegetable was! I was trying so hard and I knew that I had known it in English too, but I just couldn't grasp it. (Perhaps because prior to learning it in Hungarian, I had so rarely come across the word/item)

So there I was in the supermarket talking this young guy, trying to explain what the vegetable looked like, talking in a noticable native Australian accent and telling him that I couldn't tell him the name because I only knew it in Hungarian.

Talk about funny looks!
1 person has voted this message useful

AeOeUe
Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 5006 days ago

16 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French, Dutch
Studies: Russian

Message 42 of 57
05 September 2010 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
I had a dream last night where a friend was talking to me in Yiddish, that is I knew he
was talking Yiddish in my dream, but when I woke up I recalled the sentence and it was
simply a mixture of German, Russian and French.
My boyfriend is Persian and we talk in English normally, but he says I shouted at him one
night in my sleep, first in German, then when he said he didn't understand I switched to
Russian...
I have only returned to Germany recently and it's still bizarre that everyone around me
talks German, so I think my brain is trying to compensate for it at night ;)

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5913 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 43 of 57
05 September 2010 at 7:04am | IP Logged 
When I was in college, I had a roommate tell me I was speaking Japanese in my sleep. Though in those days I didn't know a word of Japanese. I'm pretty sure I was just mumbling with random sounds, and the roommate assumed it was Japanese.

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6447 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 44 of 57
08 September 2010 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
I dreamed I was taking a Polish class (I don't speak Polish) and I learned the word "przad." I have no idea what it meant, and it doesn't seem to be a real Polish word.

galindo
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4995 days ago

142 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Portuguese

Message 45 of 57
11 September 2010 at 5:59am | IP Logged 
I don't remember most of my dreams, so I'm not sure if I've had an entire dream in Japanese. Various phrases do show up a lot, though.

One thing that happens more often in dreams is that I'll find myself enthusiastically explaining a grammatical principle or how to write a certain kanji, or just explaining how the writing system works. This is usually addressed at a family member. I think it's because most of them know absolutely nothing about any Asian languages and think they're all the same, so in real life I'm always suppressing the urge to say something obnoxious when they ask if I'm still studying Chinese...

Anyways, it's pretty useful, because after I've "explained" something to someone in a dream, I never forget it afterward.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4995 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 46 of 57
13 September 2010 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
I've had several dreams set in Italy and in Italian, which is strange considering my Italian knowledge is very basic, although I do have a few Italian friends so I hear it spoken quite frequently. They happened in the weeks following my real-life trip to Italy, and always involved travelling around cities on public transport, probably because my actual trip involved a lot of that. I don't remember the details of the dreams so I can't say how complicated or correct the language was, but I used a lot of basic phrases (where is x, I have gone to place y, they're going to do Z, etc.) in them.

I've never had a full dream in French even though it's my main language of study, but recently I've had a few dreams in which I've spoken a little bit of French. For example last night I had a dream where I was travelling through Europe and stopped by at a shop in France and asked for some saucisson sec.

markchapman
Diglot
Groupie
Taiwan
tesolzone.com/
Joined 5260 days ago

44 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Portuguese

Message 47 of 57
19 September 2010 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
I've had dreams of speaking in other languages many times. The one I remember most clearly was speaking in
Chinese and English and then trying to translate into Spanish. The effort woke me up.

McSensei
United States
Joined 5044 days ago

28 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 48 of 57
26 September 2010 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
I dream of speaking in French sometimes. I don't recall if the French is correct or not in my dreams, but I certainly seem more fluent in them so I don't think so, It's probably just a flurry of random French words that I pretend have some coherent meaning. It's weird to explain. It's like, I'm speaking in what's supposed to be French, but what I'm not entirely sure of is if it actually was.

This discussion contains 57 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version