57 messages over 8 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >>
Ninja Bunny
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5551 days ago

42 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Dutch, Danish, Mandarin, Afrikaans, Greek, Latin, Italian, Spanish, French

Message 1 of 57
24 January 2009 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
Hello all,

I have had a number of dreams in several foreign languages and wondered who here has as well.

I began studying German in high school but my first dream occurred while in college.

I also took a 2nd year intensive course in Russian (a full year's worth of material learned in eight weeks). I went to three hours of classes in the morning, broke for lunch, worked on my homework in the afternoon, broke for dinner and studied vocabulary in the evening. One night I had a dream in Russian and the next day I lamented to one of my classmates, "Even in my sleep I can't escape it!" He replied, "No, it's a good thing. It means you're really absorbing the language."

Soon after I had a single dream in German, Russian and French (the latter I hadn't actively studied but probably picked up passively).

Since then I have had several dreams in Italian and German. Recently, after spending an evening learning a few basic phrases in Norwegian, I went to sleep and had a dream in...Czech. Go figure.   

I think my favorite overall was one where I was standing in the doorway looking into a room and saw neon green Chinese characters streaming down in front of me in several columns Matrix-style - and I could read all of them!

I often don't remember the content of the dreams - the German/Russian/French one involved an large manor and a horse and carriage and I was speaking to a couple people, one a girl in a bonnet - but I do remember the languages I'm quite happy about it the next morning.

What have your experiences been?
1 person has voted this message useful

Lindsay19
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5580 days ago

183 posts - 214 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC1
Studies: Swedish, Faroese, Icelandic

Message 2 of 57
25 January 2009 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
I have yet to have an entire dream consist entirely of something besides English. But I've had a few with a German word or phrase here and there; maybe it's because I always read before going to bed, and the books I read are German. Last night I had a dream that I won tickets to go see Die Ärzte in concert, and was trying to come up with $2,300 (that's how much it was in my dream, I don't know how much it'd really cost) to fly over to Germany xD I was sad when I woke up and realized it was just a dream... *sigh*

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6031 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 3 of 57
28 January 2009 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
I rarely remember my dreams but on occasion when I have been preoccupied with an L2, it does influence my dreams. I certainly remember dreams partly or entirely in German and Turkish (different periods of my life).

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5753 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 4 of 57
28 January 2009 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
A fair portion of my dreams these days are in french. No surprises there.

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6418 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 5 of 57
29 January 2009 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
This has happened to me several times. The weird part is that people I know will speak languages in my dreams that they don't speak in waking life.

Jar-ptitsa
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5657 days ago

980 posts - 1006 votes 
Speaks: French*, Dutch, German

Message 6 of 57
29 January 2009 at 11:14am | IP Logged 
I dreamed that I was in a room where it was many chairs and because it was a tropical country the windows hadn't glass. the ground of the room was slippery and all the chairs have slipped at one side of the room (suddenly and quickly). One lady went through the window and was on the ground which was concrete and she wasn't conscious and blood was on her head. I asked them if they had phoned the ambulance, but they hadn't, therefore I had to do it. I found a mobile phone and have tried to phone 112, but every time the phone put the incorrect number, for example 011, 012 it was stressful and panicky. After, I had to tell to the person immediatley send us an ambulance : I had to say this in English, because the place of this dream was an English-speaking one.

Jeito
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5576 days ago

55 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Mandarin, German, Italian, Portuguese

Message 7 of 57
29 January 2009 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
The first time this happened to me I was about 19 years old and living on my own in Guayaquil, Ecuador. I remember the exhiliration of waking up and realizing that I had a whole dream in Spanish. Since then, I have studied a number of languages some of which I know pretty well. I dream in them from time to time. But what I think is funny sometimes, I dream in a language that I have not pefectly mastered such as Mandarin and still in the dreaming state I know if I, or somebody else in the dream has made a mistake in grammar or vocabulary...it's pretty funny to wake up and know you used the wrong particle or some other minor grammatical flub in the dream you just had. Does this happen to anybody else?

Satoshi
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 5582 days ago

215 posts - 224 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 8 of 57
30 January 2009 at 8:07am | IP Logged 
Well, when I have dreams in English I tend to be very proud of them. Though I can only remember one such dream, where everyone around me (including my family) was speaking English and everything. What is nice is that the dream never focused in being in English. It simply was. I only realized it was English after waking up.

Little time ago I dreamt about Japanese. Not really IN Japanese, but I dreamt about the kanji stroke orders and I was writing them down and trying to remember vocabulary. But in my dream I was thinking in Portuguese.
Nice thing, though. Unconscious language practing.

I even marked the day on my calendary. I was very happy when I woke up.

This discussion contains 57 messages over 8 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version