TraineePolyglot
Australia
Joined 6308 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 9 of 40
12 December 2007 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
Having just come back to this forum and my language studies, I would also like to add my appreciation for the time management thread. I noticed that there were no replies and I was worried the posts might stop, but I could think of nothing intelligent to say.

On the topic of appreciation, I must say that I wholeheartedly appreciate your posts, Professor. They are very informative, and it is a rare pleasure to read such well-written posts on the internet!

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6199 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 10 of 40
15 December 2007 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
ProfArguelles wrote:
Now I understand why there has been so little feedback to the much-requested time management thread: I have launched into a tedious theoretical monologue when you all just want to see my charts.

I have been reading your time management thread, and wouldn't describe it as tedious. I merely have not had anything intelligent to say or ask in response to it, and have thus remained silent.

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7016 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 11 of 40
16 December 2007 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
If my thoughts on the principles of time management are indeed of interest, then perhaps I will write some more there should we run out of steam in describing the ideal academy.

As for showing you all some charts, since a very straightforward three-step procedure was offered, I will endeavor to follow it. If I succeed, you will get some charts next week as a slightly early Christmas present. I will try my best, but I make no promises because, although I know I should, I do not have a website, and I have never uploaded an image, used an image hosting service, or posted a link before. Please have another solution on hand should I be defeated.

gidler
Finland
Joined 6383 days ago

109 posts - 118 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Finnish*

Message 12 of 40
23 December 2007 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
Greetings everyone,

Professor Arguelles has provided this interesting Excel chart. If anyone has trouble accessing it, feel free to contact me.

Update 1: I made a PDF of the chart in case someone has no access to suitable Excel viewer software

Update 2: a PNG image file of the chart, with "hidden" rows visible (not made by me)

Edited by gidler on 04 January 2008 at 4:17am

2 persons have voted this message useful

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7016 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 13 of 40
23 December 2007 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
I have sent copies of my study chart for 2007 to Mr. Määttä, who kindly offered to find a way to let the rest of you view them as well.

After so much expectation and wait, almost anything is bound to be rather disappointing, but I hope these are indeed of some use to somebody. For me, keeping such charts is a real way to keep my balance, direction, and perspective. The even numbers are due to the fact that I have placed certain languages in alternating cycles so that they receive equal attention. By updating such a record daily, I know exactly what I have done, and what I need to do, to evenly distribute my mental energies in order to attain specific goals.

My current main goal is to maintain a steady rate of progress across the board in the “scriptorium.” This is the term I use to describe the activity of transcribing classic texts by hand while simultaneously reading them aloud. I measure this in “pages,” (each page being 25 lines in a bound book whose pages measure 15.5 cm by 21.5 cm), which I convert to “hours” at a rate of 15 minutes/page. My other activities I measure directly in time. I make the entries at the level of the individual languages, but as I am much more concerned with the level of the family, the most important lines to me are rows 123-138.

My second most important activity falls under the heading of “narrative” and includes reading and listening to recorded books.

“Analysis” covers the comparative study of grammar, pattern drill practice, dictionary work, etc.

I keep the “shadowing” column out of habit, but I could and probably should subsume this under the former column as “phonetic analysis” for simplicity’s sake. I stand by shadowing as the most efficacious means of study in the earlier stages of developing a relationship with a language, but I am simply now at a different stage of the game.

Noting that I am hovering around 9 hours of total study time per day, I also have to note that that number comes up so often as to seem to be of some significance. However, I am not satisfied with it, and in order to do justice to all that I would like to do justice to, I would really need 12 hours a day—or at least 10.5. As it is, I do get that on some lucky days, while even on the busiest I generally get at least 6 (5 in the dawn hours to myself from 0300 to 0800, and another 1 or 1.5 while commuting), and thus it balances out to the aforementioned 9.

If you are one of those who were so interested in seeing these charts and you would care to adapt them and use them to monitor your own progress, then please feel free to do so. I think this would be a good New Year’s resolution for any apprentice polyglot who wishes to work more systematically.
3 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6669 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 40
23 December 2007 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
I want to thank Professor Arguelles for sharing the chart (and Gilder for hosting it and making it public). Indeed, this could be a good New Year’s resolution. I have recently started to keep record of my studies, and seeing this chart... this is what I needed. Thanks again.

Nephilim
Diglot
Poland
Joined 6905 days ago

363 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish

Message 15 of 40
24 December 2007 at 6:23am | IP Logged 
A picture, as they say, is worth a thousand words. Great to see the professor's chart - very inspiring. Also, thanks to Gilder for making it possible for us to share. Gilder, are those colours your own or are they the original ones in the professors chart? They are very striking. ;-)

Anyway, having seen the chart I think it's time to start considering New Year's Resolutions. Hopefully this time they will extend beyond January.

Merry Xmas to everybody in this forum.

Nephilim

24karrot
Diglot
Groupie
United States
speakingboricua.blog
Joined 6144 days ago

72 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 16 of 40
24 December 2007 at 10:02am | IP Logged 
That chart is quite frankly... astonishing. Thank you so much for sharing!

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version