Diglot
United States
Joined 5235 days ago

116 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Hindi, Bengali

Message 26 of 33
11 June 2011 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
Dont miss Radice's sound files for TY Bengali. Probably available online, too.

This is good--not a textbook, though:
http://www.bengali-dictionary.com/english-bengali-words-phra ses-contents.html

Another classic Bengali Book is Introduction to Bengali by Edward Dimock. You can download sound files here:
http://home.uchicago.edu/~cbs2/banglainstruction.html. If you have a PC, that is. It is slower and more grammar
oriented than Radice.

Good luck. Enjoy some lal doi for us stuck here at home!

1 person has voted this message useful

unzum
Diglot
United Kingdom
soyouwanttolearnalan
Joined 6709 days ago

371 posts - 478 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 27 of 33
13 June 2011 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
Deji wrote:
Dont miss Radice's sound files for TY Bengali. Probably available online, too.

This is good--not a textbook, though:
http://www.bengali-dictionary.com/english-bengali-words-phra ses-contents.html

Another classic Bengali Book is Introduction to Bengali by Edward Dimock. You can download sound files here:
http://home.uchicago.edu/~cbs2/banglainstruction.html. If you have a PC, that is. It is slower and more grammar
oriented than Radice.

Good luck. Enjoy some lal doi for us stuck here at home!

Thanks for letting everyone know about the audio for Dimcock's Bengali course! I hadn't realised it had been made available, looks really useful!

Deji
Diglot
United States
Joined 5235 days ago

116 posts - 182 votes 

Message 28 of 33
13 June 2011 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
I hope this is more helpful for you than it was for me. (Mac, or browser issues) But I have most of the Dimock
sound files anyway.

However! after that last post, as I was disconsolately trying to download some missing sound files from Dimock
for the 65th time, I began wandering through other download sites and discovered among other things--a
Bengali pdf dictionary from 1876 (?) For free, downloadable as a pdf !. Very nice clear printing too.

http://www.archive.org/stream/companiontojohns00mendrich#pag e/n3/mode/2up

That comes from the U of Iowa free book download site:
http://www.archive.org/details/texts

You can even turn the pages on the dictionary on the site! I have also put the pdf --a 500 page Bengali dictionary
--in my iphone ! (Only navigating is a bit slow.)

I should also mention that I listen to and download stories read by Gaurav Das from this site:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/bangla-golpo-bengali-stor ies/id306572046

I enjoy his readings VERY much. I have texts for many of them. I have to either read the story in class or buy the
translation, or both, to get anywhere with it. But I have listened to his version of Sukumar Ray's "Dhrighanchu"--
probably close to 400 times, and I always enjoy it. Am slowly reading/digesting "Chander Pahar", a classic
explorer/ adventure story which has two English translations available as well as the Bengali. The language is
actually fairly simple. Only, of course the vocabulary is full of words like ""poisonous snake/ palm tree/ terrified/
lions' roar/ diamond mine, etc. It is by Bibhutibhusan Bandopadhaya, who wrote Pather Panchali and much else.
The entire book is read by Gaurav Das. I have also gotten a lot from reading the English while listening to the
Bengali, and also just playing the full story, even without following all that well.

But I really like Gauravs' readings. Listening, I feel like a kid being told a great story once again. If I listen to
Radice lesson cd's that intensely I get very aggravated after the 6th time.

I go to Parabaas (on-line) in New Jersey (USA) for ordering books. Lots of books in both languages.

Also, another great site is the student files in Bengali from the Univ. Michigan. Some of the 2nd year student
projects are hilarious--like a Bengali language parody of a reality show--or a fake news broadcast. "The
Michigan Communist Party announced a Hartal on tuesday.." And impressively well done. Lots more to explore
here too.

http://umbangla.typepad.com/um_bangla/2007/07/sasli-2007---s e.html

Afgjasmine16
Triglot
United States
Joined 5801 days ago

29 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: Pashto*, English, Hindi
Studies: Bengali, Tamil, Indonesian, Turkish

Message 29 of 33
19 June 2011 at 8:28am | IP Logged 
Heinrich S. wrote:
Hello,

I'm going to West Bengal in about three months. I'll be there for three months and want to get a head start on Bengali. I am thinking about concentrating on speaking and just learning the fundamentals scriptwise.

I see there still is a dearth of decent audio-based Bengali learning materials in the Pimsleur style. Or am I overlooking something? It's been a while since the last post.

Thanks

Hello! I'm the unilanger Meera that unzum told you about. :D Sorry if this reply isn't soon engough. Anyway, I have both Teach yourself Bengali and Colliquial Bengali. If you are going to West Bengali I suggest getting Colliquial as it teaches spoken language, and while the writting and spoken languge does not differ to much, Teach Yourself Bengali isn't good when trying to learn fast. For Bengali, each day I would do one of the script lessons from teach yourself and then one chapter of Colliquail. It's a lot of work but it's effective. Also I recomend downloading byki for Bengali. There is a user named smita there who has uploaded all the vocabulary in the Teach Yourself. Its aviable here:
http://www.byki.com/category/Bengali/a

Lonely Planet also has a Bengali pharsebook you can use. I suggest watching some Bengali movies also so you can hear how Bengali's talk :) Also I want to point out that learning bengali script will help you get around West Bengal, as that is what most of the signs are written in. Bengali's will be very impressed that you even know a little of the language ;) Enjoy West Bengal!

Deji
Diglot
United States
Joined 5235 days ago

116 posts - 182 votes 

Message 30 of 33
20 June 2011 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
Update--the 500 page Bengali dictionary-pdf does NOT go on an iphone. I guess that was asking for a lot, anyway.

I have a 5,000 word-list in pdf form that I have put together--actually two of them--in Bengali sort order and
English sort order. The Bengali is written in Bangla, and the order is the Bangla order. These words include all of the
Radice glossary, words from Tuntunir Boi, other assorted short stories, Lonely Planet, U of Michigan- Newspaper
words, If anyone wants a copy, message me and I'll send you the pdf.

I have not been able to get byki Bengali with the mac but I can read smita's Radice material and I like it a lot for
pronunciation. Smita, thanks! খুবই ভােলা !

Heinrich S.
Groupie
Germany
Joined 6731 days ago

63 posts - 85 votes 
Studies: French

Message 31 of 33
27 June 2011 at 8:12am | IP Logged 
Excellent, thank you all! I'll definitely check out Colloquial Bengali; I strongly prefer audio type learning materials to get started in a language.

Speaking of audio, the pop-up window at http://home.uchicago.edu/~cbs2/banglainstruction.html when you try to download the files is empty on my computer. Is it just my computer or others having the problem as well?

Deji
Diglot
United States
Joined 5235 days ago

116 posts - 182 votes 

Message 32 of 33
21 July 2011 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
I had this problem too, but I thought it was because I had a mac or my browser didn't work with that system.
They do have a note about which browsers work or don't work.

I suggest you try to contact them. If you have no success with that send me a personal message.

Colloquial Bengali is a good series too. The pronunciation is a bit more Bangladeshi. It is slower and more visitor/
tourist oriented than Radice's Teach-Yourself Bengali. It IS colloquial, which is nice. Just one thing-- (rant alert) -
-try to read a page of the Bengali transliterations before buying it. Why does every Bengali textbook writer have
to invent a completely different transliteration system? It is useable but will take a little effort to become
comfortable with it. And if you try to use these books (Colloquial, Teach Your-Self and even Dimock) with a
Bengali tutor, they will read one page and back away.

I just bought Hanne-Ruth Thompson's book Bengali / Dictionary and Phrasebook and am very impressed
with it.
The grammar explanations are very clear, short, and easy to understand, also easy to look up when you forget
them. She uses a lot of grammatical terms but even if you fog out reading "the verbal noun can be used as the
subject in equational sentences" the examples make it clear what this is about. The English transliteration of
Bengali words is clear and intuitive.

I also particularly like the choice of phrases in the phrasebook, as well as the organization. We learn not only how
to meet and greet, eat or not eat, introductions, travel, etc. etc. but also the answers to the usual flood of family-
type questions, AND a special section on how much Bengali you do or don't speak, ranging from "I can't
understand anything" to "I have come here to learn Bangla "/ 'Don't speak English with me" (Good luck with that).
Another section deals with Problems with a subsection dealing with how to tell someone to get lost. It is
also a small-sized book, and relatively inexpensive. ($15). Only no audio, alas.

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version