Joined 6188 days ago

63 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 25 of 38
19 January 2008 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
ProfArguelles wrote:
Mr. Picksley,

Perhaps this is an opportune time to announce that I am currently taking active steps to join the computer age
by setting up my own website. I do not know how long it will take, but I had my first meeting with the designer
last week, and I specified that I wanted one of the “pages” to contain links to the chapters of this treatise. I will
also have a “page” with audio and video, and I plan on making a training video for shadowing in particular. That
should help somewhat, but as I believe I have articulated elsewhere not too long ago, even when I work with
students one on one in real-life tutorials, it generally takes several weeks and lots of correction from me before
they learn to do it properly.

Dear Prof. Arguelles

This is wonderful news. Thank you for your prompt reply.

Stephen Picksley

Edited by Languagelover1 on 19 January 2008 at 2:34am

1 person has voted this message useful

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7015 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 26 of 38
20 January 2008 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
I am very happy to hear that someone is already using the Korean Newspaper Reader, and I do hope it will be of assistance to you in improving your Korean. As noted in the introduction, the ambitious official goal of the book is to take you from ILR level 2 to ILR level 3/3+. There are many ways that you can use such a text, and since you must already be comparatively advanced to be using the book in the first place, I encourage you to find your own path. What you are doing is fine if it suits your learning style, but I wonder if the audio has been released yet—I have not received my copies yet, and I do regard them as an integral part of the method, but you do not mention them. Since you ask for pointers, however, I will say that I would use this book differently:

1.     First and foremost, hoping and presuming that the audio is of good quality, I would shadow it as my introduction to the material, paying particular attention to the North Korean texts, which are supposed to be read by a Pyongyang native and which will thus have a different lilt from what you have used before.
2.     I would study the grammatical introduction, paying particular attention to Tables II and III on pages xiv-xxv.
3.     I would read the article and the vocabulary list simultaneously, physically using a finger of my right hand to follow the text and a finger of my left hand to follow the sequential vocabulary.
4.     I would then read the translation to make sure I was not misunderstanding anything.
5.     I would then repeat step 3 several times until I felt reasonably comfortable with my understanding without the vocabulary.
6.     I would work through several pages of text in this way before I copied by hand, and through a good many pages before I attempted any kind of translation.

On another note, referring back to one of the last comments by Mr. Iversen, I think you may have misunderstood how my dictionary came out: the Korean column was completely removed, and so the format is English / French / Spanish / German. If you could get a copy, I would hope that you would find it both interesting and useful.

2 persons have voted this message useful

mumusik
Korea, South
Joined 6065 days ago

38 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean

Message 27 of 38
21 January 2008 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
교수님,

thanks for the quick reply.

Thanks for that advice. Unfortunately, there is no audio... If you hear that they are released, please mention it and I will see if it's possible to get a set sent here seeing as I have already bought the book... Your last point is interesting, I'll try to get a good feel for several articles before translating and writing.

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6075 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 28 of 38
28 February 2008 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
Professor,

I have some heartening news! After e-mailing the Maliks store, your English French Spanish German Dictionary is indeed in stock. So I placed an order for it. Now, despite the typical kinds of ludicrous shipping costs ($25 in this case) to be expected for books - especially to a far-out little country like New Zealand - my order arrived just now and within three days. Am I a happy chappy? Why yes.

Here is a pic, just for excitement's sake:

To any of those who would like a copy, and can afford the costs ($43 including shipping outside Lebanon; the book itself is only $18), I heartily recommend you do so, as the shipping speed was phenomenal.

I will be sure to make great use of this book, especially when I take up Spanish in the very near future. I do find it terribly disappointing that such a work is not nearly as accessible as it should be. Professor, you say that seven years were spent compiling this dictionary; is it not at all possible to have it republished or made more accessible? There is no reason why such a work could not find its way into a Borders store or a University library.

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7015 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 29 of 38
02 March 2008 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
Mr. Button,

Thank you so very much for providing proof that the publication of my dictionary in some form was not a mere figment of my fevered imagination. You may enjoy looking at a fascinating work, Chasing the Sun: Dictionary Makers and the Dictionaries they Made by Jonathan Green. His basic conclusion is that we are all insane. I must say that wresting with a project that is so much larger than oneself does make one feel this way to the point that at times one is just no longer sure… At any rate, thank you so much for your appreciative words. I do hope your purchase will be of actual use to you as you tread the path of the polyglot. It was fully intended to be so, as every time you look up a word in one language, you will necessarily see it in the others as well, feeding you that comparative information initially and then reinforcing it each time. Of course I concur, it would be wonderful if it could be more easily and generally accessible…

Makrasiroutioun
Quadrilingual Heptaglot
Canada
infowars.com
Joined 5865 days ago

210 posts - 236 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Armenian*, Romanian*, Latin, German, Italian
Studies: Dutch, Swedish, Turkish, Japanese, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 30 of 38
16 April 2008 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
Professor, if you may forgive my insolence, but my curiosity is gnawing at me... what is the status on your "Principles of Polyglottery" book? I kept on thinking about it the other day when I was rereading Frederick Bodmer's "Loom of Language".

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6437 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 32 of 38
17 April 2008 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
ProfArguelles wrote:
I do feel that my experience can be of uniquely valuable assistance to those who can conceive of learning ten or more languages, but are there even ten such individuals alive? In any case, I am also more than happy to help all serious students of languages, such as you yourself. A desire to learn four languages is certainly more than respectable, and I would like to live in a world in which all educated individuals did this as a matter of course. If my writings can have an influence in that direction, then I will be overjoyed. I must say, though, that I am somewhat perplexed by the mixed signals I get from this forum—on the one hand, there is a continuous stream of calls for me to get my book out, but on the other hand, when I get to writing and sharing the unfinished portions, as I did in the time management thread and am trying to do in the thread on ideal systematic training in polyglottery, I get discouragingly little feedback…

I consider myself one of those individuals (I'm on my fourth), mostly thanks to reading your posts and realizing that laziness and endless procrastination are the only things holding me back. I have only recently gotten my life into a steady routine though (moving to a new country and so on) and gotten truly back on track with my language studies, and thus returned to this forum. Here I read a lot of things, but I only comment when I think I have something to say, and in your threads I have not really felt that there was much I could or ought to say. I consider myself too young, for some reason.

However, I read your post on ideal systematic training in polyglottery and it sounded very interesting. I have no limits to how much work I can put into something when forced (by something exterior or by pride and jealousy) and if such an academy existed, I would do what I could to get in to it.

I also wanted to add that I too wait for that book of yours!

Best regards,
Rebecka

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version