United States
Joined 6223 days ago

84 posts - 85 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, French

Message 9 of 38
25 November 2007 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
ProfArguelles wrote:
I have 5 handsomely printed and bound copies of my 735-page English French Spanish German Dictionary, as they titled it, and I did see copies in Beirut bookstores before being forced to flee from the land, but yet when I look for it on their site, even using the ISBN 9953-86-056-4 from the back cover, I cannot find it.

The English French Spanish German Dictionary does come up in an Internet search-

http://www.neelwafurat.com/itempage.aspx?id=lbb146491-107870 &search=books

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6225 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 10 of 38
25 November 2007 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
Instruct1 wrote:
ProfArguelles wrote:
I have 5 handsomely printed and bound copies of my 735-page English French Spanish German Dictionary, as they titled it, and I did see copies in Beirut bookstores before being forced to flee from the land, but yet when I look for it on their site, even using the ISBN 9953-86-056-4 from the back cover, I cannot find it.

The English French Spanish German Dictionary does come up in an Internet search-

http://www.neelwafurat.com/itempage.aspx?id=lbb146491-107870 &search=books

This book appears to be available at the above URL, and also at http://www.maliks.com/products.php?Toys=&ModuleID=1&Cat_ID=8 2&SubCat_ID=885, and on the 'maliks' site, searching for the ISBN (without '-' characters) does bring up the book. Furthermore, it appears that at least one government library has a copy: http://alassad-library.gov.sy/bookfair/d2/Directory/02859-02 888.html.

That said: it is a great pity that publishers have been so problematic.

owshawng
United States
Joined 6672 days ago

202 posts - 217 votes 

Message 11 of 38
26 November 2007 at 10:09am | IP Logged 
Dear ProfArguelles

I enjoy reading your posts and look forward to reading your book. I found your shadowing method to be really eye opening and am applying it to assimil and language learning podcasts. Your time management thread has inspired me to start learning Spanish while I continue my Mandarin studies.

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7042 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 12 of 38
02 December 2007 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
My thanks to those who tracked down these three obscure links to my dictionary: at least now I know that it is not a figment of my imagination or a slice of magical-realism intruding into my life. However, this still does not explain why the publisher, instead of providing the international distribution that was promised, does not even list it on their own site. If I do say so myself, this is at least as valuable a work as many of the other dictionaries that are to be found in every single reference library in the world. It is the only true multilingual dictionary I have ever seen, all others being in reality mere word lists. I compiled it by spending the majority of my office research time on it, probably at least 4 hours a day, M-F, for some 7 years, but since people like you cannot get copies of it, it does seem that those 7000+ hours were wasted. This truly depresses me when I think about it, so I try not to think about it, but it makes me want to forswear lexicography. Moreover, and in all frank honesty, this kind of experience makes me not want to complete and offer my theoretical treatise since I do not know if I could stand it if I were to put my heart and soul and everything I know into it and it were only to elicit this kind of imperceptible yawn from the world.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sarguy
Groupie
United States
Joined 6351 days ago

59 posts - 60 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 13 of 38
04 December 2007 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
I daresay that if the Professor should choose to publish another book, his presence on these fourms would certainly elicit much more than a "yawn" concerning that book.

slattery
United States
dinglabs.com
Joined 6262 days ago

13 posts - 38 votes

Message 14 of 38
04 December 2007 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
Dear ProfArguelles,

That is a sad story about getting your dictionary published. Have you sold the rights to the publisher, or can you still publish the material yourself? Surely you should have some recourse if your publisher isn't doing their job.

There are more options than ever before for self-publishing.
One website I have seen with this service is: Lulu.com.
And this looks like a straightforward guide for self-publishing a book on Amazon.com, here.

I think you would have many eager readers!
I wish you success in getting your valuable works out to the masses.

Edited by slattery on 04 December 2007 at 8:58pm

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6225 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 15 of 38
07 December 2007 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
I would like to second slattery's recommendation of Lulu. I know the authors of Squeak by Example, which is currently available in three forms: a freely downloadable PDF, an identical PDF which can be paid for through Lulu to support the project, and finally, a physical book through Lulu. I contacted one author (who, incidentally, is a professor) to ask how Lulu was working for Squeak by Example, and he indicated that he was very happy with it.

The combination of a free PDF and the ability to buy a physical copy of the book strikes me as one of the best combinations between widely disseminating information and making it available as a physical book, as is preferred by many people. I think it is especially good for academic works, which all too often quickly fall out of print and become hard to obtain during the next century while they languish unredistributably under the default restrictions of copyright, all too often with the publisher (rather than the author) retaining rights despite no longer making the book available.

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7042 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 16 of 38
09 December 2007 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Thank you both very much for these suggestions. If I can ever muster the drive to push for this project again, then I will certainly follow-up on them. However, taking the dictionary information from the manuscript form in which I have it and putting it into appropriate dictionary display is a very difficult task. The best thing about the Lebanese production was the fact that I had a professional lexicographical computer typesetting house at my disposal. That is also one of the mystifying things about the whole matter, for they really invested in the production. At any rate, back when I was more excited about this project, I dreamed of having it available in some sort of mutable form so that users of the dictionary could rearrange the languages in the order that best suited them and also use the thematic category section as an organizational scheme so as to be able to find and study vocabulary comparatively according to subject matter.

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version