Tags: Turkish | Polish | Japanese
 Language Learning Forum : Cultural Experiences in Foreign Languages Post Reply
173 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 22 Next >>
Jappy58
Bilingual Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 4427 days ago

200 posts - 413 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Guarani*, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Maghribi), Arabic (Written), French, English, Persian, Quechua, Portuguese
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 161 of 173
02 June 2012 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
I've had two experiences with Guarani and Quechua.

Once, during a vacation to my hometown in Paraguay, my family decided that it would be interesting to visit Buenos Aires. When we arrived to spend the weekend in the city, we would usually speak in Guarani, sometimes in Spanish. At one point, we were in a market and my sister started speaking (rather loudly) in Guarani, and some of the Argentineans were watching her. She then said, "Why are those people looking at me so crazy," (in Guarani, of course). One of the ladies responded, "We've just never heard Guarani spoken so crazy here in the city."

The experience with Quechua was even more surprising, because it occurred here in the United States, where I never expected to encounter someone who spoke Quechua. I was at a mall, and was talking to one of my friends from Ecuador in Quechua over the phone. After I finished, a lady walked up to me and asked, "Are you from Peru or Ecuador?" in Quechua. It wasn't an embarassing experience, but I was nonetheless amazed.

3 persons have voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5517 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 162 of 173
07 June 2012 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
I just remembered a case from a couple of years ago that was covered by the media in Poland. A book cover designer was commissioned to do a cover. He used runes and put words written in them to be the main thing on the cover. Unfortunately for him, a kid from elementary school was inspiried by it, started learning about the script and discovered that the words written in runes were swear words and obscenities! :)

Edited by pesahson on 07 June 2012 at 1:13pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4935 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 163 of 173
17 December 2012 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
I think almost every foreign language may be used so in Brazil... However I wouldn't use
anything on the beach...

1 person has voted this message useful

sammymcgoff
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4152 days ago

40 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 164 of 173
06 January 2013 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
I'd be careful with closely related languages too. I was on a trip to London Dungeons with my high school a few years back. There were some Slovakian tourist queuing on front of us; they were talking amongst themselves and my Polish friend could understand every word they were saying! She never told me what it all meant but it proves that a language may not be as secret as you imagine

Sumthae
Diglot
Poland
studyinglanguages.wo
Joined 4130 days ago

6 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Indonesian

Message 165 of 173
09 January 2013 at 1:09pm | IP Logged 
I remember that once in Oslo me and my friend were talking in Polish commenting on our
trip during the bus ride. In front of us was sitting a Polish girl living in Oslo, we
got to know that as she joined our discussion. :) We got some insight from her, that
was nice. I think we also met Polish girl in one of the eateries. These were nice
meetings.

I use Polish with my Polish friends. We talk, comment about different things, if we
like something or something is bugging us, even a thing from 1 minute ago. Sometimes
I'm rude enough to comment on people around um... cause it gets to you, when they
comment around you about you, of course thinking you don't know their language. After
few months of hearing things like that, you just can have enough and get down to their
level.

Being the white girl in love with Asian languages, I usually have a problem of
understanding/knowing the languages of countries I'm going to. Yes, it’s a problem.
Just because I'm white everybody assumes I speak English (sometimes I wish I didn't)
and I can't speak their language. The rush in Japanese tourist offices when I just
entered - to look for English-speaking person - was funny the first few times. And
then, sitting at the table and answering in Japanese to their English... Nice. I don't
remember overhearing Japanese talking behind me about me.

Indonesians on the other hand... Ugh... I often catch them talking about me, even if
I'm around. I came to Indonesia to learn this language. I often am ignored. There comes
a new person to a familiar place in which I'm currently in (like boarding house, the
place I usually eat etc.) and they are starting talking to the Indonesian person about
who I am, what I'm doing in here, etc. Hello, I'm here! I can understand you, and I
don't like f... be ignored. You want to know something about me? Ask me. You didn't
even try talking to me.

Of course, sometimes I also see shop assistants in Indonesia trying to “volunteer” the
other person to speak with me in English, even before I’m close enough to talk to them.
I say then in Indonesian “I can speak Indonesian.” and the look on their faces
is...priceless.

Why do Asians think their languages are "secret" is beyond me.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 166 of 173
09 January 2013 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
Sumthae wrote:
Indonesians on the other hand... Ugh... I often catch them talking
about me, even if
I'm around. I came to Indonesia to learn this language. I often am ignored. There comes
a new person to a familiar place in which I'm currently in (like boarding house, the
place I usually eat etc.) and they are starting talking to the Indonesian person about
who I am, what I'm doing in here, etc. Hello, I'm here! I can understand you, and I
don't like f... be ignored. You want to know something about me? Ask me. You didn't
even try talking to me.

I think some of this in Indonesia is sexism. I remember meeting female travelers who
complained that they felt invisible in Indonesia. For men in can be the opposite there;
once I said even something as simple as "selamat pagi" I would be the object of non-
stop attention.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 167 of 173
09 January 2013 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
Sumthae wrote:
Indonesians on the other hand... Ugh... I often catch them talking
about me, even if
even try talking to me.

I think some of this in Indonesia is sexism. I remember meeting female travelers who
complained that they felt invisible in Indonesia. For men it can be the opposite there;
once I said even something as simple as "selamat pagi" I would be the object of non-
stop attention.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4147 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 168 of 173
10 January 2013 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
You'd think that greek abroad would be quite safe.

No!

I was complaining to my husband once, standing in a queue outside a famous cafe in Paris, in the freezing cold, waiting to get in. At one point the lady waiting behing us explained to us that it's customary in Paris to wait in queues. She was a greek living there. Thank heaven we didn't say anything really rude!

On the same trip, we were lost, so I was telling him that all we had to do is either ask the way, or find the @##%#@ river. A lady with an older lady spoke to us giving us directions. Another greek, with her mother, living in Paris...

In Italy it was even more weird, because the merchants understand prices, and have so standard phrases in store. They also pick up on body language, so we never know who understood what. They are in the habit of bargaining for prices (just like us), and I can tell you half of the fun was bargaining with merchants that spoke half Italian, half greek...

This is not my experience, but it is my favourite.
During the war, Greece was occupied by the Germans (among others...). My grandmother was a very beautiful 18year old. She took a small boat to get from one place to another. On the boat there was always a German soldier accompanying, who got your papers as you got on the boat, and gave them back to you as you got off it.
Anyway, during one of those voyages, my grandmother was talking to the old and wise captain whom she knew all her life, saying things like: let's throw him overboard, stubid bloody German, etc. The soldier was standing right there, oblivious. The captain was saying to her: don't say anything, let it go. After four hours of this, they finally arrived. As she was getting out of the boat, the soldier gave her the parers smiling, saying to her: here are your papers miss. In perfect greek.
Needless to say my grandmother grabbed the papers and dissapeared faster than lightning.

Edited by renaissancemedi on 10 January 2013 at 10:01am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 173 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version