Groupie
Virgin Islands
Joined 6069 days ago

48 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: German*, Dutch*, English, French, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), Bulgarian, Greek

Message 9 of 173
05 October 2007 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
Some friends of mine were Russian asylum seekers in the Netherlands (where I spent most of my life). Until the government assigned them some sort of house, they had to live in a building with loads of other asylum seekers. They also had dinner and lunch together.

While having dinner, my Russian friend sat down at the table with another Russian friend of his. They sat down next to an African girl, which wasn't... all too skinny. Anyway, he just went on and on to my friend about how he couldn't understand guys that were falling for fat chicks, and so on... All in Russian, of course. He must have went on about this for quite some time, eventually really insulting her. My friend just listened and didn't really contribute. Eventually, they left the dinner table.

A couple of days later, my friend was making a stroll through the building. He happened to see the same big black girl, she was speaking to a friend. And she was speaking in ... yes, you guess right. She was speaking in fluent Russian.
So he asks one of the by-standers: "How come this girl speaks Russian?"
Turns out she had studied in Moscow and was able to hear every bit of that conversation. Poor girl!
12 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6052 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 10 of 173
05 October 2007 at 7:53am | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
I heard a story about Montreal-based Power Corporation conducting a business deal in Japan. The day-long negotiations between Power's executives and the executives of the Japanese company were done using English-Japanese interpreters. When break-time came, the Power executives began discussing strategy in English, but switched to French when they realized the Japanese group across the room were listening and might know some English.

Later, the deal was concluded, and a banquet held to commemorate it. When the Japanese CEO stood up to give his speech, everyone expected it to be in Japanese. Instead, he gave it in French.

It's fiction, but in the David Lodge novel Nice Work one of the main characters, an English businessman, goes to Frankfurt for the trade fair and negotiates with Germans who are prone to talk to each other in German from time to time. The Englishman has brought a woman academic with him, posing as his personal assistant and the Germans probably assume she is his mistress. She attends the meeting and although she tries to give the impression of being ignorant, she can understand their German and reports to the businessman what the Germans have been saying to each other. As a result the English businessman is able to outmanoeuvre them in the negotiations.     

Edited by William Camden on 05 October 2007 at 7:55am

5 persons have voted this message useful

El Gringo
Groupie
United States
Joined 6040 days ago

65 posts - 93 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 173
13 October 2007 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
Polyphemes wrote:
Some friends of mine were Russian asylum seekers in the Netherlands (where I spent most of my life). Until the government assigned them some sort of house, they had to live in a building with loads of other asylum seekers. They also had dinner and lunch together.

While having dinner, my Russian friend sat down at the table with another Russian friend of his. They sat down next to an African girl, which wasn't... all too skinny. Anyway, he just went on and on to my friend about how he couldn't understand guys that were falling for fat chicks, and so on... All in Russian, of course. He must have went on about this for quite some time, eventually really insulting her. My friend just listened and didn't really contribute. Eventually, they left the dinner table.

A couple of days later, my friend was making a stroll through the building. He happened to see the same big black girl, she was speaking to a friend. And she was speaking in ... yes, you guess right. She was speaking in fluent Russian.
So he asks one of the by-standers: "How come this girl speaks Russian?"
Turns out she had studied in Moscow and was able to hear every bit of that conversation. Poor girl!

Your Russian friend sounds like a major jerk.
27 persons have voted this message useful

Taiga
Diglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 6090 days ago

81 posts - 85 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 12 of 173
17 October 2007 at 5:54am | IP Logged 
I've found Catalan is a perfect "Secret language" in Australia, as I've only met 2 speakers so far :D
3 persons have voted this message useful

armando
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6058 days ago

44 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*, Afrikaans
Studies: Italian

Message 13 of 173
23 October 2007 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
In the uk afrikaans is a good secret language - as long as you are not in London! I am amazed at how many afrikaans voices I can hear in a day on the tubes. It truly brings home how many people have left the country :(
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6483 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 173
23 October 2007 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
If you only know Spanish then Catalan may sound like gibberish in the beginning. If you only know Dutch than the same applies to Afrikaans. But in both cases you soon learn to get the meaning of what is being said. I have known a wee bit of Catalan for too long to remember how it was to hear it for the first time. But I have visited South Africa twice and Namibia once within the last five years, and I can understand more each time without having ever studied the Afrikaans language formally - someday I just might want to learn it properly.

The written forms of both Catalan and Afrikaans are even easier to understand - though I must say that one of the books I bought last time has been more recalcitrant than I expected (but ordinary newspapers and magazines in Afrikaans are quite easy to decode).

If you really want to speak a secret language then you have to try some languages that are more isolated and less spoken than both Catalan and Afrikaans - such as Basque or one of the smaller Khoisan languages. Or even better: one of the almost extinct languages that are spoken in Siberia. Or Ainu. Or best of all: a totally extinct language - 'Tocharian A' might be a good choice if you can find someone to share your thoughts with.

But frankly, if you are in Australia why not follow in the footsteps of Kenneth Hale and learn Warlpiri? I suppose that you can count the number of 'white' Australians who have bothered to feast on the aboriginal languages on one hand.

Edited by Iversen on 23 October 2007 at 7:31pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

jody
United States
Joined 6018 days ago

242 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Bulgarian

Message 15 of 173
31 October 2007 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
That is one advantage of learning Bulgarian in the U.S. I've met a very few Bulgarian-speakers in America. Sometimes my wife and I will use this "secret language" to talk about somebody in public. The problem is, however, when you are like me and you don't truly speak the languge. I know how to say only a few things. So it gets suspicious when we're speaking English, and then one of us says one line in Bulgarian and then we switch right back to English.
1 person has voted this message useful

bela_lugosi
Hexaglot
Finland
Joined 6234 days ago

272 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English, Finnish*, Italian, Spanish, German, Swedish
Studies: Russian, Estonian, Sámi, Latin

Message 16 of 173
01 November 2007 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
A Finnish girl I know once went to New York with her female friend, and they were having a nice walk in the streets. They stop to cross the road, and waiting for the light to turn green, start commenting on the asses of the people standing in front of them. The girl I know says in Finnish: "Wow! This guy in front of me has a really nice ass!" Then all of a sudden the guy turns around and replies in perfect Finnish: "Thank you! I know it is perfect!" :p

19 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 173 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version