France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5784 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 25 of 39
24 August 2009 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
Cool, it's good to see some old timers coming back and posting. Good luck Steve.
1 person has voted this message useful

steve s.
United States
Joined 6124 days ago

39 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 26 of 39
24 August 2009 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, ExtraLean...appreciated!

Ok, as perhaps noted before, I am interested (as most of us are) in the most efficient way to learn.

Interesting article here.

Points of note are:
~ that you first begin with frequency of use, using the most frequent words first (isn't that what you did in your native language?)
~ that you pick methods of study that are interesting to you and will keep you studying and, of course, are effective
~ that you continue to study regularly
~ that you study something that you might study anyway; in the article he uses martial arts and I can relate; but pick a topic that you would read about/study anyway

So, with that in mind, I feel I'm on the right track this time. These may sound like obvious points but common sense isn't always common...

As a side note: I would love to hear from those that have achieved what they consider fluency in a language simply by studying on their own. Yes, I know this site is full of people like that, but I can actually only think of a couple of people that I know that have studied and done it, maybe only one person [I'm sure that is, mostly, because I am in the US and, North Americans, especially natives, think that everyone should just simply learn English; I can say this 'cause I am one and most people I know are like that]. Most either were raised in that setting, learned it in school rather than on their own or haven't learned it thoroughly yet...so any feedback would be appreciated, including techniques that have worked for you.

Thanks, now gotta get back to studying..

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5655 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 27 of 39
24 August 2009 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Can I ask where your Esperanto studies took you? I've been studying Spanish for a little while now too, and it's nice to be able to look back and see how much you've progressed. I'll be here rooting for you (and telling you to pick up the pace if you start slacking!) :)

As far as people who have learned a language on their own in the US, you might want to check out irrationale's logs (one for Spanish and one for Mandarin). I found a lot of really useful information/study tips in both.

steve s.
United States
Joined 6124 days ago

39 posts - 39 votes

Message 28 of 39
24 August 2009 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
Crush: thanks for the feedback...I'll check irrationale's log out...

Ah, Esperanto! I didn't follow up on it and felt very squashed by "supporters," unfortunately. It is so logical that I may just have to pick it up again, but not right away. It just makes so much sense and could surely help with other languages.

...depending on what I have success with on Spanish, hopefully I can apply it to Esperanto. Of course, compared to English, Spanish is very logical in it's own right. ;-)

Anyway, thanks for the feedback...

steve s.
United States
Joined 6124 days ago

39 posts - 39 votes

Message 29 of 39
24 August 2009 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
I looked at irrationale's log and noted Rog71 on my original post of this thread, and that helps. Again, it looks like I'm on the right track this time...I needed to see others that had pulled it off, for sure.

Oh, as of right now, on disk 4 of Michel Thomas and RSv3 I'm on Lesson 2 (section 2 of 4) of level 1 (I've got level 1, two and 3).

When carrying on conversations en Español, I can get my message across (i have a handful of conversations per week). I can understand most conversations and can get the "gist" of what is going on with most things I read and most movies.

steve s.
United States
Joined 6124 days ago

39 posts - 39 votes

Message 30 of 39
26 August 2009 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
Observation: the Simpsons movie is hilarious en español, too. ;-)

steve s.
United States
Joined 6124 days ago

39 posts - 39 votes

Message 31 of 39
28 August 2009 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
Had a really heavy study day yesterday (a few hours worth), including a discussion over an insident that one of the cleaning crew had; she speaks only Spanish.

It was a good day for learning.

I further discover that, if the learning is going well, it really tires me out. My sister, the Spanish teacher, says, yep, it's working! She says her old instructor used to always say that, if your head hurt and you were tired, it was working...well, I'm right there.

Every day more seems to come to me, but I have to keep up with it. All down time is in Spanish; television, movies, RS, or book reading. Even on the cardio workout is Michel Thomas while watching Spanish tv. Just keep at it one day at a time...and sleep when I can.

Edited by steve s. on 28 August 2009 at 1:24pm

steve s.
United States
Joined 6124 days ago

39 posts - 39 votes

Message 32 of 39
10 September 2009 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
Every day is getting better but, as Barry Farber points out, it has to be continually attacked from all sides, as in battle. RS course, Michel Thomas, movies, radio, every day. At least an hour on Rosetta Stone (RS) every day, if possible (man that makes me sleepy!).

I had read one suggestion of making sure that you read books regarding topics that would interest you anyway.

In that light, I am looking up martial arts books. I have been a practitioner for 10 years, so I have all the "standard" books in English, but none in Spanish.

With a little google wizardry, I've found the Tao of Jeet Kune Do, the Book of Five Rings, and the Hagakuri, all of which I have in English and now ebook versions in Spanish! Good stuff...

If anyone has good ebooks/leads on books in Spanish about Brazilian Jiujitsu or ebooks on styles I don't know (weaponry, original Spanish martial arts, are two examples) I would love to read them. Free ebooks are the way to go, if you have any links on that.

Fascinating reading Bruce Lee's Tao of Jeet Kune Do in Spanish. Books like the Hagakuri are tougher to read (if you've ever seen the movie "Ghost Dog" you'll recognize the Hagakuri, as that is the book Forest Whitaker is quoting from). And of course, the Art of War is a tough read in any language. ;-)

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version