Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 17 of 39
20 August 2007 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
Ok, really loved this post about audio books:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=6386&PN=1

and specifically loved this one:
http://scratchblog.wordpress.com/audiolibros/

Also have begun a very little bit of learning Esperanto "on the side." Spanish is still the primary focus...currently reading 501 Spanish Verbs, living on the Quizlet shuffle game and reading/listening to the FSI course...all great. But Esperanto just looks easy and fun, so I'm dabbling.

Would love input from those that have studied both at the same time.

Edited by steve s. on 20 August 2007 at 12:10pm

1 person has voted this message useful

steve s.
United States
Joined 6124 days ago

39 posts - 39 votes

Message 18 of 39
21 August 2007 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
Esperanto comment:

Was trying to find out how to type alt number keys characters for esperanto and, although I found good stuff on Spanish alt numbers, (for example, alt+164 is ñ) but nothing for esperanto.

This page was very helpful for Windows XP in that it provides an Esperanto template to use in Word where you can type the characters at your leisure.

How to type Esperanto Characters

steve s.
United States
Joined 6124 days ago

39 posts - 39 votes

Message 19 of 39
21 September 2007 at 8:16am | IP Logged 
Still having fun learning Esperanto...on lesson number 7 of the 10 lesson course...listening to epseranto music as my only music, reading Esperanto books, etc. Good stuff! Flash cards, quizlet...all good.

The language comes very rapidly even though I'm probably only putting in less than an hour per day...flash cards and all the above are a great help. Each day I am recognizing more in the music, whole lines, etc.

Will keep at Esperanto till I feel comfortably fluent, then back to Spanish.

S4Real
United States
Joined 6059 days ago

25 posts - 31 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 20 of 39
26 September 2007 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
It seems I spend more time studying "how" to learn Spanish than actually studying it. I have quite a collection of self-study material, some of which is dusty. But now I'm very serious. I'm now using Platiquemos and MT advanced. Any suggestions for other serious learning material?

steve s.
United States
Joined 6124 days ago

39 posts - 39 votes

Message 21 of 39
27 September 2007 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
S4Real wrote:
It seems I spend more time studying "how" to learn Spanish than actually studying it. I have quite a collection of self-study material, some of which is dusty. But now I'm very serious. I'm now using Platiquemos and MT advanced. Any suggestions for other serious learning material?

The server was grumpy at me the other day, so I'm answering now...the FSI course is a must, but other than that find any way that you enjoy having yourself immersed in a language...I'm a fan of the mp3 player so I convert stuff to mp3's or I use Spanishsense.com, or Spanish music, or whatever. Just peruse the forum and get more ideas then enjoy what works best for you...;-)

S4Real
United States
Joined 6059 days ago

25 posts - 31 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 22 of 39
27 September 2007 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
Thanks steve s. for the encouragement with FSI, its a drag, its boring, but I won't quit, I must finish. I have the lessons downloaded to my mp3.

steve s.
United States
Joined 6124 days ago

39 posts - 39 votes

Message 23 of 39
28 September 2007 at 6:40am | IP Logged 
S4Real wrote:
Thanks steve s. for the encouragement with FSI, its a drag, its boring, but I won't quit, I must finish. I have the lessons downloaded to my mp3.

Yeah!

Just so I don't rush myself and don't get frustrated that I don't learn a language overnight, one way that I look at it is this: in 5 years, if the good Lord hasn't taken me before then, I'll either just be 5 years older, or I'll be 5 years older and know a couple of more languages. That keeps me just learning sure and steady rather than gotta-know-it-now. Don't get me wrong, I still try to use the most expedient ways to learn, but this perspective gives me a little more patience and perseverence.

Have fun!

steve s.
United States
Joined 6124 days ago

39 posts - 39 votes

Message 24 of 39
24 August 2009 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
Wow...it's been a while.

Life gets in the way sometimes, as the case with job situations in the US, and I fell into the shuffle, so took a break from my learning.

I'm back in the game and studying hard. Studies are now focussed only on Spanish. I've been back at it, at least an hour a day, for the last two weeks.

I'm enjoying Rosetta Stone v3 (got it running on Linux! Yeah!) for my overall study. However, I'm also watching movies in Spanish. I'm listening to Michel Thomas on the mp3 player during workout times as it doesn't have a book accompaniament.

I've got FSI, but just can't focussed on it and have instead really enjoyed RS and other study material. Have Pimsleur mp3's and will listen to those after I finish the Michel Thomas stuff. Spanish TV is also good. Also using a Berlitz study book for independent read time.

...so, essentially, any and all "down time" is immersed in Spanish. Thankfully, being in Texas, there is great deal of Spanish spoken here if I just guide the conversation that way.

Glad to be back in the game and glad to have this forum for input; any and all comments of course, welcome, to help with continued learning.

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version