Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
22 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
Kees
Nonaglot
Canada
learn-to-read-foreig
Joined 4973 days ago

37 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, Swedish, French, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Hungarian

Message 17 of 22
27 December 2015 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
I guess what I'm doing is something of a combination of intensive and extensive
reading as well, but both at the same time, if you know what I mean.

I'm reading intensively because I can lookup all meanings, on the other hand, it's so
fast that I can read a whole chapter fast in that way, so you can call it extensive as
well.

See picture (it's a gif movie so you might need to click it to see it move):

Normally I don't look up that much, lol, but this is to show the speed with which you
can read "opaque" material. The menu's got things like font type, font size, spaced
rep settings, word tests, etc. I made the tool myself, it's for Windows PC.

If you want any of this material for this or another language, just mail me and I'll
send a download link, I have this stuff up for sale to fund translators and audio, but
at the same time if anyone wants it for free I'm fine with that as well.

1 person has voted this message useful

Kees
Nonaglot
Canada
learn-to-read-foreig
Joined 4973 days ago

37 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, Swedish, French, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Hungarian

Message 18 of 22
30 December 2015 at 5:53am | IP Logged 
Goal: Read and understand Hungarian fluently.
Tools: Half a course of Hungarian three years ago, basic vocabulary (100-200 words)
and grammar (most common prefixes and suffixes and verb conjugations).
The main tools I'm using are E-books with text and audio, and manually added mouse-
over pop-up translation and integrated spaced repetition for practicing low frequency
words.
I'm using Pont books containing a summary of all the Hungarian grammar.
Status: I can fluently read the E-book Hungarian Fairytales, which I finished. I'm
able to recognize about 70% to 90% (depending on the page and the subject) in the E-
book Hungarian Short Stories, which I'm reading now.

I finished the second short story, called "A Pilóta", which contains quite a lot of
metaphors on flying a plane in the sky. It's quite dark but beautiful once you get the
whole story. Most of the words are known or familiar through root recognition, but
there's some new vocab and head words as well. Here's the total list of words learned
from this story:

aggódva,ajkamra,akarok,akarom,akarsz,akartam,akik,alattam,a ludtak,alólam,ami,amint,any
ám,apró,arc,arca,arcod,arcom,arcomba,arcomhoz,arcot,arcáb a,arcát,bősz,balkezem,balról,
balszárny,barna,beleakadt,belefutott,belelehelt,belepattant am,beleringott,berregni,ber
regésen,berregéséhez,bizonyos,bomlott
fel,bukfencezve,bámészkodtak,bánni,bús,cikázva,csavar,c savart,csavartam,csavaródtak,cs
illag,csillogott,csináltam,csipkefelhőbe,csipkevánkost,cs odálkozott,csuklóm,csönd,csúc
sba,dőlt,dőltem,dagadtak,dagadó,derekam,diadallal,domodos solában,drága,drótja,drótok,d
udorok,dugattyút,dunyhaszerűen,durcásan,dörömböltek,eg et,egyetlen,egyik,egyszeribe,egé
sz,egészen,elő,elől,előrecsavarta,előrehajoltam,előtt, előttem,elcsaptak,eleresztette,e
lfeketülő,elfolyó,elszalasztott,eltűnedeztek,eltűnt,eml ékeztem,erdő,eressz,ereszd,ezek
a,falu,fehéres,fehérség,fejem,fejemmel,fejteni,fejét,fek ete,feketék,fekszik,feküdt,fel
,felbukkantak,felcsaptam,felcsodálkoztak,felemelkedjen,felh ők,felhőn,feljebb,ferdült,f
eszült,figyeltem,fogantyún,fogd,fogsz,fogta,fogó,fogóra, fogót,folyt,folyó,fordul,fordu
ltak,forgathatod,forgatni,forrongott,forró,fuldokoltam,fuld okolva,furcsa,futott,fáradt
an,félelmesen,földet,fölfelé,följebb,fölött,fúltam,f ülledt,füstölgött,gomolygott,guban
colódott,gáz,gépem,gépet,görbülő,görcs,hagyd,hagyjam ,hagyta,hajrázó,hajó,hallgatóztam,
hallok-
e,hallom,halottam,halványnak,halványult,hangosan,hasonlít ott,határtalan,hebegtem,hegyo
ldal,hegyoldalon,helyben,hidegen,hirtelen,hohó,hol,homályo s,hosszúnak,hozzászokott,hur
kolták,hurkolódtak,háromszor,hátam,hátamra,húsz,igazga ttam,indultam
el,izzó,jaj,kőbe,kar,karika,karjai,karjait,keblével,kedve tlenül,kellemetlen,kellett,ke
mény,kerestem,keresztül,keresztülszakitani,ketté,kezdett ,kezeim,kezem,kezembe,kezemre,
kezével,ki,kiabáltam,kinyújtotta,kinyúltam,kitágult,kom or,koponyából,kormány,kormányt,
korongot,koszorúk,kusza,kábítasz,kábított,kék,kékség ,kétoldalt,ködbe,könny,könnyedén,k
örbefordulni,körvonalakban,köré,köröskörül,közeghez ,közt,köztem,között,kúszott,langyos
,lankás,lapot,lapályba,lapátot,lassan,le,lefelé,letolta, lett,levegőt,levágták,libegő,l
ibegtek,lihegte,lihegtem,lobogtatta,lobogással,lobogó,lomb jai,lyuk,lábai,lábaim,lábama
t,lábamra,lágy,lássuk,látszott,láttam
meg,madarat,madár,madáralakú,magam,magammal,magassági,ma kacskodtam,maradt,meddig,megin
t,megláttam,megnézem,megrepedt,megszorítottam,megveregett em,mellől,mellembe,mellettem,
mely,ment,meredt,mereven,mi,milyen,minden,mindjárt,mormogta m,mosolyognom,motor,motort,
mozgott,mélység,mérhetetlen,méternyire,mögött,nagyobbo dni,nagyobbodott,nagyrameresztve
,napfényben,napokig,nehéz,neked,nekem,nevetett,nevettem,ny akam,nyakamra,nyakát,nyitva,
nyúltam,négyszögű,néhány,nézd,néztem,odafektette,oda szorította,oldalra,oldalt,oly,ordí
tottam,orra,országút,orsó,parfüm,paripa,partot,percekig, percre,picike,pihékkel,pillana
tig,pillanatra,pillantottam
meg,pilóta,pléhkoponyájába,pokoli,pont,pontok,pántliká ján,párás,pörgött,ragyogott,rajt
a,redőnyt,reggel,remegő,remegtek,repedtek,repedésen,repü lj,repülni,repülsz,repültem,re
pülök,repülünk,reszelnék,rohant,roncsok,rozsföldön,ru háját,rájuk,rám,rángattam,rántott
am
meg,rézkupakja,sűrű,sűrűek,sehol,selyemlapba,sikoltott, simogatta,sivalkodó,sivított,si
vítva,sohase,suhogó,szabad,szakadék,szaladni,szegig,szegt e,szemeim,szemek,szemekkel,sz
emem,szerteszaladozott,sziklafal,sziklák,szivem,szivárgott ,szobát,szorongatta,szorosra
,szorították,szájam,szájamban,szárny,szárnyak,szédit ,szél,széles,szélrohamok,szélén,s
zép,szépnek,szívemben,szívósak,sárga,sárgán,sírva,s örényét,sötét,süvített,tűnt
fel,tapadt,tarkáztak,tart,tartott,taszítottam,tejszinű,te lehintve,tenger,testét,tetsze
m,torkom,torkomba,tudom,tudtam,táncolt,tárult,tátong,táv oli,tér,tévetegen,tíz,törött,t
ükörből,utolsó,vakító,valahonnan,valaki,valamit,valcer t,vannak,vaspántok,velő,vele,vel
em,vigyorgott,villogó,virágokat,visszalendült,voltak,volt am,vonal,vonalat,vonallal,vág
ódva,vállam,vászoncafrangja,vászonlapon,végtelenbe,vég telenül,vékony,vékonyak,zakatolv
a,zavaros,zihálni,zizegő,zugot,zuhanni,zuhogott,zászló,z ászlót,zörejt,Éjszakán,És,Így,
Órákig,Ölelj,állok,állt,álltak,árnyfolttal,árnyék, rnyékom,ásító,át,áthúzódott,átnyúlt
,áttetsző,ég,égre,éjszakában,ékszer,éles,énekelsz, nekelve,épp,éreztem,érzem,északi,íz
eket,óriás,óriási,öklöm,öklömmel,összeroncsolva,ös szeszaladt,újból,újra,úszott,ült,ülé
sbe,ünneplők,üresség,ütött,ütöttem

Story has 1033 total words, 602 words are unique and 435 "new" as in did not occur in
the last chapter or the Hungarian Fairy Tales book from the same program. However a
lot of these have headwords that were already learned, like for example zászló,zászlót
(flag), which occurred in the Fairy Tale of the Lover's Ghost (the soldiers gathered
under the king's flag). Others are made up of known headwords, like "nagyrameresztve
(great-onto-eye-ing, or rather "staring with wide open eyes"), or "igazgattam (right-
ed, or corrected)" or napfényben (day-light-in), etc. Some words that are new but easy
to remember for me like drótok (wires) sounding like it has same root as dutch "draad"
(probably not, but it helps memorizing). Etc etc.

Still practicing about 70 words in the integrated spaced repetition list while I read
the next chapter. The combination of immediate pop-up meaning, literal meanings so you
get to know more roots, and meeting different occurrences of those roots, enforces the
structural knowledge of the Hungarian language. Same as with a graded reader, but a
lot faster.

Kees
Nonaglot
Canada
learn-to-read-foreig
Joined 4973 days ago

37 posts - 59 votes 

Message 19 of 22
31 December 2015 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
I just tried to read John Grisham's "The Pelican Brief" in Hungarian,
"A Pelikán Ügyirat" again, with the English version next to it, and it's actually
possible now. I read four pages before I quit, in about 15 minutes. Still have to
puzzle a bit of course. But when I started this log it wasn't even remotely possible,
so it's quite an advancement I think. A lot of words I already learned by now or I can
recognize their root and deduce their meaning. I hope it's even easier after I finish
all the Hungarian Short Stories that I'm doing.

In fact a lot of words I can puzzle the meaning together, and if I meet them again I
know them almost immediately, so I think after finishing the Hungarian Short Stories
it's a question of getting through the first X number of pages to have reading go more
smoothly. But I'll see.

I'm about 33 hours into the Hungarian reading/listening study by now.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Kees
Nonaglot
Canada
learn-to-read-foreig
Joined 4973 days ago

37 posts - 59 votes 

Message 20 of 22
10 January 2016 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
Tools: Half a course of Hungarian three years ago, basic vocabulary (100-200 words)
The main tools I'm using for this session are E-books with text and audio, and
manually added mouse-over pop-up translation and integrated spaced repetition for
practicing low frequency words.
Status: I can fluently read the E-book Hungarian Fairytales, which I finished. I'm
able to recognize about 70% to 90% (depending on the page and the subject) in the E-
book Hungarian Short Stories, which I'm reading now. Currently finished the third
chapter.

The third chapter, "A debreceni csordás (the debrecen from cowherd)" is about a
cowherd trying to impress a servant girl with his trumpet play very early in the
morning. Her master isn't very fond of the music as he's still sleeping at that hour.
Anyway, the story has 1237 words, of which 603 unique, and 360 new as in compared to
earlier chapters and the Fairy Tale book. As you can see the readability percentage is
going up pretty fast. It's at 70% now without taking into account that most of the 360
"new" words have the same roots or are made up from the same headwords as words that I
have already learned. So I'm probably more likely at over 90% word comprehension at
the moment. See for example the different forms of "ablak (window)" which I had
already learned.

Őszel,őket,őt,abból,ablak,ablakom,ablakon,ablakot,ablak nak,akart,akarta,akasszanak
fel,aljas,aludni,alá,alól,amelyik,amilyen,amért,annak,ann yit,annál,arany,asszony,aszer
int,aszongyák,az a,az abból,azon,azzal,azzal
az,azért,baja,bajszát,baktatott,bakáéknál,barátom,be
szeretem,becsapta,behúzódott,belől,bele,belefújt,beletro mbitált,bement,bent,beszaladt,
bika,biztosan,bogárzik,boltozatos,boros,borzasztóan,bossz ság,botját,botot,bácsi,békét
,bújt,büszke,büszkén,civisnek,csakugyan,csapta,cserben,c sinált,csoda,csordába,csordáho
z,csordája,csordás,csordásbér,csordáslegény,csordásna k,csordásné,csordást,csordával,cs
ámpásan,cudar,darabontokkal,debrecenbe,derék,dohogva,dolg a,délelőtt,dörgölődik,dühösen
,dünnyögte,e,ebbe,együtt,ej,ejha,előkapta,elaludni,elbá mult,elfújta,elhozom,elhozta,el
menj,elment,eltalálta,elunta,elvette,elállt,elébe,esze,ez en,fattya,feje,felelt,felkötö
tt,fertályóráig,fiatal,figyelne,finom,fizetésekor,fiú,f olyton,fél,fényesítgette,fösvén
y,fújja,fújom,fújt,fújta,füle,fülembe,fülemre,gazdád dal,gazdáját,gazdájával,gazdámat,g
ondolkozott,gondolt,gyakorolta,gyönyörűséggel,hűséges, hadd,haggyon,hagyja,hagyná,hagyo
tt,hallatszik,hallgatta,hanem,hang,hangszerem,harmadik,hatal mas,hatvanhárom,hej,hetyké
n,hever,hitványabbnak,hiába,hm,holnap,hozzá,huszár,házn ál,ide,idevalósi,igaz,ijedten,i
llesztette,ingerülten,ingyen,innen,iskolát,italt,jámboran ,jány,jár,járt,jávor,jókor,jó
l,jóreggelt,jószághoz,jöjjön,jött,kőrösi,kacsintott, kapta,kapu,kapujukon,kapujához,kap
uján,kapukon,kapun,katonát,kedve,kedved,kegyetlenül,kerek ,kevés,kicsit,kifordultak,kih
arsogta,kikarikázott,kikezdeni,kinek,kint,kinézett,kisbojt árt,kissé,kiszolgált,kiáltot
t,kántor,kár,későn,kétszer,kísérheti,közben,közeled ett,közvetlen,különösen,lefújtak,le
gyen,legény,legényre,lehajtotta,lehetősen,lelkedet,lerond ítani,lopott,lány,lányból,lán
ynak,lányt,lánytól,látható,látva,lépkedett,magán,mag ának,magáé,marhát,marsot,megfordul
t,megjegyezte,megmondta,megpederte,megpüfölgette,megreszke ttette,megtáncoltatom,megy,m
egállj,melegszik,mellett,mennek,meri,mester,mihálynak,misk a,miskának,mondott,mormogott
,mutatni,mutatom,másnap,másvidéki,mégsem,méltatta,mére gtől,mérges,na,nap,nappal,nemzet
es,nevednapján,nosza,nyilt,nyílt,nyílt meg,nyírt,némítsa
meg,nézet,nóta,nótát,odabent,odaállt,oszlott
be,otthagyta,percig,perdült,persze,piszkolja,poharat,pohár ,pokol,potyára,pálinka,pálin
kával,pártjára,pásztornak,püspök,reggeli,rektor,rektor nak,reszketett,riadó,riadót,riko
ltott,rongyos,rossz,rutú,ránevetett,ránézett,régen,rég i,réztrombitája,réztrombitát,röv
idre,sarkonfordult,sarokra,sem,semmi,siet,sokszor,soká,sora kozót,sorba,sorra,suta,szők
e,szűre,szabolcsban,szabolcsmegyei,szakállába,szalajtotta ,szaruba,szarvából,szava,szeb
b,szemeláttára,szemközti,szemmel,szeretem,szerint,szidni, szilvapálinkát,szilvórium,szá
jához,szívű,szól,szóljon,sértve,sózta,süket,takarod t,tanitó,tanító,tanítóék,tegnap,te
hene,tehenek,tehén,tehénnek,tehénnel,tele,természete,tet szett,tizedik,trombita,trombit
aszót,trombitálni,trombitálta,trombitás,trombitát,tromb itával,tréfásan,tu,tud,tudja,tu
dja meg,tudják,tudniillik,tudott,tutújja meg,táncoltasson
meg,távolodó,többet,többi,tömlöcébe,tú,túú,túúú ,tülköddel,tülködet,tülköli,tülkölésre,
tülkölést,tülkömhöz,tülök,tülökbe,tülökjét,tül ökszaru,tülöktrombitát,ugyan,urát,utcai,
utcán,utoljára,utána,vagyunk,való,vidáman,vigasztalta,v ilágot,visszatrombitált,vitetle
k,vágott,vágta,várakozást,város,városban,várta,végre ,véres,víg,vígabban,vígan,Éles,Ért
ek,Ó,ágyam,ágyban,ágyában,állani,állatok,álljon,áll na,állva,álmosan,álnok,álnokul,ámul
dozó,átkozott,égzengés,éjjel,éjszaka,ép,éppen,érezt e,érte,érzi,érzésért,öntötte,öreg,ö
römét,örült,úr,üvegtábla,üvegtáblákat

I was extremely busy with other stuff the last couple of weeks, but just reading and a
little word practice doesn't take up too much time so I can still advance. I'm
probably up from 20% to 90% word comprehension in about 37 hours since starting this
extensive reading combined with spaced repetition study session.

Kees
Nonaglot
Canada
learn-to-read-foreig
Joined 4973 days ago

37 posts - 59 votes 

Message 21 of 22
12 January 2016 at 4:58am | IP Logged 
I sidetracked today and read the first four chapters of "Fifteen Short Stories
(Tizenőt Elbeszélés), by Radányi László". It's a dual language book, meant for
Hungarians learning English, but I'm using it to learn Hungarian. Before (the past two
years) I just got stuck immediately at all the words or roots I didn't know. Today I
went through it like butter through a knife, ehh a knife through butter, but the
stories are probably a tad easier than the word-for-word pop-up translated Hungarian
Short Stories that I'm doing using extensive reading + SRS + audio method (a bit like
L+R I guess).

It did take a bit of re-reading though, with slow recognition of words through their
roots, of the first two chapters, and then it went pretty smooth. I think reading
something else than the "intensive/extensive/SRS" stories I'm doing is helping the
root recognition process very much.

So looks like I'm really a more than intermediate reader now of Hungarian, I hope that
by the time I finish the 150 page Hungarian Short Stories I'm ok for the Hungarian
Grisham.

Kees
Nonaglot
Canada
learn-to-read-foreig
Joined 4973 days ago

37 posts - 59 votes 

Message 22 of 22
28 January 2016 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
The main tools I'm using for this session are E-books with text and audio, and
manually added mouse-over pop-up translation and integrated spaced repetition for
practicing low frequency words.
Status: I can Hungarian kids books or fairy tales. I'm almost finished with a course
teaching to read Hungarian Short Stories and the 3000 unique words that go with it.

The third chapter, "Az Elégtetel (The satisfaction)" is about a guy who's living sort
of in hiding in a small town, after he worked as a bank or postal clerk and lost a
load of money and he's accused of theft. In the end the money is found back but if
this changed a lot for him? Anyway, the story is 1405 words in total, has 779 unique
words, of which 491 are new compared to earlier chapters and the Fairy Tales course.

Of those 491 I knew a lot because they were forms of words earlier learned, and others
I learned fast through root recognition, while the more difficult ones I mastered
using just re-reading the story and using spaced repetition.

As you can see I'm quitting with the new Hungarian words list thing as I'm mega busy
now working on an cross-platform App version in which all of these e-books should be
available in a later stage with option interlinear and/or pop-up, and the same spaced
repetition word practice. Here's a preview of the initial library screen and choosing
an owned (in color) book (gray would be available in the shop):

I have a prototype on my Samsung Android doing the Hungarian Short Stories and it
helps a lot with the studying as the content is much more dynamic and available on the
smartphone.

Edited by Kees on 28 January 2016 at 10:21pm

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version