Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
22 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
Kees
Nonaglot
Canada
learn-to-read-foreig
Joined 4974 days ago

37 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, Swedish, French, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Hungarian

Message 9 of 22
23 November 2015 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I don't like SRS at all, but as I've been doing mostly extensive
reading and I'm stuck at B1 for most of my languages, I am more and more convinced
that I need some intensive reading, even 1 page a day, from a different source than
the one I read extensively from.

If you use texts with pop-up translation like on readlang and bliu bliu, and repeat
the text every two days or whatever, then you're doing a kind of extensive-intensive
reading and consequently spaced repetition of the words that you don't know, and
eventually you remember them, and the association is better than with flash cards in
my own experience. Only problem I have with those sites is that it's not mouse-over
and the words not always translated or translated correctly.

I find the repetition of re-reading of and listening to a story at the same time and
looking up the words with mouse-over immediate pop-up translation a pretty fast
experience and I'm memorizing words quickly that way. The Hungarian Short Stories that
I still have to do used to be gibberish to me but because I almost finished the
Hungarian Fairy Tales and memorized a lot of words (and consequently am better in
recognizing roots) I can now probably comprehend 80% and 10% is probably easy to
learn, leaving for the integrated SRS or just by re-reading 10% of the words and less
towards continuing the book as I learn more roots.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Kees
Nonaglot
Canada
learn-to-read-foreig
Joined 4974 days ago

37 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, Swedish, French, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Hungarian

Message 10 of 22
25 November 2015 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
Goal: Read and understand Hungarian fluently.
Tools: Half a course of Hungarian three years ago, basic vocabulary (100-200 words)
and grammar (most common prefixes and suffixes and verb conjugations).
The main tools I'm using are E-books with text and audio, and manually added mouse-
over pop-up translation and integrated spaced repetition for practicing low frequency
words.
I'm using Pont books containing a summary of all the Hungarian grammar.
Status: I can fluently read the E-book Hungarian Fairytales, which I finished. I'm
able to recognize about 70% to 90% (depending on the page and the subject) in the E-
book Hungarian Short Stories, which I'm about to start now.

I finished the chapter called Jó Tett Helyébe Jót Várj (Good Deed Place-its-in Good
Waits, or rather something like A Good Deed Awaits Good (Reward)). It's got 2903 words
in total, of which 910 are unique (did not occur in previous chapters). See those
words below. As you can see if you're already versed in Hungarian there's a high
number of words that have roots which were already learned in earlier chapters and are
comprehensible. I think about 700. For the rest more than half are learned easily
because they either occur a few times in the text or because they're easy to learn in
context (more about that below). Leaves about 70 words to practice a bit more using
spaced repetition.

őrizzék, őrá, űzte, abban, ablaka, adjanak, adjunk, adtak, adunk, aggódnod, ahonnan,
ajtón, ajánlja, akarja, akarunk, akasztják, akármennyire, akármilyen, alattunk, alig,
alighogy, aludt, aludtál, ameddig, amelyben, amelyik, amelynek, amennyiben, amilyet,
amint, annál, anyjuk, anyjuktól, apjuktól, apraja, apránként, arca, arcát, arra a,
attól, az a, az égen, azelőtt, aznap, azon, azonnal, azt a, azzal, baj, bal, barátom,
barázdák, bedörzsölhesse, beesteledett, bejelentette, bejutniuk, beköszöntött,
belesárgult, belépett, bement, bennem, beszélgetését, beszélve, bevágtatott, bezárták,
bizony, bizonygatta, bizonyára, biztatta, boldog, boldogságban, borzasztóan,
bosszantotta, botlott, bájos, bámulta, bánatos, bár, bármiben, bármikor, bátorság,
bátyja, bátyjai, bátyjába, békében, békésen, bízván, bízz, búcsút, búslakodott,
cipójukból, cipóját, cipót, cipóért, csűrbe, csapda, csepegtetett, cseppet, csináljon,
csinálnánk, csodálatos, csodálatosabb, csodálkozott, csodálkoztak, csodálkozásukban,
csodálkozását, csodálta, csodát, csorgatott, csöndes, cölöp, darab, darabkáért,
darabot, derűsen, dologban, dús, dühükben, egerét, egy hegytetőre, egy olyan, egyből,
egybekeltek, egyedül, egyenesen, egyetértek, egyéb, együk meg, egér, egérke, egész,
egészséges, egészségesek, egészségesen, ehette, előkeríteni, elől, előtte, előző,
elűzöd, elaludt, elbukott, elbájoló, elbántak, elcsúfították, elhagyja, elhagyod,
elhatározták, elkeseredettebbnek, elkúszott, elmehet, elmenekülni, elmondja,
elrabolja, elrejteni, elrepült, elszaladt, elszomorodott, eltörjük, eltörte,
eltüntette, elvette, elégedett, elém, elérte, ennivalót, ennyi, ennél a, erős, erősek,
erősen, erőt, erőtlen, erőtlenül, ereje, errefelé, estig, estével, ezekre, ezelőtt,
ezret, ezt, ezután, ezzel a, fűbe, fűben, fűre, falai, falták, farkas, farkasok,
farkasokat, farkason, farkassal, farkast, farkasát, fatuskóra, fejét, feladat,
feladatot, felemelte, felesége, felfogni, felismerte, felkerekedtek, felkúszott,
felszántott, feltétellel, feléje, ferkó, ferkónak, ferkóra, ferkót, ferkótól,
ferkóval, fiatalabbnak, fiuk, fivérei, fivéreinek, fivérek, fizetnem, fiúk, fiúknak,
fiúnak, fiúra, fogait, fognak, fogsz, folytonosan, fordulva, fordulván, forró, furcsa,
futva, fájó, fán, fára, fél királyságom, félelmükben, félelmüket, féltek,
féltékenység, földeken, földön, fülvirág, füvön, gabona, gabonája, gabonáját, gabonát,
gazember, gazemberek, gondolkodsz, gondolkodás, gondolt, gonosz, győzött, gyűjtenem,
gyűjtse, gyűjtötték, gyűjtöttük, gyaloglásban, gyenge, gyerekeikről, gyerünk,
gyógyfürdőre, gyógyító, gyógyítójának, gyötrelmeit, hűvös, hűvösebb, hagyja, hagytak,
hajjal, hajtott, hajtsd, hal, hallaná, hallasz, hallotta, halomba, halomban, halál,
halálos, halálra, hangulatban, haragja, harmadik, harmat, harmatcseppektől, harmattal,
harmatával, határát, hegy, hegyek, hegyen, hegynek, hegyre, helyes, helyet, helyezte,
helyre, helyzetből, helyébe, heveredett, hihetetlenül, hitt, hitvese, hitvány, holló,
hollók, holtsápadttá, hordták, hullatott, hál, hálám, hálás, hátamra, hátsó, hátán,
hátára, hívatta, ibolya, idegen, idegent, ifjút, ijesztően, illatával, illatú,
indulniuk, inkább, irigy, irigység, irigységbe, irányt, ismételgették, istennek, jaj,
javaslattal, javaslatától, javaslom, javasoljatok, jelen, jelenlévőt, jelentette,
jeléül, jobban, jó, jót, jácintok, jókedvűen, jóképű, jóllehet, jószívű, jóságodat,
jótevőjének, jótevőm, jóvágású, jövőben, jövök, kapsz, karmazsinrózsa, kaszálva,
kedveli, kedvelt, kegyetlenül, keltettek, kenyered, kenyeret, kenyerét, kenyérért,
keresztül, kergesse, kerülhetne, keserves, keservesebben, keservesen, kettő,
kettéhasította, kevesebb, kezdve, kifáradtak, kimerült, kimondta, kioltsuk, királlyá,
király lánya, királyhoz, királylány, királylányra, királylányt, királyon, királyra,
királyság, királyságba, királyságban, királyságom, királyságot, királyságában,
kisegeret, kisegér, kisegéren, kiszabadította, kitalálunk, kitartása, kiutat,
kivonult, kivégeztetni, kiáltotta, komor, koplalt, kopogtatója, kora, koronázták,
korától, kék, kényelembe, képzelte, kész, készült, készültek, kételkedett, kétség,
kétségbeesetten, kívánod, kívánt, kószált, könnyekben, könnyeket, könyörgött,
könyörögve, körbefutotta, környéknél, körüli, köszönetet, köszönhetően, köttesse fel,
közeledik, közeli, közül, kúszni, külseje, küszöbén, lassan, legbarátságosabban,
legelső, legszebb, lehanyatlott, lehessek, lehető, lehetek-e, lehetetlen, lehetne,
leheveredett, lehunyhatott volna, lennie, lenyugodott, lenyugszik, lesántítsák,
levegő, liliom, lábadat, lábai, lábain, lábait, lábon, lábra, lábánál, lábára, lábát,
lássa, lásson, láthasson, láthat, látták, látványtól, légy, létező, létezik, lógni,
lógnia, madár, magadban, magas, maguknak, marad, maradj, maradt, maró, meg kell
halnia, meg kell tennie, megbabonázott, megdöbbent, megengeded, megengedte, megette,
megetted, megfürdik, meggyógyult, meggyógyítom, meggyógyította, meggyógyítottad,
meghal, meghaladja, meghálálni, meghálálom, megismételték, megjelent, megkaphatod,
megkímélem, megkívánok, meglepődött, meglátta, meglátták, meglátván, megmenekült,
megmentette, megmosta, megnyerő, megnyomorították, megparancsolta, megpihentetheti,
megrövidítette, megsajnálta, megszabadulhatnak, megszabadulhatnánk, megsérült,
megtelt, megteszi, megtette, megtöltött, megvakítsák, megvigasztalódhatsz,
megvilágítva, megáldotta, megéhezett, mehetnénk, mellső, melyen, menteni, merre,
messzire, mező, mezőhöz, mezőkön, mezőn, mezőre, mialatt, min, mindegyiküknek,
mindhárman, mindjárt, minél, miénkből, mióta, mohón, mohóságáért, mondani, mondd meg,
mondom, mondott, mondtak, mondták, morzsát, mossa meg, mostaninál, munkában, munkához,
mágiája, mágiájának, mártotta, mártóztatnia, más, máshol, másiktól, mégis, méh,
méhecske, méhet, méhkirálynő, méhkirálynőt, mély, mélyen, mérgesebb, mögött, nőttön,
nagyja, nagyobb, napnyugta, napon, napot, napra, napraforgóból, nedves, nehezet,
nehéz, nehézségből, nekidőlt, nekik, no, nyomban, nyugodtan, nyíl, nyíltak,
nyögdécselni, nyújtotta, nárciszból, nélküle, nézett, nézni, növelte, odakiáltott,
odalent, olyannyira, orcával, országomat, országot, otthagyták, otthonukba, padlóját,
palackot, palota, palotánál, palotát, panaszkodott, pattanva, percet, perzselően,
pihentek, pillanat, pillanatra, pompás, próbálni, próbát, puha, párnáját, például,
rabolni, ragadtatva, ragyogott, rakja, raknom, reggelig, reggelre, remegtek, reményt,
rendkívülibb, repültek, rád, rémület, rémületében, rémültek, része, réten, rétre,
rólam, saját, sas, se, segítek, segíteni, segíthetek-e, segítsenek, segítségedre,
segítségre, segítségére, semmit, senki, sietett, sietve, sikerének, sikerülhetett,
sorsát, sugaraival, suttogta, szabadon, szaladj, szavaiban, szavaik, szavakra, szebb,
szegeződött, szegfűből, szegények, szeletke, szelíd, szem, szembe, szeme, szemed,
szememnek, szempillantás, szemvillanás, szemére, szemét, szemével, szemük,
szerencsében, szerencséjét, szerencsénk, szeretnél, szeretném, szidták, szinte,
szolgálatába, szolgálatát, szál, szállt, száma, számít, számíthat, szárnyam,
szárnyára, szárnyát, szégyentelenül, széléig, szívében, szívén, szólnál, szökkent,
szülők, szürkület, sántikált, sérült, sírt, sújtva, sütött, tűrte, tűzött,
tajtékzottak, talpon, találgatta, találjunk, találkozott, tartományának, tarts ki,
tavat, telepedett, telesírta, teljesíted, teljesíteni, teljesítenie, teljesíti,
teljesítésére, teljesült, teljében, temette, tengernyi, tenni, tennie, teremtmény,
tervük, testvére, testvérei, testvéreihez, testvéreit, testvérek, testvérhez,
testvérnek, testvérre, testvérüket, teteje, tettél, tisztábban, toporzékoltak, torkos,
toronyba, toronyban, tovairamodott, tovarepült, továbbra, tud, tudna, tudnál, tudnám,
tudod, tudok-e, tudtak, tudván, tulipánokból, táruló, tó, tóhoz, többet, töltötte,
tönkreteszik, törte, törve, törött, tündöklő, tüstént, udvar, udvartartásra, vagyok,
vak, valaha, valahogy, valamiben, van-e, varázsló, varázslónál, veled, veszélyes,
vetette, vetették, vette, vettek, vezesd, vidáman, villogtatva, világon, világot,
világtalan, világát, virágok, virágokból, viselkedtek, viselte, visszafizethetem,
visszajöjjön, viszont, viszonzott, vonszolta, vonta, vonyításba, várj, vádolnak,
válaszolt, válaszolták, vállalom, vándorolt, várnak, város, városfalon, végezve,
végezzék ki, véghezvittél, végre, végtagjait, véletlenül, vízből, vízbe, vízzel,
zseni, zárják, zümmögve, állj, éhezhetsz, én, építtessen, örülök, össze, összehívtam,
újra, áldotta, áll, állja, álltak, állított, álló, ármányos, árnyas, árnyékába,
átkozta, átlépte, ébren, édes, égeti, éhen, éhes, éhező, éhség, éhséget, éj, élesen,
életedet, életemmel, életre, életében, építenem, építi, építményről, építtette, épült,
érdekébe, érezte, érkezett, értékes, érzékeny, észrevették, évekkel, ítélet, ítéllek,
öccse, öccsük, öccsüknek, önfeledten, ördögi, örökre, örömtől, örülni, örülök,
összegyűjteni, összehívta, összeset, újabb, útját, ücsörgött, ült, üvöltve

I'm probably well on my way to fluent reading and listening, and it's been very easy.
I'll explain here.

To summarize, you start with a regular language course, or check out an online site
with a description of the language, and find out what kind of grammatical components
it has, and you get some grammar books and look for a grammar chart. This gives you an
understanding of the language and more importantly the rules that dictate word
inflection, prefixes and suffixes. That is, only understand that there are rules,
don't rote learn them. You will automatically acquire them when reading. So yes that's
the next step, find reading material which is ideally manually correctly pop-up or
interlinear translated in context and makes reading a foreign language an immersive
experience. The essence is that when you read the foreign language any look up time or
action is negligable. You will need to read and re-read a page a few times and
consequently look up words on it, so that process needs to be as simple and fast as
possible.

Here's some sites for this (only massive texts with pop-up or interlinear meanings
added here, or the whole idea doesn't work, trust me):
ReadLang
Bliu Bliu
Interlinear Books
My own that I use, get it here (it's free, there's a link in the footer on how to get the
material)

Once you determined the material the main method comes down to this. You will spend
30-60 hours reading and re-reading (and listening to) stories in the foreign language
of your choice, and practicing any low frequency words, and all this in a spaced
repetition interval. So day one you read and re-read your first few pages a few times,
and day two you do it again and any words you find very difficult to remember, you add
to spaced repetition practice. Then you also add some pages to your reading and
continue this way reading and re-reading day by day until you finish the story.
Eventually what will happen is that you will memorize the words just by reading and
some practice, you will also learn root recognition as a lot of words have the same
roots, and you will notice how they are conjugated or inflected or have prefixes or
suffixes added and you have your grammar chart or books to quickly check anything if
necessary. Finally by reading enough material, generally a total of 15,000 to 50,000
words (depends on the language) worth of texts, you'll have mastered enough headwords,
the possible forms of this vocabulary and the structure of the language, to be able to
read independently.

Something I noticed is that if I started bare word spaced repetition practice too
early, that I would have a larger amount of words in my personal word list, which was
more difficult to practice. The thing is that just by re-reading a text with correct
and in context word-for-word translation, you will practice the words in context,
which is much better for memorization. However for a word with a root that occurs only
once, it's better to add separate spaced repetition practice as well. It is really
super easy to learn the meaning of words which are part of a word-for-word translated
text, you learn them just by re-reading, and it gives you a powerful feeling that you
can read an actual text as well!

Tomorrow I'll start the Hungarian Stort Shories in earnest. It's got the following
chapters with text and audio:

A LÓFIÓ by Zsigmond Móricz (1024 words)
A PILÓTA by Frigyes Karinthy (1033 words)
A DEBRECENI CSORDÁS by Zsigmond Móricz (1237 words)
AZ ELÉGTÉTEL by Ambrus Zoltán (1405 words)
A VÉGEK JULIJA by Zsigmond Móricz (1769 words)

Edited by Kees on 25 November 2015 at 6:48pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Kees
Nonaglot
Canada
learn-to-read-foreig
Joined 4974 days ago

37 posts - 59 votes 

Message 11 of 22
26 November 2015 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
Part I - Summary of Learning To Read and Understand Hungarian

Finished Hungarian Fairy Tales text

Learning Milestones: 26Oct-30Oct-04Nov-12Nov-19Nov-26Nov
Hours   spent...............4........3....... .4........4........5... ... ...6
Total Words   Read........450......607......709.... ..708......1233....2903
Unique   Words*..........250......239......29 6......324.......472..... 910
Easy (Root-deduced)**...140.....139......206......244.......302.. ...700
Average (Learned Fast)***.70......70.......60.......50.......100.....140
Difficult****.................40......30.......30.......30.. ..... .70......70
*as opposed to earlier chapters read, and also these are not all roots/headwords
**easy words have same headword as already learned words or were part of basic vocab
already known
***average words with recognizable root or otherwise easier to learn
****long words or without any hint as to root

Reason for learning fast:
- long coherent fun stories (i.e. extensive reading)
- immediate correct pop-up translation (enabling immersion while reading)
- spaced repetition practice, e-book integrated word lists show me which words to
repeat
- check on true permanent retention (making sure of almost 100% retention)
- association supported word learning (they're always part of a story)
- root recognition learning (by reading and seeing meanings and recognizing similar
roots your brain is trained to do this faster and better and easier each time).
- hours are spent reading and repeating in as far necessary, so 100% efficient, not in
slow class format or trying to absorb a lesson (unnatural for brain imho)

Math:
Words read: text totalling 6642 words, on average 15 times; time spent about 20 hours
Words learned: 2518 unique words, 1500-200 headwords, 700-1000 roots, probably can
recognize ten thousands of words by learning in context only a fraction of that.
Recognizing on average about 80% to 90% of the words in the Short Stories because I
know headwords/roots.
Repetition test time: 2 seconds per word, every Easy word (1731) repeated 3 times,
Average (490) 6 times, Difficult (270) x 12 = 5+ hrs
Total time spent about 25 hours, with some spaced repetition of difficult words in
word list to follow.

Conclusion:
Can't read fluent yet but when skimming the similar pop-up translation and spaced
repetition powered E-Book Hungarian Short Stories it is not as much gibberish as
before, but I still see a lot of unknown words with unknown roots so not near fluency
yet. I hope to achieve some sort of fluency, or at least to be able to read the
Grisham bestseller, in part II of the challenge, using the above-mentioned e-book
Hungarian Short Stories with pop-up translation of every word and spaced repetition
practice, so I'll be reading long texts and repeating words again, essentially.

Peculiar (maybe obvious to others) is that some difficult/unknown roots were learned
easily:
- unique words in very visual sentences that have at least half of the words known are
learned fast by association, example
"Az erdőt elhagyván egy hatalmas sziklához jutottak, melynek moha borította csúcsa
meredeken az égbe emelkedett.
(The forest leaving a huge rock-with arrived, which-to moss covered peak steeply the
sky-into rose).
- unique words without any familiar root like búzaliszt (wheat flour) learned fast
because they're sticking out so much from the other words

Since difficult roots will only have a very visual association or something that makes
them stick out in a story, these last peculiarities are one argument in favor of
learning to read and understand while doing extensive reading (which sounds pretty
obvious, but 99% of learners don't do this).

Edited by Kees on 26 November 2015 at 3:27pm

Kees
Nonaglot
Canada
learn-to-read-foreig
Joined 4974 days ago

37 posts - 59 votes 

Message 12 of 22
08 December 2015 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
Some news on my Hungarian language log; I deferred starting with the Hungarian Short
Stories as I discovered the Grimm stories in Hungarian on Gutenberg, and instead of
starting with the more advanced stories I stayed on the fairytale level and started to
read Grimm's fairytales in Hungarian, totalling about 60,000 words.

Here's the link for anyone interested in learning Hungarian who got themselves to the
"fairytales" or "childrens books" level, so to speak:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/40088/40088-h/40088-h.htm

After finishing with the Hungarian Fairytales with pop-up translation and spaced
repetition I was still surprised that I was now able to read those stories by Grimm
translated into Hungarian. Of the first story of about 1,300 words I had to look up
only a fraction.

Anyway I still keep to the "extensive reading combined with spaced repetition" method
and I've turned the above Gutenberg file into a Word doc with comments on the words
that I looked up, so I can revisit and practice them enough times to memorize them as
well. For the rest it is helping immensely to read a lot of texts because words and
word collocations that I did memorize but which I still didn't feel comfortable
recognizing immediately with, I'm now starting to read more and more fluently as I
encounter them in different sentences and stories. I guess that's the advantage of
extensive reading.

If anyone is interested in any of the material I used, just let me know and I'll mail
it to them.

Kees
Nonaglot
Canada
learn-to-read-foreig
Joined 4974 days ago

37 posts - 59 votes 

Message 13 of 22
23 December 2015 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Goal: Read and understand Hungarian fluently.
Tools: Half a course of Hungarian three years ago, basic vocabulary (100-200 words)
and grammar (most common prefixes and suffixes and verb conjugations).
The main tools I'm using are E-books with text and audio, and manually added mouse-
over pop-up translation and integrated spaced repetition for practicing low frequency
words.
I'm using Pont books containing a summary of all the Hungarian grammar.
Status: I can fluently read the E-book Hungarian Fairytales, which I finished. I'm
able to recognize about 70% to 90% (depending on the page and the subject) in the E-
book Hungarian Short Stories, which I'm about to start now.

I finished reading a collection of Grimm Fairytales in Hungarian, to strengthen my
intermediate Hungarian skills. Now it's time to start with the Hungarian Short
Stories, which contain more complex Hungarian (not in the least because they're pretty
old, when authors didn't write yet as if they were trying to get a movie from their
book).

I encountered the following unique words:
, a, ambrus, az, csordás, debreceni, elbeszélések, elégtétel, frigyes, julija,
karinthy, loading, lófió, magyarok, móricz, picture, pilóta, tartalomjegyzék, végek,
zoltán, zsigmond, Ő, ő, ősszel, űzőbe, abba, abban az, adná, adott, aggyisten, ahogy,
ajánlom, akadt, akar, akarna, akasztotta, aki, akit, akkor, alatt, alig, amit, angol,
atyám, azok, azonban, azt, aztán, azután, bőréből, barátságosan, be, befordult,
belegázolt, beszédet, betyár, betyárral, bevárta, biz, bizony, biztosabb,
bádogcsörgő, bámészkodó, bánja, bátyám, bírna, bólogatott, cimborája, csődörei, csak,
csalogatták, családod, csavargatva, csendbiztosnak, csendesen, csikaja, csikóhoz,
csikót, csináljak, csináljon, csinálok, csunya, csutakolta, csörgőt, csúffá,
cudarkodik, darab, de, deresbajszú, dióból, dohányzacskót, délre, döglött, egy, egye,
egyem meg, egyet, egyhuzamban, egyre, egyszer, egyszerre, el, először, elővette,
elborulva, elgondolkozott, elhallgatott, elhallgattak, elkantározott, ellenben,
ellette, ellop, első, elszánta, ember, emberhez, emlegeti, ennek, ennek a,
eresztette, erre, erzsi, erzsus, erzsusnak, esztendőkig, esztendőre, esztendős,
eszébe, ez, ez a, ez az, ezek, ezrest, ezt, ezt a, ezt az, ezt ni, ezért, faluhoz,
farkasnak, fehér, fejére, felcsapok, felkacagott, fellovalt, felsőtiszaháti,
felsülése, felvont, felét, fene, fog, foga, fogadta, fogja, forma, formája, formáját,
félszájjal, féltelkes, földnek, földről, fölvetette, gazda, gazdát, gondolatára,
gondoltam, gróf, gusztálta, gyarmaton, gyarmatra, gyenge, gyerekem, gyuri, gyurka,
gyurkának, gyékényt, gázolták, görbe, ha, hajszára, hajtogatta, hallgatagon, hallod-e,
hallottam, halt meg, halvány, hamar, hamarosan, hangon, harmatos, haszon, határ,
hazafelé, hazamenne, hegyesen, helyről, hinni, hiszen, hogy, holtig, honnan, honnan
való, hoztam, három, hát, héj, hírű, híres, hírhedt, hírt, hónap, hú, húgom, időben,
idős anya, ideig, igen, igyekezni, ilyen, indulni, inni, intett, is, ismerős, isten,
istenem, istennek, istenáldás, itt, jobb, járnak, játékszert, jó, jó egészséget,
jókedvűen, jókenyér, jószág, jószágát, kalapja, kaplonyi, kapna, kapná meg,
karimájához, kebelébe, kedves, kedvéért, kell, kelmeddel, kend, kendőt, kendet,
kendnél, keressen, keresztlányomnak, kerülgetjük, került, kettő, kettőnek, kettőt,
kettővel, kibújik, kicsoda, kievickéltek, kifelé, kis, kisarban, kisari, kisarias,
kisebbik, kitéve, kivett, kivádolt, kivántam, kocogott, kocsordi, kocsordiban,
komolyan, kondás, konok, korcból, károlyi, károlyiak, kérdezte, két, köhögött,
könnyen, köszönt, közelebb, közelről, közé, közül, labdázni, latyakba, legalább,
legelső, legények, lehet, lehetne, lehiggadt, lenni, lent, lesz, leszállt, lettem,
leugrott, lovagolva, lováról, lánya, lányodnak, lányom, látni, látná, látott,
láttam, látták, lélegzett, léptette, lófijó, lófió-t, lóhoz, lóháton, lókötő,
lóról, lószerető, ma, maga, magában, magáról, magát, majd, maradok, mari, markot, meg,
meg-e, megbékélt, meghalt, meghiszem, megházasodtam, megismerték, megtette, megtudja,
megtöltötte, megveregette, megvirradt, megzörgette, megállott, megér, megérdemli,
menjen, menni, mentegetőzött, mentek, mert, mertek, messze, messzi, messziről,
mesterséged, mezőn, micsoda, mikor, mind, mindegy, mindenki, mindig, minek, mint,
mintha, mire, mit, miért, mocsárba, mocsárból, mondják, mondom, mondta, mondtam,
mosolygott, most, mustrálta, muszáj, már, másik, máskor, másra, másszor, még, mégis,
méneket, ménes, méneséből, míg, múlt, nagy, nagyobbik, nagyon, ne, neki, nekik, nem,
no, nyalka, nyeregbe, nyúlt, nádat, néha, nénjének, nézte, nézték, oda, odaintett,
odavalósi, odaért, olyan, olyat, ott, pajtásának, pandur, pandúr, pandúrnak, pandúrok,
parasztbetyár, parasztló, parasztokat, paroláztak, pedig, pipát, pironkodott, piros,
pofáját, pompás, próbálkozásra, puha, puskát, puskával, pántos, pénz, pénzen,
reszkető, rikkantott, ritkaság, rokona, rá, rámeredt, réti, rögtön, s, sajnáld,
sajnálta, sarat, se, semmije, senkije, sikerült, sincs, sok, sokat, sose, sulymos,
summa, szappanbuborékkal, szegény, szembe, szeme, szemlélte, szemtől, szemöldökkel,
szemüknek, szerencsét, szerettem, szittyót, szomszédos, száraz, szárazbetegségben,
százast, szépen, szólt, szót, szóval, szülőföldjére, síkon, sógor, sógorságban,
sóhajtott, sós, süllyedjek, tőle, tagadja, tagadnám, találkoztam, tapsikolni, tarka,
tartottak, tavasszal, te, tegye, teher, terelte, terem, termett, természetem,
természetes, testvérét, testvéröccsét, teszi, tett meg, tiszaparti, tisztavérü,
tisztásra, tizenhat, tovább, tudta, tulajdonos, társára, térvén, többit, tönkre, ugye,
ujjai, ujjával, ura, uraim, urakat, uralkodott, utat, után, vagy, vagyok, valami, van,
velük, veres, vetette, vette, vették, vidd el, vigye, villant, világ, világon, vinni,
vissza, visszanézett, visszaszólt, vizeket, volna, volt, vállra,
vármegyét, végig, vélte, vér, zsidó, zöld, zúgott, él, én, Úgy, ácsorgó, áldja meg,
áldjon, állnának, állotta, árokba, édes, éktelen, életet, életében, élni, én, ért,
értek, és, ésszel, így, óvatosan, öcsém, ökölre, öntelten, ördög,
örömében, összekapott, ötlött, úgy, útat, üldözőit, ütni

Those are the 576 unique words for this chapter (the total number of words is 1024). A
lot of them I have already learned. Of the unique words, 406 are new compared to the
Hungarian Fairytales, quite a high percentage I must say, however most of these have
roots that I already learned with the Hungarian Fairytales, so I either could deduce
their meaning by myself, or learn them easily.

The difficult words are automatically added to the spaced repetition system integrated
with the e-book. I'm using a daily practice and re-reading schedule to master the
words and also understanding Hungarian (by listening to the story).

Edited by Kees on 23 December 2015 at 7:19pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 22
23 December 2015 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I don't like SRS at all, but as I've been doing mostly extensive reading and I'm stuck at B1 for most of my languages, I am more and more convinced that I need some intensive reading, even 1 page a day, from a different source than the one I read extensively from.

Not to hijack the thread, but this stood out to me now.. why from a different source? Aside from the practical issues like the availability of annotated and/or translated texts :)

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4956 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 15 of 22
26 December 2015 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
Because it doesn't make much sense (or fun) to read 1 page intensively and then 3, 4 or more extensively from the same source (though I admit I've done this but not willingly). As in Estonian: I read the texts in the textbook intensively, then I read a novel in parallel; as for Mandarin, I listen-read a graded reader intensively and I read with pop-up a novel from Dan Brown. I also have vocabulary from multiple sources as the texts are not related, sometimes it's even fiction X non-fiction.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 16 of 22
27 December 2015 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
Hmm and in my experience it's fun and helpful :O Often reading a small part intensively can help you understand the rest of the story. And frequently I'm not interested in reading the whole story in detail, but dig a bit deeper with the parts that interest me most.
So incredible how much people vary. Good luck to the OP!

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version