Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Miners: Where do you get sentences from?

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
9 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
cod2
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4356 days ago

48 posts - 69 votes 

Message 1 of 9
30 March 2015 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
Question to 10,000 sentence miners who have been mining sentences seriously for at least 3 years:

I wanted to know where you get your sentences from. I extensive-read L2 books and newspapers, and I don't want to stop and mine sentences because that ruins the flow completely. I watch/listen to a lot of L2 material, but once again, my focus is on the listening/watching and not on mining. Also most of the A/V materials don't have subtitles because if I only watch subtitled videos then my choices get severely limited.

Sure, I'd usually note down words that really catch my attention, but I generally do no more when reading/listening/watching.

So that leaves me mining from only dictionaries. Which I really don't like doing any more. I feel I should be mining more from native L2 materials.

What do you do?

Edited by cod2 on 30 March 2015 at 10:37pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4819 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 2 of 9
30 March 2015 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
Are you trying to confirm your L2 skill by the number of sentences you mined ? because reading, listening and watching a lot of l2, you probably came accross more than 10K L2 sentences and in a more efficient way than any mining would have.

Go on reading, listening and watching - don't hesitate to read, listen and watch the same material many times with random intervals. Test yourself on new material.

I like AJATT a lot but he also write "Advice On How To Take Advice (Including Mine)".
So free your mind from the 10k sentences mining - it seems to me you are doing better already.

3 persons have voted this message useful

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3344 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 3 of 9
31 March 2015 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
Do listen/reading on a novel and then after you're done, review a random sampling of head-sentences of paragraphs. These seem more likely to me to produce memorable gems from the work. Then cut out sentences that are too long or too short, and maybe just pick a few that you find interesting. For example here are a few I picked using this method from "20.000 Mijlen onder Zee". Each sentence stands pretty well on its own, and if you are familiar with the story they recall the scene and related events from the work.

1. In handelszaken is dit mogelijk Ned, maar niet in de wiskunde.
2. “Een ander die beter bij de hand is!” schreeuwde de kapitein, “500 dollars voor hem die het verwenschte beest raakt!”
3. Men berekent dat het water op den aardbol eene oppervlakte beslaat van 3.751.322.76 vierkante myriameter of meer dan 37½ millioen hectaren.
4. De zee was op een kilometer afstands rondom de Nautilus duidelijk zichtbaar.
5. “Nu heeft vriend Land gelijk.” zeide Koenraad, “en ik ben het met hem eens.”

For example, if you wanted to drill vocabulary, you could produce such a list of 100 sentences from each book you read and then use the "cloze" option in Anki and remove the difficult words from each sentence. Having already read the story, you should be able to fill them in with just this prompt. Note that if you mine 100 sentences from each book (100 would be a good upper limit for me - more than that and I'd rather just read the book again in its entirety) then you'll have to read 100 books in your target language to make it to your 10000 sentence goal.

4 persons have voted this message useful

day1
Groupie
Latvia
Joined 3694 days ago

93 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 4 of 9
31 March 2015 at 7:51am | IP Logged 
Tatoeba

Also, many dictionaries give sample sentences for words with somewhat difficult usage
2 persons have voted this message useful

chokofingrz
Pentaglot
England
Joined 4991 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Catalan, Luxembourgish

Message 5 of 9
31 March 2015 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
If you like browsing sentences on Tatoeba in your chosen language, but would prefer to browse them all offline in txt or Excel, someone wrote a simple shell script to extract all the relevant sentences from the 200MB database download they freely offer.

However, if the language is a big one I think it is better to extract a subset and work with 1000-2000 sentences maximum (larger files slow my computer down). Even for relatively unpopular languages (e.g. Slovakian, 1700 sentences) it can create a nice starting point to work from.

If anybody wants to do that but isn't technically minded, I could provide a link to all the files I just extracted. By the way, in this method the sentences don't come with any translations.

cod2
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4356 days ago

48 posts - 69 votes 

Message 6 of 9
01 April 2015 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for all the answers. Always useful to get different perspectives.

chokofingrz wrote:
If you like browsing sentences on Tatoeba in your chosen language, but would prefer to browse them all offline in txt or Excel, someone wrote a simple shell script to extract all the relevant sentences from the 200MB database download they freely offer.

However, if the language is a big one I think it is better to extract a subset and work with 1000-2000 sentences maximum (larger files slow my computer down). Even for relatively unpopular languages (e.g. Slovakian, 1700 sentences) it can create a nice starting point to work from.

If anybody wants to do that but isn't technically minded, I could provide a link to all the files I just extracted. By the way, in this method the sentences don't come with any translations.

That's a great suggestion chokofingrz. I didn't know Tatoeba offers a full download. I tried to use their random sentence feature but it gets tedious after a while, as it mostly brings back useless sentences.
1 person has voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5009 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 7 of 9
02 April 2015 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
I've been putting sentences into Anki cards for a few years now, although I still don't think I'm quite at 10000! My main sources are online articles/news/blogs/etc. (I especially seek out stuff that has a lot of everyday/colloquial language) and Kindle books (using the highlighting feature). I also sometimes take sentences from films/videos, although that can be a bit more awkward as I generally have to pause, maybe rewind to be sure I've got it correctly, and type it in manually. I also like example sentences from grammar books and dictionaries, but they're not a major source.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4335 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 8 of 9
02 April 2015 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
If you use a plugin like Firelang for Firefox, or Readlang for Chrome, you can automatically save and export sentences into SRS for words you look up.

It makes the generation of relevant sentences for Anki really painless.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version