Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How do you master a course?

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Poll Question: How do you master a course?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [18.75%]
13 [81.25%]
You can not vote in this poll

19 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7007 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 1 of 19
09 March 2015 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
What have you found is the best approach?
1 person has voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4861 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 2 of 19
10 March 2015 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
Zip through, then use native materials, then return much later to patch up things that didn't stick from input.
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5064 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 3 of 19
10 March 2015 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
Neither option for me. A structured course serves to provide me with a foundation as I go along with a multi-track approach. So by using this approach, a course is one of the tools in my arsenal that is used more heavily at the start and less and less as I begin teaching myself through native materials as soon as possible, along with the course. The course becomes more of a way to explain what I am seeing, speaking and hearing in the real world and reinforces it. It then declines in importance in actually teaching me. It soon reaches the point of- "Oh! That's why they say it that way!". I rarely "finish" a course and don't go back to it, but my way isn't for everyone.

Edited by iguanamon on 14 March 2015 at 7:12pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4246 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 4 of 19
10 March 2015 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
I'd zip through the material and then repeat after. For me it gets rather boring to be repeating the exact same
things over and over. The way I learn to play a song on a piano is to find a sound recording and listen a few
times. Then I'd play the piece through at least once so I know what is involved. Finally I'd work on different
sections individually.

When you are doing speed reading, you'd read a chapter through quickly to get the context instead of keeping
your eyes on a word or phrase for too long.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5147 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 5 of 19
10 March 2015 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
I read through each manual once, then proceed to another one. I never review completed courses. As a matter of fact, I don't review individual lessons either.

I read language learning manuals like I would any other type of book.
3 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5110 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 6 of 19
10 March 2015 at 5:34am | IP Logged 
I zip through one course after another, each course being more detailled that the previous. For example:

1. Teach Yourself Instant XXX (0.5cm thick)
2. Teach Yourself Beginners XXX (1cm thick)
3. Teach Yourself XXX (2cm thick)
4. Colloquial XXX (2cm thick)
5. XXX Grammar, 200 pages
6. XXX Grammar, 500 pages

One or more chapters per day. I make sure I understand the grammar, but I don't do the excercises. THEN I get a

7. Schaum's Outlines XXX

or similar workbook, and do all the exercises out loud. It'd be quite effortless at this point, because you'd have seen all the grammar so many times already, systematically presented and fully explained every time. In fact, some chapters would be too easy and I simply skip them.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4385 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 7 of 19
10 March 2015 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
I work through each lesson one at a time until I feel I have mastered it, ie. until I have learned all the vocabulary, listened to all the dialogues multiple times and written out the exercises several times as well. I then move onto a new lesson, but often go back and revise the old ones (especially the audio).

If I just read a lesson once I don't think I would retain much of it and I certainly wouldn't know the vocab by heart.

Does it partly depends on what language you are learning and how many available resources there are, though? When I was trying to learn French many years ago I had lots of different course books and if I got bored with one I could read another one. Now I'm learning Macedonian and I'm fairly sure there is only one English-language textbook for the language. So I need to work through that slowly and make sure I get the most out of it because all the wonderful things which smallwhite lists don't exist to move on to!
5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6399 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 8 of 19
10 March 2015 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
As much or little as I need to be able to get comprehensible input.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version