Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How do you master a course?

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Poll Question: How do you master a course?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [18.75%]
13 [81.25%]
You can not vote in this poll

19 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5177 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 9 of 19
10 March 2015 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
I found that following the actual instructions on the course is always good... pimsleur's daily rule w/ 80%, etc. Assimil 20 minutes every day, etc. I figure the people that produce the courses have a pretty good idea of how to use them most effectively.

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4811 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 10 of 19
10 March 2015 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
Well, I don't "master" a course, my goal is to "master" the language.

So, I get through several sources at once, sometimes I take large pauses and come back to
the course or not, sometimes I do all the exercises, sometimes I skip a part of the
lesson that is not needed at the moment. While the instructions on the course have some
merit, I follow what has worked in past.

I fall in neither of the two options. I do not repeat courses but I do not dwell on the
same lesson to perfection or ad nauseam, whichever would come first.
6 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5009 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 19
11 March 2015 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
I've previously fallen into the trap of wanting to "master" courses and trying to learn every last word, expression, and grammar point in Assimil. My logic was that if I had a good knowledge of everything in the book, I'd have a very solid base and be able to speak quite well.

That may be right, but I don't think it's an effective or enjoyable way of doing things. Moreover, course authors aren't perfect - some words in Assimil aren't that important, and some important words aren't in Assimil - and which words are important also depends on your own goals and interests.

Now I think it's much better to make a good effort with the course and learn most of it, maybe revise the difficult parts again, but then move on and not worry about getting 100%. Any important gaps will soon fill themselves in anyway as you continue to learn the language with other courses, native materials, and interaction with people.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4811 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 12 of 19
12 March 2015 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
Smallwhite, what is in general the difference between all the TY courses? Is it useful to
take the shorter ones as well? Is it more like additional dialogues or are there things
that really add to the full TY?

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4968 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 13 of 19
13 March 2015 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
I try to get hold of as many beginner's courses as possible and hope one will help reinforce the other. When it comes to popular languages, it's a given that you will have a neverending source. But then with minor languages I made the mistake of being too obsessed with book completion and I kept proceeding when I had less than 50% of the content of each lesson learned even passively.

With Georgian: I ran out of textbooks but I didn't have enough vocabulary for reading native materials even with a translation. After 2 years of struggle, I decided to go back to review some textbooks and now I take a two-lane approach (if I may, mr. iguanamon) with the parallel reading of native materials reinforcing what I review through the course. The problem is most textbooks teach you so many details of grammar that you won't be able to keep enough stuff in your RAM memory to actually analize a sentence and understand it. Another problem is they want you to learn everything that is in a kitchen, for example, instead of allowing you to get around with for, knife, plate and napkin before moving on to the living room, for example.
4 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5110 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 14 of 19
13 March 2015 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Smallwhite, what is in general the difference between all the TY courses? Is it useful to take the shorter ones as well? Is it more like additional dialogues or are there things that really add to the full TY?

Hi,

I highly recommend doing all 3, in that order - Instant, Beginners, Complete.

Both Beginners and Complete have about 60 minutes of L2 audio, and Instant about 45 (ie. English removed).

3. "Complete L2" is your typical/stereotype TY course with dialogues and (shallow) grammar explanations, covering past and future tenses, maybe not covering the subjunctive and the passive voice, I'm not sure.

2. "Beginners L2" is a cross between a language textbook and a traveller's phrasebook. A good one. The contents are varied and engaging. Covers hotel booking in the present tense, car rental in the present tense, and other stuff like that in the present tense. This is a very good book.

1. "Instant L2" looks like a language course, but is actually a "L2 is easy! Look, you're speaking it already!" hypnosis session on CD. If you remove the English hypnotist's voice from the audio, the L2 audio shows you how to say all sorts of different things with just 100-ish (?) words.

So book 1 teachings very few things, repeats them in all different directions, and gets you acquainted with the essentials. Book 2 is narrow but deep. Book 3 is wide but shallow. They complement each other. I found it very productive to study all 3 books, in that order. But then I get my books from the library, so I don't know how much they cost and can't say whether they're worth buying.

PS. I also use "Instant L2" to get myself to start speaking, or to brush up my rusty speaking.

Edited by smallwhite on 13 March 2015 at 1:51pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4811 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 15 of 19
16 March 2015 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot for the explanation!

Kees
Nonaglot
Canada
learn-to-read-foreig
Joined 4986 days ago

37 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, Swedish, French, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Hungarian

Message 16 of 19
27 March 2015 at 4:10am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Well, I don't "master" a course, my goal is to "master" the language.

Totally agree. I "mastered" the Teach Yourself Urdu course by zipping through it, then
repeating and repeating until I kind of knew it by head. But mastering the course gets
you only so far. I could communicate a bit with a Pakistani Taxi driver, or in an
Indian restaurant.

Then I started to read dual language childrens books and eventually Harry Potter in
Urdu (which was the only Urdu book back then I could find on Amazon). However that
went extremely slow, and I used a big dictionary which slowed down reading. I tried
BBC (switching from Urdu to English to get translations) or use google or bing pop-up
translation, but often those translations are wrong, or not in context, or offer some
kind of multiple choice.

I'm working on some pop-up translated texts on my website for Urdu. I checked around a
bit but there's not much yet, readlang hasn't got any texts in Urdu yet.

In other words, it's difficult to get from "mastering a course" to mastering the
language, and I would only consider myself to have mastered Urdu when I'm able to read
a book fluently.

But so yes I zipped through and then repeated the course a few times (back when I
still had more free time).

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version